You can type here any text you want

My new "build"

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
hey coach how much boost were you running when you ran that 12.5
23 psi. I never launched my car hard. I didnt want to hurt my stock engine because I knew I was building another to beat on. My car has 25k on it.

Just got my heads back. Finally ready to reassemble

Attachments

• image-1034018209.jpg
    image-1034018209.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 122
  • image-534638447.jpg
    image-534638447.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 126
torquing them down wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. I thought doing it with studs, with the Hvac unit, and on the car, it would be near imposible. Turns out the drivers side was harder because of the steerin shaft got in the way. Only took about half an hour to torque though.

Attachments

• IMG_4891.jpg
    IMG_4891.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 116
Thought we told you NOT to run that intake?
Im not being an ass, but your gonna hate what you get. You could sell it and get a CNC ported stocker that will take you into the low 9's.
This is the reason for posting. You listen to the guys who have made the mistakes already, or who have cars that fly. Ttypewhite told you the same thing. his car makes over 1000 horsepower. I have $30,000 in my build so far and it will make close to 900horsepower...and I was told NOT to invest in that intake...and I didn't.
You will find advise hard to come by, from reliable sources if you don't follow it.
Your building for looks, so you might as well chrome it. It's not gonna run very well. Your motor shifts at 5200...that intake doesn't start breathing until then. The plenum is way too large.

coach said:
Thought we told you NOT to run that intake?
Im not being an ass, but your gonna hate what you get. You could sell it and get a CNC ported stocker that will take you into the low 9's.
This is the reason for posting. You listen to the guys who have made the mistakes already, or who have cars that fly. Ttypewhite told you the same thing. his car makes over 1000 horsepower. I have $30,000 in my build so far and it will make close to 900horsepower...and I was told NOT to invest in that intake...and I didn't.
You will find advise hard to come by, from reliable sources if you don't follow it.
Your building for looks, so you might as well chrome it. It's not gonna run very well. Your motor shifts at 5200...that intake doesn't start breathing until then. The plenum is way too large.

Although he won't see power from the intake it isn't hurting anything other than the it's weight. Adding plenum volume is a positive on any engine. It slows the air down as it enters the intake and allows less pressure pulsation as the valves open and close. I'd be willing to bet egt's are more equalized on alky injected engines also though I haven't proven it. I've tested a maximized stock intake vs the champion and there was no difference in power. The stock intake I used had about as large a runner volume you could get. The outside of runners had material added so the port could be squared all the way to the plenum area eliminating the slope. The test engine was the engine in my black car. 138+ trap on 93/alky and 24-25psi

bison said:
Although he won't see power from the intake it isn't hurting anything other than the it's weight. Adding plenum volume is a positive on any engine. It slows the air down as it enters the intake and allows less pressure pulsation as the valves open and close. I'd be willing to bet egt's are more equalized on alky injected engines also though I haven't proven it. I've tested a maximized stock intake vs the champion and there was no difference in power. The stock intake I used had about as large a runner volume you could get. The outside of runners had material added so the port could be squared all the way to the plenum area eliminating the slope. The test engine was the engine in my black car. 138+ trap on 93/alky and 24-25psi

Brian,
Mike Ricketts and I were just stating that is worth selling and adding other things that would benefit his combo. The inside numbers are crap unless you are going to push it to its total limits, and then he will find something broke trying to get there.
I asked about this intake for my build, and even with my killer GN1's...I was told by the builder and tuner...it won't be needed. I'm close to 850-900 at the flywheel, but you know this.

got everything back together, put some oil and zddp in and started it up..brought up to 2500, it ran for about a minute or so and i noticed some smoke. Shut it down and walked around to the front and noticed it was just some of the header coating burning off.. anyway I called it quits for the night and went out the next day to break the cam in and I checked the oil before (thank god) and it was milkshaked. I did a pressure test on the radiator and it held 15psi. So I blew out the oil cooler with some brake clean and air, started it and ran it for 2 min then checked the oil again. It was clear. So tonight I'll be breaking it in for the full 30min. Was that just left over water that somehow got in the oil?

didnt want to see this

Attachments

• IMG_0687.jpg
    IMG_0687.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 134
got everything back together, put some oil and zddp in and started it up..brought up to 2500, it ran for about a minute or so and i noticed some smoke. Shut it down and walked around to the front and noticed it was just some of the header coating burning off.. anyway I called it quits for the night and went out the next day to break the cam in and I checked the oil before (thank god) and it was milkshaked. I did a pressure test on the radiator and it held 15psi. So I blew out the oil cooler with some brake clean and air, started it and ran it for 2 min then checked the oil again. It was clear. So tonight I'll be breaking it in for the full 30min. Was that just left over water that somehow got in the oil?

You saw milkshake oil and decided to clean the oil cooler and not change the oil? You ran the engine after seeing the emulsified oil on the dipstick vs. A oil change...why?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You saw milkshake oil and decided to clean the oil cooler and not change the oil? You ran the engine after seeing the emulsified oil on the dipstick vs. A oil change...why?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Whoops, I thought I put that in there.. Yeah I put fresh oil in with zddp after.

Changed oil, all clear now. Car runs strong. Only problem is the trans won't go past 4500 or so..re adjusted cable and replaced the cable no change.

Back