Need some help with my GN

clean ur pcv valves or breathers whatever you have. Pull off the intercooler and clean it as well as check turbo for shaft play.

Here is one of the plugs I pulled. They are AC Delco R42TS. Is this the correct heat range, or is it too cold of a plug? Also, does this plug look fouled to you?

photo-7.jpg
photo-8.jpg

mikes86ttop said:
I would deff. Check that cold air intake, it looks like its not on the inlet bell too good...Mike

That will make it run like crap if air is getting passed there. It basically has unmetered air getting in the motor.

Those look like the old tomco 30# injectors and the hypertech chips were popular in the late 80's and earyl 90's. There are definately better chips available today and the injectors could be reused if there ok and you dont want to spend $$ on them right now. The plugs show rich fuel condition and I recommend going to a r43ts one range hotter than what you now have. The oil seepage is typical on cars that get driven, probly not much to worry about but you will want to pull the pipe and innercooler off to clean them out at some point and replace the rubber connecting hoses with new ones. The turbo looks to be stock but you dont know fore sure without looking at the wheels. Pull the black inlet hose off and take a pic of the comperessor wheel leaving the inlet bell adapter on and we will have a better Idea.

I took some pictures today! Hopefully you guys will be able to help me out. I didn't see the these injectors on the parts list in this thread, so I have no idea if it matches the chip or not. If you can't tell from the pictures, the injectors part number is D1720BA. Then on the other side of the injector is has the number 24.

My Hypertech chip number is #41372 and the serial number is #0018592. The box looks like its from the stone age haha. It also says stage 2 on there. Is this the correct chip for these injectors? Have you ever heard anything good about hypertech chips?

Hypertech 41372 ThermoMaster Power Chip
Price: $130.87

Product Features

• Must run premium fuel
  • Plug in and go, no wiring or soldering required
  • 50-state street legal
  • Use with 160 degree or 180 degree thermostat
  • Backed by the manufacturer with a factory direct limited lifetime warranty
Product Description

Hypertech Power Chips are direct replacements for the stock chips in 1981-1995 GM vehicles. The Power Chip contains the Hypertech Power Tuning data that controls the engine's air/fuel ratio and spark advance for maximum power and performance, plus potential gas mileage improvements. Power Chips can be easily installed, using only hand tools. ThermoMaster power chips are designed for daily street driving or competition in unmodified vehicles using a 160 degree or 180 degree thermostat.

Here is a picture of the coilpack, which appears to be stock. It's leaking out this blue stuff. Is that normal?View attachment 177586

Thats an indication of the ignition module getting hot and breaking down but after 25 years it's a wonder it still works at all. I would replace both the ignition module and coil pack,i would get a set of Autozone Bosch premium plug wires also there only $27.00 and work good and that would take care of your ignition. I've had good luck with the BWD brand for replacement parts and they have great warranties.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_02801_1020991_1925&pt=02801&ppt=C0334

These cars do run amazing but they do require maintenance and replacement parts when required. If you intend to keep the car for a long duration of time i would recommend getting parts with a good warranty so that you don't have to keep buying them over and over again. You can get just about every sensor / electrical components, mechanical parts also with a lifetime warranty for not much more than the cheaper replacement parts.

You should also install a hot wire from the back of the alternator to the fuel pump. If you are not familiar with it, just search for it on this website or look for it at Racetronix, Caspers, or Full Throttle websites. One more thing- these cars are notorious for leaning out at the track due to bad fuel pumps. The car runs fine in normal driving, but the pump doesn't keep up with fuel requirements at WOT...and POW...there goes a head gasket. So I would also get an electric fuel pressure gauge to install permanently (preferred) or at least a mechanical one that you can put under the wiper termporarily to monitor fuel pressure at WOT. Caspers used to sell them but if they don't then I think Summit does.

Thanks for all the help guys! So you're saying I actually don't have bigger injectors? They're just stock replacements? Was 32lb injectors stock?

Were you able to tell if the chip and injectors had the same flow rate?

Alright thanks. Well it looks like I have a lot of work to do. You all have been a huge help! I'm glad I found this awesome website.

Would you recommend replacing both the injectors and the chip? Or are my injectors pretty good? I'll probably go with something from the turbo tweak store, as I've heard a lot of positive feedback from them. Which combo would you recommend for my car?

Your injectors are probably fine but it wouldn't hurt to take them out and have them professionally cleaned. Ask Eric at Turbotweek what he thinks.

Alright thanks Rick. It's getting pretty late so I'll probably get off here for tonight. Now I just need to come up with a shopping list. Christmas time for the GN! Haha!

I had 42 lb injectors on my GN come to find out it had a stock chip in it. The thing ran so rich you would have thought it had dual dominator carbs on it lol. Your cheapest fix would be getting a new chip only 85 from Turbo Tweak

X2, Definitely get a scanmaster to start!Make it your top priority! Running car without a scantool is like running around with a grenade with the pin pulled! The info it will show you is a valuable asset in troubleshooting as someone else mentioned. Toss that chip for sure! That is way old school. Turbotweak is what you want. If you have plans on further modifying the car down the road, think ahead when contemplating an injector swap. The newer pintle style injectors are much better technology as well, and you can buy bigger that will work with an unmodded computer, but you can grow into down the road. It all really depends on your budget. I personally started with a scantool to know what was going on, and certainly don't like to change the same parts a million times. Spring cleaning as mentioned, is also a must. That coil pack wasn't looking to spiffy either. Definitely do yourself a big favor.....get a scantool. It will save you from changing parts you don't need, and read, read, read. There is aton of info on these sites. A lot of people have spent a lot of time and money doing the research and sharing their results. With thast said, your car will be running tip top in no time! Keep us posted with your results.
Tom