You can type here any text you want

need nelp, Car won't start?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V6-Sauce

Today I replaced my fuel filter, I made sure that the pointing arrow(flow)on the filter was pointing towards the engine(front of the car). Even though my old fuel filter when I removed it the arrow was pointing towards the gas tank(rear of the car). So ok installed new filter with arrow pointing to the front of the car, I was ready for priming. I turned key on (engine off)for about 5 seconds then key off. I repeated this about 3-4 times then tryed to start the engine it bearly started for a couple of seconds then quit. Now it doesn't start, when I retryed. Engine cranks just doesn't turn over to start.It started a few times with the old filter yesderday and the day before with the old fuel filter on and with arrow on filter (direction of flow)pointing towards the rear(gas tank/fuel pump) of the car, any idea's what to do? You think I have the filter on backwards. I don't get it.

Last edited:
Its not the filter. something else is going on. Can you hear the fuel pump when you first turn the key to on? Check /confirm fuel pressure at the rail with a gauge.

I'm not sure if I heard the pump, I agree also...To make a note, I just took the car out of storage a couple of days ago...Before storage I fill with fresh 94 octane and used fuel stableizer and removed battery. Couple of days ago, I wanted to start her start and take it around the block to get the juices flowing again. I noticed heavy hesitation at light throttle around the block to the point when u press the gas the car doesn't move anymore until u wait alittle and just bogg's/with foot down after awhile it went pretty good at WOT. Somethings wrong on accelleration. It's what made me think it was the fuel filter maybe was clogged, I also just ordered a new o2 sensor. At first starting after storage idling was hard and shakey to the point were it almost wants to stall. But was more normal after it warmed up. Before fuel filter I removed the stock half clogged cat with a test pipe. My iac & tps is within range(iac bounces from 6 to 15 to 25 to 27 and tps is .42 when warm)it's pretty close to range, I don't think that's the problem. I have a walbro 340, installed about maybe 4 years agoo, maybe my fuel pump crapped out. The injectors the same about 4 years ago. As of last summer I have a TT chip. fuel pressure was tested last year. Fuel prssure raising with boost was alittle low/fuel is set at 43psi line off. I can't give u scanmaster readings right now because I can't start the car as of today. I maintain it pretty good, last year I put new ac-delco 43 spark plugs and nos4gn wires and new coil pack/ transmission was rebuild 2 years ago/rearmain seal/turbo's was rebuild/alternator is new/starter is new/throttle bodys clean etc. very taken care of car. Didn't notice this problem til took it out of storage a couple of days ago. I know I have a cracked header because of a small ticking noise or sound coming from the driver side and I have to weld them up this year for sure. Still drove pretty good though. I'm going to check & see if the fuel pump fuse is blown tommorrow and try re-priming the fuel filter again. srry for the long reply. Look below for my upgrades its pretty milded mostly stock.

Last edited:
I dont know. I remember last year when we checked 1:1 fuel raising with boost. the recording from scanmaster2.1 the maf was alittle low at like i think at 240ish it wasn't maxing out at 255 at wot at the time. I have a stock maf sensor.But that was with my old chip with these readings, I upgraded to TT chip with # matching injectors after these readings late last year. I havent test maf at Wot this year, and don't know other ways to check. The snow just melted here.

Last edited:
It could, but so could a host of other things. I've had my GN for 20+ years now and have had experience with the GN gremlins. Start with the basics and check that you are getting fuel, spark and air to the combustion chambers and go from there. Also you might try to see if the computer has /stored any codes. I use a simple code reader but there are several other ways to prompt the engine management computer for problems. It can really help narrow down electrical gremlins and take the guess work out of it. I would advise taking a close look around the engine for either critter damage or deterioration of rubber parts. they have been known to chew injector harnesses. Also fuel can be a real headache with the ethanol they put in it cause it absorbs water and causes all kinds of problems with gumming injectors and fuel pumps. I never have let my GN sit more than a month or two without running it to keep the fuel in the limes semi fresh. good luck

