You can type here any text you want

Need Help 87 T running problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BuickTim

This is my 7th turbo car.Seemed to be fine.With an occasional dying on decel after a full throttle blast.So I thought I would just check all settings and tune it.I threw my fuel pressure gauge on it and found the pressure at 20 psi with vacuum line off.So i turned it up to 42.5 psi,and it ran terrible.I checked tps setting,o2 sensor values,blm,I did find egr vacuum line off to egr.Never ran into a problem like this before.Any help? If you need any other info I can get it.Any help would be appreciated.

what chip and injectors are you running? and when you said terrible running what is it doing? my guess is its probably really rich now.

yes rich

yes its running very rich,eye burning exhaust.it has blue tops with an old modern muscle chip.Yes it would seem to make sense if possible mis matched chipand injectors.I have a ta 49turbo.Would you recommend these injectors?if so I think I will order a Turbo Tweak chip for this setup.I just never ran into this before.I set everything except the cam sensor,per 87 Buick shopmanual.Thanks for your input.

i can't comment on your injectors as i run 60's and like them alot. i'm sure someone else will chime in on them. tt chip is a great move you'll be happy with that, plus it's ajustable. you can email eric @ turbotweak with your combo and see what his opion is when order your chip.
hth, tim

This is my 7th turbo car.Seemed to be fine.With an occasional dying on decel after a full throttle blast.So I thought I would just check all settings and tune it.I threw my fuel pressure gauge on it and found the pressure at 20 psi with vacuum line off.So i turned it up to 42.5 psi,and it ran terrible.I checked tps setting,o2 sensor values,blm,I did find egr vacuum line off to egr.Never ran into a problem like this before.Any help? If you need any other info I can get it.Any help would be appreciated.

Car ran fine till you increased the fuel pressure? Maybe you should verify this with another gauge before you go any further .

Car ran fine till you increased the fuel pressure? Maybe you should verify this with another gauge before you go any further .

That's what I was thinking too. If it really was 20psi I don't think it would have run well.

Fuel press

I hooked up a Kenne Bell hood mounted and thats what first brought it to my attn. I figured the gauge was wrong,so I hooked up my Snap-On gauge and same thing.I cant come up with a logical reason,other than chip injector combo.Any thoughts?

I hooked up a Kenne Bell hood mounted and thats what first brought it to my attn. I figured the gauge was wrong,so I hooked up my Snap-On gauge and same thing.I cant come up with a logical reason,other than chip injector combo.Any thoughts?
If you can get it to run decent again by dropping f/press. yes that could be a miss matched combo. Did you change either recently? back track to where it once ran good before whatever it was that created this problem, change doesn't always work unless of course your a democrat.

run problem

Well I just picked this one up,decided to do some tuning and throw my hood mount fuel press gauge on and thats when I first noticed it.So i guess I should get a matched inj. chip combo and go from there.I guess i could pull it from another one of my cars just to check it out.

Make sure your fuel pump is working well. If not your car will starve for fuel. I ran into the same problem. I switched out the fuel pump with a walbro 340 and problem solved. Give a listen to your fuel pump it will make a crazy loud sound if its working to hard. let me know if that helps bro

"GOOD LUCK"

Make sure your fuel pump is working well. If not your car will starve for fuel. I ran into the same problem. I switched out the fuel pump with a walbro 340 and problem solved. Give a listen to your fuel pump it will make a crazy loud sound if its working to hard. let me know if that helps bro

"GOOD LUCK"
Good point , don't also forget the f/filter if pump is noisy if could be working overtime trying to push fuel through a restricted filter & cause it to be noisier & shortens it life.

Back