You can type here any text you want

NA Block question.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MrRed

so I eventually want too build up a 3.8 but I have a question. years ago I bought a carbed turbo 3.8. I still think I have access too the block but nothing else, would this be a good foundation to throw fuel injected goodies on? or is it even possible? not looking to build a monster here. I think the shortblock is complete. I searched but it seems 84 is as old as I can find. I'm thinking the engine was from a 79 monte carlo

Any of the Buick V6 blocks from 78 up can be used. The differences are a slight deck height difference and revised oiling. You can drill the oil return line hole at the front of the block, or change it to the pan.

ok thanks, I was just wondering about the internals being possibly stronger compared to a non turbo unit. wasn't sure if the carbed models were stronger or not back then.

I believe that blocks built prior to 1982 do not have a notch ground in the main oil passage for rod bolt clearance if you are using 2 dot rods. The stock rods do not have a problem. I remember building a 1980 block with 2 dot GN rods and ARP bolts, and the rod bolt from # 1 cylinder hit the block. I had to grind a notch. Am I correct Charlief1?

I believe that blocks built prior to 1982 do not have a notch ground in the main oil passage for rod bolt clearance if you are using 2 dot rods. The stock rods do not have a problem. I remember building a 1980 block with 2 dot GN rods and ARP bolts, and the rod bolt from # 1 cylinder hit the block. I had to grind a notch. Am I correct Charlief1?

Kinda strange. Never had that issue myself but there are variations in the blocks where I could see it happening. All the blocks I've delt with and have now, I've never seen it.

Back