Need fast computer help......

QuickWE4

Fuggedaboudit.
Ok, so last night, I was screwing around on some broadband website where they have all these tests and tweaks you can run on your computer to improve your download/upload speed via a cable modem (see the thread in the Loung section of this board).
I modified something called an RWIN setting in the process and really improved the download speeds.

Anyway, I was clipping right along, having a good old time, when I decided to do this port scan thing which is basically some kind of security test. So, I started running the scan, but I stopped it midway through (plus, I run a zonelabs firewall so most of the ports were not pingable anyway).

Here's the problem:

1. Right after I stopped the test, my computer hung and I reset. When it rebooted, I no longer had use if Internet Explorer. It would look for web pages, but not find them and report back with the usual page that says "Cannot find the page you are looking for". So, I checked my internet options and everything seemed to be set correctly. Still no luck - no web pages come up, and Cablevision says that they are not getting signal from my modem.

I have a motorola surfboard modem - power light is solid, but the recieve light is blinking and no other lights are on. I still have my cable TV signal.

Can somebody help me determine if I have a setting that's screwed up or something? Is it something related to that port scan I did last night? Cablevision wants to dispatch a tech to check it out, but I have a hard time believing that it's a modem issue since this coincided exactly with me doing all that crap on that website.
HELP! DIALUP SUCKS!
Rich

I would try Unplugging the power for the modem for a few minutes,Then Try Plugging it back in,And see what happens..

What about system restore,Can you go back a day or so???

Whenever you decide to start playing with that stuff,Or anything setting wise on the computer,Always Set a Restore point First...That way you could always restore your settings back again In case something happens..

Good Luck, Shawn.

Make sure Zonealarm hasn't shut things down on you. If it suspects suspicious activity it will shut you down. Disable Zonalarm and see if you still have a problem. If you can get to the 'net with Zonealarm diabled you need to remind it that it's okay for Explorer to access the Internet.

You can try running the Internet connection wizard again, too. If you're on an XP machine make sure the pre-packaged firewall isn't running. It will mess things up if you try to run it in conjunction with Zonealarm.

Jim