Mythbusters tackles the plane/treadmill

Will the plane takeoff?

• Yes: The plane will takeoff.

Votes: 72 56.7%
  • No: The plane will not takeoff.

Votes: 55 43.3%

• Total voters
:eek: Well while u guys bicker over this tredmill thing I am going to sand the paint off the 82 regal limited body (now on sawhorses all gutted out :biggrin:

I just skimmed through all 7 pages of this thread to take the intellectual pulse, so to speak. I've seen a lot of arguments with a lot of concepts and rationalization used in an attempt to support them. I've seen a lot of stupidity, too. But what I haven't see is any real analysis of the problem.

What would a physicist do?

The first thing he'd do is draw a free body diagram and label the forces acting on the plane.

I'm not going to draw a free-body diagram, but I will use the picture below as a substitution:

ittakesoff.jpg

The forces acting on the plane, in the horizontal (or x) direction are:

T (thrust - positive x direction)
R (rolling friction - negative x direction)
D (drag - negative x direction)

The TOTAL force is given by summing these up:

F=T-R-D

Everybody knows that F=ma, so we can calculate the acceleration of the plane:

F=ma=T-R-D

a=(T-R-D)/m

The acceleration of a plane is pretty high, therefore we can conclude that T is much much greater than R and D.

Now a quick word about rolling friction:

A spinning tire has rolling friction, due to the bearings, air, etc... This friction is constant. So a tire spinning at 10 rpm has the same amount of friction as a tire spinning at 100 rpm, or 1000 rpm. But the diagram shows that rolling friction decreases as the plane's velocity increases. How can this be? This is because friction is a function of force, or weight. As the plane picks up speed, lift is generated due to the wings, the force due to weight reduces, and so does the friction.

Now if you consider a plane sitting on a treadmill. The brakes are off and the engines are off. The plane is free to roll in the +/- x direction.

If you turn the treadmill on such that it's surface is moving in the -x direction and speed it to 100 mph, what happens to the plane? What forces are acting on it?

The only force acting on it is rolling friction. The plane will begin to accelerate in the -x direction at a rate given by the amount of friction. And we know that the rolling friction is pretty small. So the plane will not instantly move at 100 mph in the -x direction. It will slowly accelerate to 100 mph in the -x direction. And when I say "slowly", I mean slowly. Rolling friction is approximately equivalent to a coefficient of 0.003. At that rate of acceleration, it would take approximately 25 minutes to "catch up" to the speed of the treadmill of 100 mph.

However, since rolling friction is constant, this is the same acceleration working against the plane during a normal runway takeoff.

So let's now look at the forces acting on a plane under the treadmill scenario, where the treadmill matches the speed of the plane.

The forces are:

F=T-R-D

the acceleration of the plane on the treadmill is found by:

F=ma=T-R-D

a=(T-R-D)/m

Are any of these forces different from the runway condition?

Thrust from the engines T is the same, regardless of runway or treadmill.
Rolling friction R is the same, regardless of runway of treadmill.
Drag D is the same, regardless of runway or treadmill.

So a plane will take off from a treadmill just the same as it would take off on a runway. Therefore,

The treadmill is irrelevant

I just skimmed through all 7 pages of this thread to take the intellectual pulse, so to speak. I've seen a lot of arguments with a lot of concepts and rationalization used in an attempt to support them. I've seen a lot of stupidity, too. But what I haven't see is any real analysis of the problem.

What would a physicist do?

The first thing he'd do is draw a free body diagram and label the forces acting on the plane.

I'm not going to draw a free-body diagram, but I will use the picture below as a substitution:

ittakesoff.jpg

The forces acting on the plane, in the horizontal (or x) direction are:

F=T-R-D

Everybody knows that F=ma, so we can calculate the acceleration of the plane:

F=ma=T-R-D

a=(T-R-D)/m

The acceleration of a plane is pretty high, therefore we can conclude that T is much much greater than R and D.

Now a quick word about rolling friction:

A spinning tire has rolling friction, due to the bearings, air, etc... This friction is constant. So a tire spinning at 10 rpm has the same amount of friction as a tire spinning at 100 rpm, or 1000 rpm. But the diagram shows that rolling friction decreases as the plane's velocity increases. How can this be? This is because friction is a function of force, or weight. As the plane picks up speed, lift is generated due to the wings, the force due to weight reduces, and so does the friction.

Now if you consider a plane sitting on a treadmill. The brakes are off and the engines are off. The plane is free to roll in the +/- x direction.

