You can type here any text you want

Need help with GN powermaster

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jen's 87

Just got my 87 GN out of storage after over 1-1/2 yrs, took it for a nice drive and now the red "brake" light on the dash keeps coming on and I hear strange noises that seem to be coming from the dash area. The light comes on when I'm driving on the freeway and even when I just start the car. Does anyone know what is causing the light to come on? Is my powermaster going bad? Thanks for your help on this one.

Don't drive it anymore until you get it sorted. It sounds to me like your accumulator is leaking pressure causing the PM motor to run a bunch trying to keep it charged. Your brake warning light will come on when the system doesn't have enough pressure to safely stop the vehicle. You didn't mention how the pedal feels, but I am guessing it is far from normal. Also, do the strange noises sound like an electric motor running or is it clicking?

Hi 1quick6, thanks for being the only person nice enough to reply to my post and helping me with my problem. Funny thing is that the next day, my brakes were just fine and to this day, the brake light does not come on anymore and the funny noises have disappeared and the brakes feel just fine. I'm thinking that maybe it was acting up because the car sat for over a year and just needed to be used again. And just to be safe in the future, I am thinking of converting the powermaster to vacuum brakes. Thanks again for all your help, appreciate it.
Aloha from DVUS in Honolulu, HI

Some issue you might want to address before it takes a dump on you. Get a turkey baster from the dollar store and drain all the brake fluid out. The power master needs clean brake fluid to run. Should be changed once every other year. Press on the brake pedal when the car is off it will depressurize your system and you will see the right chamber in the resevoir rise with fluid. Note where the fluid is you will need to add new fluid to this level. Once the system pressurizes there should only be about an inch of brake fluid in that right chamber. The chambers on the left side the front goes to the rear brakes and the back chamber is your front brakes. Keep the fluid clean it will last longer.

Back