You can type here any text you want

need help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jerritt

ok so i dont know to much about the car yet but i bought an 87 GN and when i bought it i though it was cool as ****. lol but after looking at it and reading about it im finding a lot wrong with it. the turbo does not spool at all like it should. so my question is do turbos just get tired after a while because i dont want to put a brand new turbo in it if there is something more wrong with it to protect my new turbo. any ideas or answers would help.
thanks

Is it a stock turbo? Are there any exhaust leaks? How many miles? What kind of mods if any?

its the same size as the stock but no its not the original one. there are no mods on the car except a MAF air sensor. there are 105,000 miles on it and im not sure how many are on the turbo on it now. and no exhaust leaks to my knowledge. i have replaced all vac lines

i have replaced all vac lines

FYI - the vac hose on the turbo is a very specific assy. If you replaced it with regular hose and a regular "t", it would cause problems. Also, very important if you have no boost, that hose assy. on the turbo goes to a solenoid (boost controller) on the passenger valve cover with two hose connectors. The second one should have a small filter on it (or at least open). It should Not be plugged. That is a common mistake people who are new to GN's make. Plugging the second opening prevents the controller from making boost. Have Fun :biggrin:

ok so i dont know to much about the car yet but i bought an 87 GN and when i bought it i though it was cool as ****. lol but after looking at it and reading about it im finding a lot wrong with it. the turbo does not spool at all like it should. so my question is do turbos just get tired after a while because i dont want to put a brand new turbo in it if there is something more wrong with it to protect my new turbo. any ideas or answers would help.
thanks
No, your turbo won't get tired. If it starts to go bad you will know it. Smoking or play in the wheel will tell you it is on its way out. I don't think that is your problem.

Do you have any Scanmaster or other data?

Post your location. Maybe a local member can help you diagnose the problem.

Buy yourself a VDO boost gauge. That will tell you if you are getting boost and how much. Very easy to install. Typical location is on the "A" pillar in a single gauge holder. Then many people also install a water temp gauge and an oil pressure gauge in a two gauge holder on the center console in front of the gear shifter (toward the firewall). The Buick vendors carry the gauge holders. The factory dash gauges for rpm's and boost usually go south and are unreliable. Here are instructions on how to install a boost gauge. Welcome to the wonderful world of GN's.

Boost Gauge Installation

Back