Need some info on using a TV as a PC monitor

87LtdT

My 74 year old Mother has been a WebTV user for a few years. She likes her comfy chair and wireless setup, but was growing dissatisfied with some WebTV limitations...and began hinting she wanted her first PC.

So we got her a PC and set it up to use her TV as a monitor. She still sits in comfy chair with wireless mouse and keyboard.

All is fine, except the resolution of the TV is not very good.

Looking for advice on what type of TV we should get. Been told HDTV or a flat screen (in that order) would be fine.

If we buy an HDTV will we need a different card in the PC to send signal to HDTV?? Same question for flat screen.

Thanks, Bob

Just make sure the HDTV you get has an input for a VGA cable, and a cable goes straight from your regular video card in the PC to the HDTV 'monitor'. For a flatscreen, you'd need something like a video card with a composite tv out. You'd have a lot of the same problems with limited resolution though. The advantage of a plain flatscreen is it's MUCH cheaper than an HDTV. Pretty cool that a 74 year old stays 'hip' to new technology. I haven't met many of those.

The resolution on regular TV screens just isn't good enough. HDTV does offer better resolution but the price is pretty salty.(I think most of them are over 2 grand) I think the Sony 36" HDTV offers 1080 resolution for a componet connection and you could possibly connect to it with a ATI (http://www.atitech.com) Radeon 9700 pro video card. You better do some research to be sure.

It may be considerably cheaper to a flat panel monitor (small and thin) and put it somewhere she could see it.

Or you could always buy a larger Montitor and replace the TV with it and put a Radeon 9500 all in wonder in the PC and watch TV through the PC.

HTH

Sully

Thanks for the info guys...and the compliment...I'll tell her...she'll be happy :) But Mom lives 100 miles away. When I go down I need to be prepared to get it working...can't try this and that without lots of back and forthing.

Anybody got a "for sure" fix??

Thanks again,

Bob

Originally posted by V6 Beast

It may be considerably cheaper to a flat panel monitor (small and thin) and put it somewhere she could see it.

this would be one of your most viable options. put some kind of a little table next to her chair with the monitor on it so she can see it well. nice plasma screen HDTVs are disgustingly priced. a decent 30 some odd inch tv will set you back about $6-7k in some cases, maybe even more. televisions are not capable of the resolution necessary for a computer. a small flat panel monitor will still be a few hundred bucks, but it is compact and will fit anywhere, so moms can still chill out in the recliner.:cool:

Do you mean a regular flat panel PC monitor....or things that look like TV's to me that are called flat panel TV/Monitors??

Gotta keep Mom cool in the recliner :)

Thx, Bob

Flat panel PC monitor... 15" is about an inch thick and weighs like 3-4 lbs. Much easier on the eyes than a regular monitor as well.

Sully

TV + COMPUTER = CONVERGENCE

Several excellent articles on "CONVERGENCE" are available on this topic are in the archives at:

www.techtv.com

Specifically, check out the Screensavers & the Call For Help archives. Search using various key words.

If you have a Gateway Country Store in your area, check out their flat-panel displays for hands-on advice. Also, the tech staff at BEST BUY is usually quite good---plus not on commission.

Panasonic currently has a 42" & 45" TV that is computer ready, and HDTV capable, for approx. 2900.00. This TV, & an ATI 9800 Vidcard in a decent PC would be terrific.

Way back in June of 1997, I purchased a Gateway Destination TV/Computer/Home Entertainment System, 400 P2, 20gb HD, 128 ram/36" monitor with Line Doubling/Harmon Kardon Surround Sound. Awesome in every respect. Cost: 4800.00 6 years ago.

www.techtv.com

HTH :) :)

never go gateway. i have a gateway, and its the biggest mistake i made. just get a 15" flat panel monitor, maybe a sony. the big tv is always nice, but if she has a decent tv already, theres no need to drop $3k after buying a pc. the flat panel should run you well under $1k and if it's next to the chair, it should work fine, and momadukes could still watch the soaps on the tube while she's surfing the web.