You can type here any text you want

Need Some Help...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

wcn8tive

New to the Buick world.. I just bought an 84 regal, cant really tell what kinda Regal it is.. this is what I do know, it is a RWD, 3.8L V6 Carb.... Interior.. shifter is in the floor, front bucket seats, T-type steering wheel..well here is the link to my page.. take a look some one tell me if they can ID it ... any help would be awsome.. thanks, Mike :confused: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1399744

It's you basic black Regal with some nice options. Good looking car. :)

..ok, well now that is established.. what are my options as far as getting some performance parts??? and where can I get them? Got the exhaust part figured out and suspension seems to be the same when it comes to cars so I think I got that covered.. engine and ecu upgrades are what I am looking for.. anybody????

..LMFAO.. wow I never realized how much different it was going from a 4 banger to these types of cars.. and the axle ratio...intake changeout...yup, can tell this may turn into another adicting habit..lol.. but its worth doing to have fun and keep me home.. any other tips are welcome and apreciated...

Ok so I found an intake :Offenhauser dual port 360 intake manifold for Buick 231 V6 ... now how do I go about selecting a good carb. for this intake? Really dont know what companies to look at for 4bbl carb.. any advice?

Is the Offenhuaser a square bore or spread bore?

I'd stick with the electronic Quadrajet, but then I prefer using an ECM. Anything other than an electronic Quadrajet and you need to disable the ECM and go to a different distributor.

That's a square bore without EGR. Won't work with a Quadrajet.

b4black said:
Reccomendations for best course of action from this point? Dont really know what type of 4bbl I could or should go with. Any recomendations on websites that would break these parts down in explenation for me?

b4black said:
Start with a 4 bbl carb and intake from a 1981-84 Buick 4.1 V6. They will work with your ECM.

http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/NAnotes.htm
http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/252V6.htm

The factory four barrel intake and carb from a 1981-84 4.1 Buick V6 will bolt on and work with your ECM. This is really the easiest way to more power. A junkyard should only charge about $75 for the whole set up.

Similar thread:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70199

b4black said:
The factory four barrel intake and carb from a 1981-84 4.1 Buick V6 will bolt on and work with your ECM. This is really the easiest way to more power. A junkyard should only charge about $75 for the whole set up.

Similar thread:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70199

Ok so I see what you are saying, found a guy that is willing to part with the 4bbl carb, now being that I dont know what should be coming off with the carb as far as things attached to the carb, if he does bring me only the carb with nothing attached, the components on my carb should work with it and operate correct?
Now as far as other things I can do.. advice on things such as port & polishing heads / exhaust ports? Everyone is telling me ditch the V6 and drop a 350 or at least a 300 series engine in my car... expense wise, which is the better route? I am looking to be able to drag race, just make to have some ass when I need it or feel the need to want it... any shops around Va Beach that would be able to help me.. any recommendations? Let me know, again thanks for any and all advice..trying to get more literate in this american car thing.... thanks guys

I'd hate to say this, (Rich don't shoot me)....if it's an N/A and you want to drag and you like things mechanically easy....drop in a V-8. Problem is that the Regal weights too much for the standard N/A version of the V-6, (that's why they made the GN with the turbo in it).

Other option is to find a carbed Buick turbo-kit which is easy to install on the N/A V-6, (e-bay is always putting out bids for 'em). If you choose to go the turbo route and find one to bolt-on read all Rich has on how to get down to the lower 14's.

Otherwise do the Chevy thing. :rolleyes:

I won't...I like mine just the way it is 100% Buick. That's what Regals should be! :cool:

If we are talking about an electronic Q-jet off a 4.1, it should have everything. If it doesn't, the 2-bbl stuff should work.

The Q-jet will need a spread bore intake. The factory 4.1 intake is pretty good.

V8's are OK. With a Chevy, you loose the Buick's identity. A Buick 350 or 455 would be cool. (I'm ok with replacing NA V6's. It makes no sense to pull turbo V6's out!)

Buick 350's and 455's aren't as easy to find anymore and I agree they're the coolest V8's for the Buick Regal. :D

In 1981, stock Buick Regal V8's were the 5.0, (a 307 Olds engine which may be an easy drop-in alternative). And the Pontiac 4.3.

I don't know much about either of these engines but they're both listed in my Buick service manual as stock V8's. The highest compression ratio for all is the 4.3 with an electrifying 8.2 ratio..LOL... :rolleyes: (My V6 is@9.5). ;)

Ok so I think I have somewhat of an understanding, now, what I need to know is if the intake I bought will work with the stock 4bbl carb from the 4.1..B4black, you saw it, let me know what you guys think, if anyone else wants to take a look check out my regal web page.... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1399744/5 Offenhauser 360 dual port...thanks guys, Mike

b4black said:

There's your answer. You need a spreadbore with the Q-jet. On a spreadbore, the secondaries are much bigger than the primaries. On your intake, all four holes are the same size. That's why I mentioned the factory 4.1 intake and carb. You should be able to get a 4.1 intake for ~$30 bucks from the junkyard. The 4.1 looks like a 3.8, but with a Quadrajet.

Or you can get an adapter. They make plenty of those. (spreadbore to squarebore, or vice versa). They are real cheap $20-30 at Summit or Jegs.

But you'll have to lose the air filter canister and replace it with an after market one like Edelbrocks also about $20.00. The adapter brings up the height to 1.50-2.00". Edelbrocks chrome air filter canister is about 2.00" and it fits perfectly on any Q-Jet. The oem air canister is about 4.00" height.

Back