If you turn the treadmill on such that it's surface is moving in the -x direction and speed it to 100 mph, what happens to the plane? What forces are acting on it?

The only force acting on it is rolling friction. The plane will begin to accelerate in the -x direction at a rate given by the amount of friction. And we know that the rolling friction is pretty small. So the plane will not instantly move at 100 mph in the -x direction. It will slowly accelerate to 100 mph in the -x direction. And when I say "slowly", I mean slowly. Rolling friction is approximately equivalent to a coefficient of 0.003. At that rate of acceleration, it would take approximately 25 minutes to "catch up" to the speed of the treadmill of 100 mph.

However, since rolling friction is constant, this is the same acceleration working against the plane during a normal runway takeoff.

So let's now look at the forces acting on a plane under the treadmill scenario, where the treadmill matches the speed of the plane.

The forces are:

F=T-R-D

the acceleration of the plane on the treadmill is found by:

F=ma=T-R-D

a=(T-R-D)/m

Are any of these forces different from the runway condition?

Thrust from the engines T is the same, regardless of runway or treadmill.
Rolling friction R is the same, regardless of runway of treadmill.
Drag D is the same, regardless of runway or treadmill.

So a plane will take off from a treadmill just the same as it would take off on a runway. Therefore,

Uh, I think I will stick with the short version of the "747 on the frozen pond" senario by Ken B. :biggrin:

Your knowledge of aviation is lacking.

An altimeter does not tell you how fast an aircraft is approaching the ground. An altimeter only tells you how far you are from sea level. It makes this assumption based upon barometric pressure. Every time you take off you have to calibrate an altimeter to atmospheric conditions in order for it to give you a relatively accurate measure of altitude.

Altitude is not a measure of distance from the ground it is a measure of your distance from sea level. (I told you this before, apparently you did not read it) For every 1000 feet you go up you lose 1"HG of pressure. An altimeter is nothing more than a fancy barometer.

Repeat after me, Altimeters Do NOT tell you where the ground is!

There is an instrument that measures how fast you are changing in altitude, and that is the vertical speed indicator. An altimeter does not tell you how quickly you are changing altitude unless you have a supercomputer for a brain. Most people don't and thats why most aircraft have a VSI. It too operates based upon pressure changes. I could tell you how it works but I'd be wasting my breath.

Neither of these instruments have anything to do with where the ground is in an airplane. For that you need maps and navigation equipment to know what the terrain is like around you.

The treadmill is irrelevant. Nothing the treadmill could do can counteract anything the airplane is doing. Airplanes move air to fly, not ground.

your not seeing the thought experiment. i made a video to show why the plane does move forward. it leaves the initial starting point of the treadmill. it does not sit in place. nowhere in the riddle is it stated that the treadmill holds the plane in place. it cant, because the wheels are free spinning. watch the video.

crap wont let me post link since i'm new member. its on photobucket, username RogerPodacter. it will clear things up.

your not seeing the thought experiment. i made a video to show why the plane does move forward. it leaves the initial starting point of the treadmill. it does not sit in place. nowhere in the riddle is it stated that the treadmill holds the plane in place. it cant, because the wheels are free spinning. watch the video.

crap wont let me post link since i'm new member. its on photobucket, username RogerPodacter. it will clear things up.

Why did you quote me? Everything I have said agrees and supports the fact that the plane will fly. Are you sure you didn't quote me on accident?

and Lyonsd, Love the picard pic... LOL so fitting!

I would have sooo done Mary-Ann.

On or off of a treadmill :tongue: :biggrin:
LOL I SECOND that!!!!!!!!! Seen her on a talk show a while back, the woman is still fine, expecially for her age! Far as the plane goes, WHO CARES OK sheeeesh. Bottom line is if it moves faster than the belt , get wind over the wings, it flys. If the belt runs fast enough that the drag of the tires on it keeps the plane still it will not fly end of discussion lol. Daniel Ray:biggrin: :biggrin:

Anyone else?

Yeah. How the hell is this plane supposed to fly if it has a treadmill attached to it? Or is the treadmill on wheels? And are they frictionless wheels?

And what if we put a remote controlled plane on a treadmill INSIDE a plane while the plane was on a treadmill?!?

Why did you quote me? Everything I have said agrees and supports the fact that the plane will fly. Are you sure you didn't quote me on accident?

and Lyonsd, Love the picard pic... LOL so fitting!

oh crap yeah i quoted the wrong person. my bad!!