You can type here any text you want

Need info on code 51 and resolution.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tim Cucci

My car set a code 51 today while shutting off at 65 mph. I stopped and cranked it back up and the engine light flickered on and off as I was keeping the idle up and car running rough. I shut it down and disconnect orange wire and changed chip. Car ran OK going home. This has happened twice now in the past three months. Last time the car ran extremely rich as I limped home. I changed the chip and the car was fine until today. I have not had either chip diagnosed yet. Is this a problem in the ECM or a chip problem or an ecm causing the chips to fail. The car also popped at 65 mph and my car has never done any popping before.

Thanks for any help resolving this problem.
Tim

I just did a search and found much info on my problem so I have several items to look at and try before doing any thing drastic. Seems like cleaning the ECM connections is where I will start.
Thanks

Had a very similiar situation and it just seemed to be that the connections were bad or the chip was not seated completly..

Shouldn't be a big deal...
Goodluck..
:D

Originally posted by Tim Cucci
I just did a search and found much info on my problem so I have several items to look at and try before doing any thing drastic. Seems like cleaning the ECM connections is where I will start.
Thanks

I know this is an old thread, but what do you use to clean the connections?

Originally posted by GNXDad
I know this is an old thread, but what do you use to clean the connections?

Unless there is salt water type stains, or brown rust deposits, just plug, and unplug them a few times, to burnich the contacts.

If you just have too, some electrical contact cleaner may work. The problem is that anything that gets them wet, will bleed thur the pins in the connector onto the printed circuit board. If the moisture desolves anything conductive into that area, you're dead in the water.

If the ecm looks to have any salt stains on them, be sure the windshield isn't leaking, and letting water drip down the harness, into the connector cavity.

Back