You can type here any text you want

need help with a motor combination.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo johnny5

I'm a new be to the turbo buick world. But i found a 86 type for 2k in a barn. And now it needs to fly in the 9s. I've been reading a lot about 4.1 . Or 3.8. Please give ur opinions.

Fuel system, several thousand in trans work/converter, heads, cam, Intercooler, turbo, crank, rods, pistons, damper, flex plate, several thousand in machine work, exhaust, a couple thousand in suspension, wheels, tires, driveshaft, wastegate/controller, fuel, someone to tune the car, practice, and a whole bunch of other small stuff that will add up to a few thousand more. If you want to run week after week start with a 4.1 stage 2 block. Plan on spending $15-20k on the engine complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuel system, several thousand in trans work/converter, heads, cam, Intercooler, turbo, crank, rods, pistons, damper, flex plate, several thousand in machine work, exhaust, a couple thousand in suspension, wheels, tires, driveshaft, wastegate/controller, fuel, someone to tune the car, practice, and a whole bunch of other small stuff that will add up to a few thousand more. If you want to run week after week start with a 4.1 stage 2 block. Plan on spending $15-20k on the engine complete.

Like bison said your goals=$$$$$ and if you really did get a T/R for 2k It probly is gonna need a bunch of other stuff on top of the drive train build To make the car right. Does it run and drive now? Do the brakes work? What is missing from the car?......... Basically you can build the car to achieve your goal, or you can get a college degree from a decent community college.

I have a 8.70 small tire car sbc. I just want to no if the 3.8 or 4.1 is better..

Like bison said your goals=$$$$$ and if you really did get a T/R for 2k It probly is gonna need a bunch of other stuff on top of the drive train build To make the car right. Does it run and drive now? Do the brakes work? What is missing from the car?......... Basically you can build the car to achieve your goal, or you can get a college degree from a decent community college.
The car has 81,234 miles on it. I just parked it. Runs good. It was on crigeslist list as a 87 type. We all no they were made in 86. I'm very lucky to find the car.. thanks

Simple answer? For everyday 9's?

If I had to use a stock block.........I would use a 3.8.

I would prefer to use a stage block......... And any one will do for 9's.

If I wanted to continue to build on the combination to go even faster........Say, deep 8's or even 7's.......Then I would only use an On-Center Stage-2 4.1. Or a TA Aluminum Block.

Really, any one can be built for 9's. Good luck.

If you're not really interested in the tb and just want to build it because you got it cheap then clean it up really nice, fix small issues then sell it for a profit. Buy something you want, not something that was a good buy. To take that car and totally modify it for 9's will take a lot of time and money most people don't have.

I have a 8.70 small tire car sbc. I just want to no if the 3.8 or 4.1 is better..

To answer your question a production 4.1 block is by far the better choice over a 3.8 for 650-700 RWHP with reliable, consistent high 9's.

I continue to prove this by my personal and customer cars as the 4.1 will develop the above HP levels at way lower boost than a 3.8.

Having built MANY 3.8's and 4.1's for myself and customers, it is a crap shoot how long the block will last in the 9's as they both have the same inherent weaknesses. My best time last night was a 9.8 and this production 4.1 block has "survived" a lot more 9 sec. passes in competition.

If you want to build a stock T-R to run into the 9's expect to spend well over $20k, if you want piece-of-mind and reliability, spend the extra $3K on a Stage block or an alum block.

I do not know what you mean by a "8.70 small tire sbc", but you should know going fast in the 9 sec. and better range is VERY expensive.

Back