Name that turbo!

pnad

Yes, it's another one of those threads.

I recently purchased a 87 TR. Previous owner didnt do any of the work himself and his records were not perfect. He thought the turbo was a TA-49, but it is obviously not stock appearing.

It has a TE style compressor housing with the wastegate tap on the scroll and the integral inlet bell. The exhaust housing is a precision .63A/R.

Is there any way to tell the difference between a TE34 and a TE44 besides removing the compressor housing and measuring the wheel?

Thanks guys!

I can't say 100% certain but I believe the TE-34 requires a step-up hose from 2.75" to 3" where a 44 has no step up hose and a 3" inlet. Someone correct me if I am wrong because I never owned a 44.

Thanks Intercooler.

I do still have the stock MAF hose on there.
Not sure what the diameter of that hose is (still a newbie)
Do you have a TE34?
Are the compressor housings the same size?
Maybe TE34 and TE44 owners could list the diameters of thier compressor housings.

Are there any other clues I could look for to help the experts identify the mystery turbo?

How difficult is it to pull off the compressor housing and measure the wheel?

thanks again

if it came from prescision it should have the size scratched into the surface the i/c hose clamps onto.

if you pull the i/c hose off you should be able to find it scratched in it but it might be on the bottom