You can type here any text you want

Need help with DelcoCD player.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ALBERTAN

Resident Window Licker
I managed to score a factory-original CD player from a Typhoon to replace the DIN Kenwood unit that came in my Turbo T. It looks terrific in place, although the picture doesn't really do it justice.

Anyways, my problem is connecting it to the current wiring. I'm not familiar with what everything should look like back there. But there are some Metra adapter plugs in place, and currently nothing plugs into the back of this CD player. I am hoping that I can just purchase the proper GM adapter and connect it all fairly easily without splicing wires. Any advice and/or part numbers for the correct harness would be much appreciated. Below are pictures of whats currently wired as disconnected from the Kenwood unit. Thanks again.

Wiring 1

Wiring 2

Wiring 3

Wiring 4

On the typhoon the radio hardness should be the same for the buick...

Take a pic of the back of the typhoon radio

Oh yeah I meant to do that then forgot. I'll take it tonight. Thanks.

GM makes an adapter to go from the GN harness to the Typhoon harness. I had my '92 'Phoon radio in my GN for a while. I got it from GM - the guy at the parts counter knew exactly what I wanted. I thought I posted the P/N here a while back. Anyhow, Jay's GN sells them for $16.

Jim

OK it's late and I haven't taken that picture of the back of the head unit yet. So if it's direct plug and play, I should be able to go into the GM dealer and just order the correct harness for a Buick then corrent? Bah why do people have to cut $hit up all the time. :confused:

Dean H

Your cars are awesome (was eyeballing your sig)!!!!!! Please don't sell them! :D :D

By the by, where do you get a stock/factory AC Delco unit?

Thanks for the compliment. :)

I got this unit from a friend at syty.net. I'm not sure what other vehicles this unit came in, but I am going to start looking into it. I'd love to pick another up for my GN. It was factory ordered with *gasp* an AM radio.

Originally posted by whitess
Once you get the right adapters go to http://www.installdoctor.com and look under "quick radio wiring info" for the GM wiring (Adobe format). There will be a diagram for both radios there on the same page. :)
Larry.

Hmmmm...looking at this, I still have the blue, white and black connectors from the Up To 1989-1990 schematic in the car. I think those are the original Buick connectors. The back of the deck as I recall looks like the schematic for the 1989-1990 And Newer connectors. So I guess everything is there and I do indeed need some sort of adapter as Jim mentioned. Jim buddy you wouldn't happen to have that part number would you? I started trying to find the post using various searches but couldn't seem to find it. I don't think the dealership is going to be able to find it for me unless I can give them an actual part number. Thanks again guys.

Originally posted by ALBERTAN
Jim buddy you wouldn't happen to have that part number would you? I started trying to find the post using various searches but couldn't seem to find it. I don't think the dealership is going to be able to find it for me unless I can give them an actual part number. Thanks again guys.

I looked around the board too and I couldn't find it. I might even have the damn thing stashed in some box or drawer. When I sold the 'Phoon I put the stock radio back in it. I missed the CD player so I put a Blaupunkt head in the GN. That adapter has got to be around here somewhere. I'll look around for it today.

You can get it from Jay's GN, though. Go to his Radios page at www.jaysgn.com

It does look like your stock wiring is there - just unplug the Metra rats nest from it.

Jim

OK I managed to track down the adapter harness by faxing the page at installdoctor.com to the Delco repair depot for Western Canada. For future reference the part number is #16140051. Also for reference, it carries a retail price of $84 CDN. So if Jay's sells them for $16 USD, that would be a much better alternative for most board members.

Now to pull the unit yet again to send it out to get the CD player to actually work. The saga continues...

Re: Dean H

Originally posted by nero
By the by, where do you get a stock/factory AC Delco unit?

I was talking to the Delco repair facility about getting the CD player working on my head unit. They mentioned that they had three or four of these units sitting on the shelf for sale. They come with a 30 day warranty and are gone over by a service tech before they ship, so you know you have the best chance of avoiding a dud. If anyone wants one they'd run about $220 USD. I have a PayPal account, but please don't send any money yet...I'm just gauging interest. Shipping would be additional but is very reasonable even from up here in Canada. You will need an adapter harness which cost me about $40 USD but apparently is available from Jay's for $16. I could arrange for one of them to be sent with the unit so that it's truly plug and play, or you could source one yourself for *hopefully* less money.

I'm not making money on this. Just covering my costs and trying to hook up those interested with a nice looking factory CD player. Apparently they normally go for $300+ USD when they show up on eBay.

Back