You can type here any text you want

need help on first engine build

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

udlose99ta

1st turbo buick
Ok this is all still pretty new to me, just came from ls1 land but here goes...
Cracked a piston and gonna do my first turbo build on my 87 gn. My goal is low low 11's. I already have a 60mm turbo (dunno what model) fmic, 60lbs injectors, adj fpr, tt alky chip, 3000 stall, 3" dp with cutout, alky kit. What do I need to add during my rebuild for my goal? Also I have leaks in my stock exh manifolds and was wanting headers but don't wanna loose power like I have heard can happen. Thanks

Head work, and port intake. Some work on the headers would be a plus too. Dont forget your chassis. All the HP in the world wont do you any good if you cant stick it.

Thanks
Coach

Thanks, I usually do suspension first but I wanna drive this thing! What set of headers should I get? Cam? Also would forged pistons on a stock bottom end be ok with arp bolts and a girtle?

Thanks, I usually do suspension first but I wanna drive this thing! What set of headers should I get? Cam? Also would forged pistons on a stock bottom end be ok with arp bolts and a girtle?

Keep the stock headers and get them welded. Lots of people like a cam around 206/206. I would go with a roller cam. It wouldnt hurt to replace the pistons as some have said they are the weak point when you push the envolope. A good tune goes along way ;) . Better get the credit card fired up.

Thanks, I usually do suspension first but I wanna drive this thing! What set of headers should I get? Cam? Also would forged pistons on a stock bottom end be ok with arp bolts and a girdle?

Forged pistons on a stock bottom end is fine. Don't put a girdle on a street driven motor - you'll have the oil leaks. If you want extra strength go with two billet steel or aluminum main caps...as with a girdle, this will require some additional machine work to the block.

Any stock replacement headers from the aftermarket (even stock style) will be better than 20+ year old stockers.

A trouble free cam is a roller. Go with anything bigger than stock and you will have plenty of cam to run 11s with the previously mentioned head work. Of course it is more money up front, but you will not wear out a roller.

How can I tell what turbo I have? Its a garrett housing and says a/r 60 m24 and inside the turbo where it goes into the intercooler says 60. The hot side is .63 and says precision. I'm sure that's not enough info so what do I need? Need 2 know if my turbo is good enough

Back