Need Spark Plug Wires-What Kind & Where?

BRAD_PADGETT

I ohm tested my coil pak which failed and replaced it. The ohm test on my spark plug wires was a failure as well. All wires should have tested within ten percent of each other. My wires were all over the place which means they have to go. What kind of wires should I get? Do the 87 kits fit the hot air? I am running a GM coil pak and coil module. Thanks- Brad

brad, i have been wondering the same thing. i havent had to replace mine yet as i bought that last set kirban had 2 years ago or so. i wanted to see if russ merritt would make me a set but i never got around to sending him a set so he can make them for me. i would think that would be the way to go. however you know as well as i do the stock length wires suck. now if we could make them the perfect length and then send russ the wires and hav him make them that would be the way to go. if he does start to make them i will buy a couple sets right from the get go since i know his 87 wires are the best on the market IMOP. anyways i will stop rambling now

All wires should have tested within ten percent of each other. My wires were all over the place which means they have to go. What kind of wires should I get? Do the 87 kits fit the hot air? I am running a GM coil pak and coil module. Thanks- Brad

That's only partially correct. Since the wires are different in length the resistance is also determined by that. So asan example if you have 3 that are pretty close to the same length and the resistance is not within a certain margin of each other the odd ball would fail.

But as far as wires are concerned I have had good success with Taylor 10mm wires, Accell 8.8's plus it looks bad a** to open the hood and see some fat a** wires on the engine. Hell just about any quality brand wires will due it's the heat that kills them from that factory up and downpipes. That's why I rap the hell out of them on the passenger side.

alot of the wires out there are in stupid red or blue. i need black or grey only

As wires are concerned I have had good success with Taylor 10mm wires, Accell 8.8's plus it looks bad a** to open the hood and see some fat a** wires on the engine. Hell just about any quality brand wires will due it's the heat that kills them from that factory up and downpipes. That's why I rap the hell out of them on the passenger side.

Good point here-The wires that are way way out there on the ohm test are the passenger side. These three wires ohmed out too very low ohms. The next question is: What type of wire wrap can you use on the passenger side? Thanks- Brad

Good point here-The wires that are way way out there on the ohm test are the passenger side. These three wires ohmed out too very low ohms. The next question is: What type of wire wrap can you use on the passenger side? Thanks- Brad

I used Summit racing thermo sleeves part no. SUM-350117.
They way I have my wires routed on the passengers side is with the 3 wires traveling right along side of the cooling pipe from the heater core. The no 2 plug wire will of coarse branch off first the the no. 4 & 6 travel along sisde the pipe until they are out of the way enough to pop them on the spark plugs. All 3 heat wrapped twice. I wish I had a pic to show you but I don't. If you do this I can guarantee you won't have anymore wire failures. 4 yrs and counting and no failures yet.

Wires

Those wires are currently being sold on Ebay for 114.00. They look good but you can find a god set here and buy at summit for half the price.Taylor Cable Products :: Product Line And I know for a fact there are no quality issues with these. Or just buy everything you need from them and make your own.

Those wires are currently being sold on Ebay for 114.00. They look good but you can find a god set here and buy at summit for half the price.Taylor Cable Products :: Product Line And I know for a fact there are no quality issues with these. Or just buy everything you need from them and make your own.

That price may sound high to some, but here is my experience.
Since I purchased "non-bulk" parts and tooling, I have more than that in a set of 9mm wires.
The only benefit is my skewed perception of satisfaction of having it done the way I "think" it should fit. :rolleyes:;)

One time (before the 9mm wire project), I purchased a set of 8-mm single end terminated V8 wires ($70)and the tool ($35).
Custom fitted them, cut to length, and terminated the open end.
They easily worked up to 27PSI at a 0.033 plug gap.
That was a cheaper option than my 9mm project. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the tips. I have saved this thread. The information to share here is quite simple. It really is worth it to do an ohm test on your coil pak and spark plug wires. My coil pak was at 13.8 ohms(should be 11-13ohms) and all spark plug wires within 10% of each other. My AC Delco wires after four years use were totally bad. Ohms were all over the place.

Picked up a used set of wires which all ohmed out around 1 as a short term(next year) fix from a board member. The coil pak change and good wires made a huge difference. This along with a good knock sensor has really paid off. I can finally turn up the boost past 12 and use the Razor kit. Thanks for all the help. Brad

how do we know when the wires and or the coil pack is getting old? miss fire? so far so good for me. 6100rpm 25psi and not missing a beat.

how do we know when the wires and or the coil pack is getting old? miss fire? so far so good for me. 6100rpm 25psi and not missing a beat.

I had backfire/ poping noise from the engine. I was told to measure the ohms on the three coil pak towers and the spark plug wires. This link gives you the specs. Quick Reference Page For the '86/'87 Turbo Regals and '89 Turbo T/A

My spark plug wires went from 1.0 to 8. Replaced coil pak and wires and problem solved. Brad

Have you checked out Magnecore plug wires?
They make a set specific for the Buick. Check out their website.

Have you checked out Magnecore plug wires?
They make a set specific for the Buick. Check out their website.

Yes. I plan on ordering a set over the winter. They are engine and model year specific with a lifetime warranty. Thanks- Brad

I just changed my wires today and holy ****. I've been having intermittant problems from day one and other than the fuel pump this has been the most significant improvement in performance yet. I used $28 standard wires cause I'm tired of throwing $ at the car and didn't expect this kind of results.
Yesterday I removed my hollow cat thinking my mufflers where plugged with old cat material. It was with the open exhaust that I could clearly hear the intermittant missing. It had Kenny Bell wires (red) on it that may well be 20 years old. Only drove about 20 miles butt it's looking real good. I may be ready for street legal drags on the 5th after all.