You can type here any text you want

Need Rear Axle Bushing Help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

el ess1

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to do a STOCK restoration on an 8.5 rear end for an 80s Olds 442, I have all new GM rear upper and lower control arms and the bushings are already installed in them. However, I'm running into a wall trying to find the correct rear axle bushings, the ones that press into the ears on top of the rear axle. The GM part number calls for 22526178 for Buick/Olds 8.5, and 10000068 for the 7.5" rears.

I saw that HRpartsnstuff has a cool tool for this, which I figure I'll get, and seems to sell greasable bushings as well (not sure of the sizes), but there's a difference (what it is I don't know) between 7.5 and 8.5 bushings according to the GM part numbers.

Anyone have experience in this area? I'd like to stay with stock bushings if possible, or black poly if that's all that's available. Again, strictly for restoration, not drag racing or cornering. I just don't know where to look and figured you guys might know.

TIA.

JEGS 60525 - JEGS Upper Control Arm Axle Housing Bushings - JEGS

Or you can get the HR bushings since you are orderingthe tool.
I just installed a HR bar and UMI ups and lowers and also they UMI rear axle bushings which are Energy Susp.

Log story short the HR tool is awesome, I highly recommend it just MAKE SURE it does not get crooked on the removal or the threaded rod will bend. Use a hand rachet even thought the website says a air rachet. Air tool goes to fast and I bent the rod due to it getting a lil bound up ...I called bitchin saying their website says ari rachet and they sent me another one though free.

I went with the UMI stuff due to cost.

Thanks a bunch. It appears they fit 7.5 and 8.5 rear ends. I'm sure these will fit the bill.

And thanks for the tips on the tool. I'll probably have the rear end out on the bench or the body will be off the car anyway, making it a bit easier to do.

save your money on the tool.. all you need to put in those bushings is a piece of pipe that is about 2" long and has an inside diameter a little bigger than the outside diameter of the side of the bushing that goes thru the housing, some big washers, and a long 7/16" bolt and matching nut.

True and good tip if its outta the car then its a TON easier.

Im just not a fan of using a BFH to remove and replace items.

Get the tool. I bought and then sold it after i was done. Do not use a BFH. You break ear off your done.

Just banged one in with a BFH today...was scared to death of loosing the ear.
I was so frazzled I did not even try removed the other one. I think I will try the pipe and bolt idea for the other.

Back