You can type here any text you want

Need better speakers.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DailyDrifter

The Slow and the Curious
This is for my 240sx. I replaced the stock speakers about a year ago and the front right speaker is blown now. I think I replaced the fronts with Infinities and in the rear I have Pioneers. I already have 1 12" infinity sub, but I need better mids. I think the door speaker size is 3.5". Whats the best speaker out there today for a decent price? I listen to all different types of music so I would need something with a good overall sound.

Edit: Crutchfield says the speakers are 4x6 in the front and 6.75" in the rear

use capsule crossovers on your next set

these are little crossovers that are bass blockers or some places have some called bass blockers. only reason you blew it is because it was distorting and you didn't hear it, maybe a song you jammed out to came on and you cranked it too high. replace it with what you had, infinity is a good brand for your setup unless you want to upgrade but i've never seen a 4x6 component set.

i don't have to look at them drift

i know what your looking at without clicking the page, the kappa series is a good set but the mid to lower end of the infinity series out there. good speakers for the price but i'm serious when i say spend an extra 5-10 and get the bass blockers. it'll save you the misery of pulling out the old wallet and R&R'ing them if they blow again. these speakers are ok but if you've got an amp on them i'd go with something alittle better and still get the blockers or if your running multiple amps get an external powered crossover. this will allow you to set your frequency and gain from the crossover. my personal fav is a dash mount crossover, the reason is because i listen to rap, rock, pop, and anything inbetween and every blue moon some country ( nothing like alittle hank ). the dash mount lets you adjust it per you personal taste and if you switch up it's right there below your radio if your running a half din radio ( aftermarket regular size radio not a double din which is the big face radio). if you do this, you will not need bass blockers. but this is only for multiple amp setups. let me know if i answered your ? or what.

I only have one amp for my sub, the other speakers are running off my Alpine headunit (newer unit). My sub drowns out the distortion in the other speakers. I dont have much knowledge when it comes to crossovers, so i'm kinda lost there. I dont want to spend too much cash because I have my motor being rebuilt....again :biggrin:. Could I get away with just running the regular speakers and bass blockers???? I also Have a double DIN and the bottom is wide open for anything.

Daily, think of it this way.

Your head unit gives out full range audio but your speakers are designed to perform in their certain range. Tweet is high range, mids are for mid range and bass is for low range,.. thats all based on frequency (hz) the stereo puts out.

If you block the signal with base blockers to the mids and highs so they can operate in their normal range without fear of them distorting because they are not designed for those signals.

The base blocker filters out the low frequencies. When we were kids, we would use a coil to eliminate the high signal from hitting the subs to let the sub have its sole range of low base.

So, with your head unit, you need to use that amp just for the sub, and turn down the low frequencies in the head unit for the front channel. All you need to do is listen to the speakers with the sub off, then if you under power them you can do damage to them just as over powering them

The best setup is to have a 5 or 8 volt preout from the head unit where you must run a mono amp, and a multi channel amp to get each speaker to shine in its preset design. That will give most clarity and you will be able to control each speakers thru different amps.

Im not a stereo guy, many others could explain it alot better.

I would just replace the speakers and make sure you dont buy too big of speakers that would be powered by a 200 watt amp, and your head unit is putting out 45 per channel.

In the long run, buy old fosgate stuff, they were underrated and thats what i have in my daily.
HTH
BW

I realize the tweeters are not designed to put out bass. Do I need another amp to run the tweets and Mids?

You should have a head unit that is capable of not sending that signal to the higher frequency speakers.

Or as datant69 said and put bass blockers in, its like a coil, but it filters out the signal for the specified speaker range.. I guess if i researched it more i could give you the exact part number.

You dont have to have another amp just for that, you could have a head unit that does alot more than your current one does.

BW

You should have a head unit that is capable of not sending that signal to the higher frequency speakers.

Or as datant69 said and put bass blockers in, its like a coil, but it filters out the signal for the specified speaker range.. I guess if i researched it more i could give you the exact part number.

You dont have to have another amp just for that, you could have a head unit that does alot more than your current one does.

BW

I guess I should try and play around with it. Its a newer Alpine and it sounds 10x's better than my old alpine. I wonder if I still have the manual somewhere :confused:.

But the fact still remains that I need new speakers. Should I go with the Polk setup in the back with the crossover and tweets and the 4x6 Kappas in the front??? Thanks guys, at least you will prevent me from smoking another pair of speakers :biggrin:

drift

you can get into a 4 channel amp for anywhere @ 100 and most newer amps come with a crossover built in. this will help you keep them seperate, no distortion and you can set it. unplug your sub amp and listen to your speakers at the present volume you normally listen to it, do this with the blown speaker you have ( you do have one right) and see where the distortion is coming from. you'll hear your speaker bottoming out, it'll sound grainy or static, may even pop. this is very bad for any speaker regardless of size. if your not into putting another amp in the mix spend the extra 10 and buy bass blockers. this just lets you crank your radio up without worrying about killing your speakers. you should always listen to your speakers, that's where alot of guys with little experiance go wrong. you need to hear your setup at the levels you normally crank it up to. do this without the subs so you can really hear every speaker. you'll notice what's going on and be able to adjust by using your fade to rear so take some of the power off your mids.

BUY BASS BLOCKERS, the way to install these is to strip a 3 inch piece of speaker wire off and use it as a sleeve. the bass blocker will look like a small coke can on a single wire but the wire is thick enough to go into the piece of wire shield you just striped. you'll need 2 of these and you can add it directly under your speaker. it's outta the way and won't go anywhere. slide the sleeve into the wire of the bass blocker and take your positive on the speaker that your trying to install and and put it inbetween where the positive wire connects to the speaker. the only thing going to your positive should be the other side of the bass blocker single wire and you can use a crimp end for speaker that would fit snug. make sure you have no bare wire just in case. wouldn't want you to blow your channel out or the amp. if you decide to go out and run another amp you will never go back. i'd guess running another amp installed if you do the work and a crossover depending on what brand you go with or amp with internal crossover just ask the saleperson helping you if the amp is has a crossover on it and can it be set for mids and tweets. if you look at the side of the amp you'll see settings you can switch that say HP ( high pass ) or LP ( low pass ) or something like that. hope this helps and i'm not turning you around alot. just trying to put the info on here for you.

Your good Ant. My front right speaker is definatly shot. When I have time to play with it i'll disconnect the sub and go from there. Depending on my mood I sometimes crank the phuck out of the speakers :rolleyes:

thanks drift

Your good Ant. My front right speaker is definatly shot. When I have time to play with it i'll disconnect the sub and go from there. Depending on my mood I sometimes crank the phuck out of the speakers :rolleyes:

trust me it was a love and hate relationship along the way. i've been through alot with what i've had, burned stuff up, blown stuff up, fried stuff, and well you get the pic, but that was back in the mid 80's.

now that you understand it alittle better you'll be buying less speakers and more car audio stuff. if your the kind of guy like me who wants to hear my music and other to sometimes then i know how you do it. only differance is i know the limits and you didn't until now. if you install a system like i explained it you'll be able to crank it up without worrying. if your max is 30 on your stereo then keep it around 22-25 on the sound level on your headunit. just listen to your speakers and you'll do yourself a world of good. if you ever go with another amp and crossover you'll never go back. i could walk you through it and you'd do well trust me if you can work on that car you can install.

Back