My turbo flange is different? What is this?

nolanator

@none_more_black
I was in the process if putting on a turbo I bought from a member on here and for some reason the downpipe just didn't want to fit. At a glance, everything looked similar but comparing the two, they aren't at all.

The top turbo is the one I just took off the car. The bottom is the one I am installing. This is driving me insane. Can someone identify this flange and tell me where I can buy a downpipe for it?

http://imgur.com/vxf27Vh

Last edited:
Looks to me as tho the old turbo had the wg hole hogged out for the external gate. The new turbo is currently set up for an external gate...

Bison will be along soon, and save the day!:smuggrin:
A couple measurements that may be the answer??
T31 (T3) turbine housing with 4 bolt outlet (2.5" bolt spacing). Fits turbine wheel found on all GT30 and GT35 series ball bearing turbos such GT3071R, GT3076R, GT3082R, GT35R (GT3582R), GTX30, GTX35. This is the alternate T3 housing with the narrower 4 bolt pattern and NOT the standard "GT 4 bolt" housing where the exhaust flange bolt spacing is 3" and has a longer tapered discharge on the downpipe side

Bison will be along soon, and save the day!:smuggrin:
A couple measurements that may be the answer??
T31 (T3) turbine housing with 4 bolt outlet (2.5" bolt spacing). Fits turbine wheel found on all GT30 and GT35 series ball bearing turbos such GT3071R, GT3076R, GT3082R, GT35R (GT3582R), GTX30, GTX35. This is the alternate T3 housing with the narrower 4 bolt pattern and NOT the standard "GT 4 bolt" housing where the exhaust flange bolt spacing is 3" and has a longer tapered discharge on the downpipe side

Another possibility: Ask the guy you got it from, what dp he had on it??

Another possibility: Ask the guy you got it from, what dp he had on it??

I messaged him although the chances of him receiving the message are slim since he is an inactive member. I just ended up putting the Precision turbo back on the car.

what are the 2 turbos "supposed" to be?
sizes?any info that was passed down from previous owner.
what was the newer one sold as?

what are the 2 turbos "supposed" to be?
sizes?any info that was passed down from previous owner.
what was the newer one sold as?

I apologize. I don't see how its relevant, but the old turbo is a T64E with a Garrett .60 A/R compressor housing. The new turbo is a Garrett TO4R/67mm.

I apologize. I don't see how its relevant, but the old turbo is a T64E with a Garrett .60 A/R compressor housing. The new turbo is a Garrett TO4R/67mm.
Maybe knowing the type of unit you are working with you can search downpipe,?Look @pics with those numbers and match a downpipe.
Also for my own knowledge,like to put housings and numbers together to maybe eyeball the type of turbo im looking at.
thanks

Maybe knowing the type of unit you are working with you can search downpipe,?Look @pics with those numbers and match a downpipe.
Also for my own knowledge,like to put housings and numbers together to maybe eyeball the type of turbo im looking at.
thanks

If it helps, i'll provide any info you need :)

You can do any the following:
-Omit the bolt that doesn't line up and use one of my bypass hole relocation plates.
-send me a 2D drawing of a plate that has everything where you want it and I can have it laser cut. If the odd ball hole is bothering you you can install a countersunk faster through your designed plate and have the plate with a new hole location which can be tapped and threaded in the correct location and use a shorter bolt in that location. 3/8 thick plate is enough for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can do any the following:
-Omit the bolt that doesn't line up and use one of my bypass hole relocation plates.
-send me a 2D drawing of a plate that has everything where you want it and I can have it laser cut. If the odd ball hole is bothering you you can install a countersunk faster through your designed plate and have the plate with a new hole location which can be tapped and threaded in the correct location and use a shorter bolt in that location. 3/8 thick plate is enough for this
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up just putting my Precision turbo back on the car. I'm just going to try to unload this turbo for cheap and put the money toward something else.

I ended up just putting my Precision turbo back on the car. I'm just going to try to unload this turbo for cheap and put the money toward something else.

IMO, (and I say this with the utmost respect to the OP) if Bison is trying/willing to help you, why don't you consult with him to match you up with a turbo that would best fit your application/needs. There's probably nobody better in the business.... Leave that shit for the experts.... For example, I know as much about turbos, cams, converters, motors..... and matching them up, as I do about the human body, so, therefore, I consult with people who are experts to inform me so I can make an educated decisions on what's best for me. Just as I would consult a doctor if I had a medical problem. Sure, there's the Internet, but no amount of reading/research can match hands-on experience.... None! And this helps me a lot, because by doing so I don't have a garage full of parts that I have no use for, and more so, money that could/have spent elsewhere. I learned my lesson from the $2k Turbonetics 60-1 ceramic bb turbo that's sitting in a box in my garage..... Good luck!

IMO, (and I say this with the utmost respect to the OP) if Bison is trying/willing to help you, why don't you consult with him to match you up with a turbo that would best fit your application/needs. There's probably nobody better in the business.... Leave that shit for the experts.... For example, I know as much about turbos, cams, converters, motors..... and matching them up, as I do about the human body, so, therefore, I consult with people who are experts to inform me so I can make an educated decisions on what's best for me. Just as I would consult a doctor if I had a medical problem. Sure, there's the Internet, but no amount of reading/research can match hands-on experience.... None! And this helps me a lot, because by doing so I don't have a garage full of parts that I have no use for, and more so, money that could/have spent elsewhere. I learned my lesson from the $2k Turbonetics 60-1 ceramic bb turbo that's sitting in a box in my garage..... Good luck!

Because unless you're offering to front the bill, I'm not in the position to spend $1500 at the moment.

Because unless you're offering to front the bill, I'm not in the position to spend $1500 at the moment.
It would be much less than that...
But short of buying a new turbo, contact him about getting you the correct housing for what you have or even to upgrade your original turbo. He rebuilds and modifies turbos ...
Worth finding out. ...

Bryan

It would be much less than that...
But short of buying a new turbo, contact him about getting you the correct housing for what you have or even to upgrade your original turbo. He rebuilds and modifies turbos ...
Worth finding out. ...

Bryan
Please don't get me wrong. I do plan on making changes to my turbo setup, but the only real reason I wanted to swap turbos was because I just had it lying around. If Bison can get me a turbine housing that would work correctly, i wouldn't pass it up, but at the moment, my current Precision 66mm is functioning pretty well. I do appreciate the advice and if Bison is up to it, I'd be happy to send in my turbo to him for some TLC in the near future.

IMHO, run your turbo and learn the car. In a previous post Bison told you that other turbo wouldn't do much for you anyway. Have you actually gone down the track with it yet? It looks like you have plenty to work with.

IMHO, run your turbo and learn the car. In a previous post Bison told you that other turbo wouldn't do much for you anyway. Have you actually gone down the track with it yet? It looks like you have plenty to work with.

Because I'm spraying as well, I was looking for a turbo that would breathe a little better up top.