Need advice on launching this thing

jskarateka

Been trying to get some decent 60ft times at the track with my setup. I have been practicing and reading other threads, but could use some specific advise from you guys. My best is 1.86 but I can usually only manage around 2.00.

I don’t have the best setup for a good launch; No suspension upgrades other than a Kirban pinion snubber. Nitto 275/50 15 drag radials on stock GN wheels. 2400-2500 restalled D5 converter at 5psi. I plan on getting a looser converter in the future but my job is in jeopardy now and I can't do it at this time.

My car does build and hold boost well at the line. (10+ psi is no problem). I usually try and leave about 6 psi. Lower than that and its a little flat leaving the line because of the low RPMs. Higher than that I wind up loosing traction

My questions are:

1) What tire pressure at the track would you recommend on the Nitto's.

2) Do you guys always release the foot brake instantly, or do you "roll" it off to help maintain traction at higher boost?

3) Burn out or no burn out? I've read some that say it doesn't help much with drag radials.

4) Any other advice?

The car does run well at the track. My best ET since I installed the Alky was 13.20 @ 106.9 with a spinning 60ft time of 2.27. Couldn't hook all day but it was April in Chicago (60 degrees and overcast). Opening weekend at track, conditions sucked.

Thanks guys.

I have no experience with DR's but I would imagine with their compound they need to be heated just like a slick.

Off the brake instantly. You can try a couple of e-brake launches too. e-brake plus service brake. Off the service brake and pull the e-brake release at the same time.

I ran 12 pounds in my MT sportmans and I thought I got hit by a buss from behind. The nittos probably will respond to low 20's baybe even 18-19 psi.

Play with it a bit. Just remember when you go to the line cold at 20 psi (tire), do a burn out, launch, run, and then do a hot lap your pressures will probably be a little higher due to heat. 2-4 psi is likely, but it's enough to screw your launch.

Tires make the run.

Been trying to get some decent 60ft times at the track with my setup. I have been practicing and reading other threads, but could use some specific advise from you guys. My best is 1.86 but I can usually only manage around 2.00.

I don’t have the best setup for a good launch; No suspension upgrades other than a Kirban pinion snubber. Nitto 275/50 15 drag radials on stock GN wheels. 2400-2500 restalled D5 converter at 5psi. I plan on getting a looser converter in the future but my job is in jeopardy now and I can't do it at this time.

My car does build and hold boost well at the line. (10+ psi is no problem). I usually try and leave about 6 psi. Lower than that and its a little flat leaving the line because of the low RPMs. Higher than that I wind up loosing traction

My questions are:

1) What tire pressure at the track would you recommend on the Nitto's.

2) Do you guys always release the foot brake instantly, or do you "roll" it off to help maintain traction at higher boost?

3) Burn out or no burn out? I've read some that say it doesn't help much with drag radials.

4) Any other advice?

The car does run well at the track. My best ET since I installed the Alky was 13.20 @ 106.9 with a spinning 60ft time of 2.27. Couldn't hook all day but it was April in Chicago (60 degrees and overcast). Opening weekend at track, conditions sucked.

Thanks guys.

Look up some old threads on pinnion snubbers you might be suprised what u find out

I always had a hard time making the Nittos work with an avg 1.9x 60' with a best of 1.74 on a really really good track. A tire pressure of 18# - 20# and a decent burn-out seemed to work best for me but as my 60' times suggest I didn't have it figured out. After I got Hoosier QTP's (and later Mickey slicks) my normal 60' time is now 1.6x with no other changes. I have the stock original springs and shocks in all 4 corners and air bags in the rear.

+2 on the pinion snubber use. It has been proven to be negative rather than positive. Plenty of threads on the subject.

On paper you have a low12/high11 second car. I don't know about Nittos. M/Ts work for me. No regrets with them. Do you get any wheel hop or skip? The snubbers are famous for loading and then unloading at launch. Dump the snubber, get airbags, 20psi in rt, 10 in left. See what happens. Don't worry about an ebrake launch if you can hold 10lbs on the footbrake. That's all you need for a great 60'.

I took my snubber off and launched it into the lake, 6 skips was my record

Practice launching from your TPS on your scanmaster, you might be surprised once you find the sweet spot, you'll have it right there for consistency and get Bobs 2step.. what a fine little gizmo that is

Pinion Snubber

Crap, I threw the stock one out 2 years ago. Can you run without one or will it smack the "floor"?

I got one because I was following those old performance recipes on buickttype.org before I knew about this site.

Not getting any wheel hop or skip.

Thanks for all the help.

+1 on the snubber, and 'I' wouldn't launch it off the ebrake... to many instances of bent rear brake backing plates.... not good....

Ditch the stubber, 16-18 lbs, bags, and a VERY small burnout, you want just enough to clean the tires, NO WATER!!! And good luck