I really think it's a fuel delivery problem, But I don't know for sure, I'm not a mechanic and I don't have code readers and the knowledge to use or have special tester's to diagnosis the problem. All I have is the scanmaster2.1 and I can't even start the car, to read any #'s. Mine's been sitting all winter(3 months)The time when I started it before the gas filter change. I looked at the scan master, everythings pretty good, o2's where alittle low than normal/00 MAL codes...I checked all the wires on the harness today everythings locked in place. I talked to a mechanic near by, I told him what the car was doing while driving, pressing the gas that the car sputters heavy at light acceleration, and feels almost like it wants to stall and now it won't start after the new filter change. I checked fuel pump fuse today it's good same with the hotwire kit fuse at alternator/replaced 02 sensor with stock ac delco afs-21. He said if I tryed a new filter and it sounds like it could be the fuel pump. I just ordered a new fuel pump from Turbotweak. I'm just gonna go ahead and replace the pump. And hopefully it fixs the problem, I'II see what the mechanic says. These things like MAF sensor? /coil was just replaced last summer /moldule?/injectors? are expensive things in the 200 + dollar range when I don't even know which one it is and how to test. If the car doesnt start now after I just replaced the fuel filter but started before the filter change it kinda makes sense to me it's possibly the fuel pump failed or lost its juice and is not pushing fuel to the engine to start otherwise it should have least started. my guess anyways. I could try tommorrow and hook up the kirban fuel pressure gauge at fuel rail port and turn ignition on and see if I'm getting pressure at the gauge.

Last edited:
It could, but so could a host of other things. I've had my GN for 20+ years now and have had experience with the GN gremlins. Start with the basics and check that you are getting fuel, spark and air to the combustion chambers and go from there. Also you might try to see if the computer has /stored any codes. I use a simple code reader but there are several other ways to prompt the engine management computer for problems. It can really help narrow down electrical gremlins and take the guess work out of it. I would advise taking a close look around the engine for either critter damage or deterioration of rubber parts. they have been known to chew injector harnesses. Also fuel can be a real headache with the ethanol they put in it cause it absorbs water and causes all kinds of problems with gumming injectors and fuel pumps. I never have let my GN sit more than a month or two without running it to keep the fuel in the limes semi fresh. good luck

thx for trying to help. I'm going to try to confirm fuel pressure at the rail tommorrow. What are some of the ways to prompt EMC for problems, besides scantool. I'm pretty much going straight to the mechanic with the new fuel pump and hopfully it's not my injectors. What kind of simple reader's are u talking about to use and where do u hook it up?

Last edited:
There is a wire by the alt that u can touch to the 12vdc on the back of the alt and here is the pump is runing . Also the rubber line that connects the pump to the sending unit that has been known to come loose . Ask me how I know lol

ok I'II check. Question if anyone can answer gngsnut mentioned the MAF sensor/ Make me think. HOW DO I TEST THE MAF SENSOR USING A DIGITAL MUTIMETER?I heard it can be done. Besides maybe the problem being bad fuel pump or clogged injectors that I can't fix. The maf sensor is similar problem maker when it comes to bad idle/stalling/engine hesitation/starting problems etc..

Do you still have the old fuel filter? Maybe there is a problem with the new filter, it wouldn't be the first time a new part was bad right out of the box.

It will only take you a few minutes,either reinstall the old filter if you still have it or buy another new one. This could save you a lot of troubleshooting and time if it's the problem.

With the key on engine off is the service engine soon light lit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuel filter in backwards? Should still start though . . .

To test if the MAF prevents startup, unplug it and start the car. lol

Quick old skool fuel test. Pour a soda bottle cap of fuel in the pcv hose towards the tb. Plug the hose and start. If it catches . . . Its a fuel issue.

As Bison said . . no light, no startie. lol
Good luck.

He had the problem before changing the filter. Test for fuel pressure before spending money and ordering parts. It takes only a minute. why spend$$ and hours on repairs you don't need?

service engine soon light with the ignition turned on-yes it's on/I'm going to try unpluging maf sensor and see if that's the problem, I'm not going to try the old school test. I'II just use the gauge/ and confirm if theirs fuel pressure at the regulator, tommorrow. thx for everybodys help.

Last edited:
MAF sensor doesn't come into play till after the engine is started.

Give it a little shot of starting fluid (after the maf) and see if it responds.

MAF sensor doesn't come into play till after the engine is started.

Give it a little shot of starting fluid (after the maf) and see if it responds.

no, I don't want to use liquid fire through the air filter. It's not a truck in the winter time....

Last edited:
So if the car was running what made you decide to change the fuel filter?

It started a few times with the old filter yesderday and the day before with the old fuel filter on and with arrow on filter (direction of flow)pointing towards the rear(gas tank/fuel pump) of the car, any idea's what to do? You think I have the filter on backwards. I don't get it.

Back