You can type here any text you want

Need turbo tunning pointers please!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

86GN-862+2

Ok gentlemen,
everything seems normal to me but I need expert advice. My car with mods in my signature runs poorly(15's and maybe 12lbs of boost)

scan master readings at idle warmed up:
AF 04
LB 31-33
BAT 13.1v-13.4v
INT 128
BL 123 and goes down from there under load no matter what I do!<<<
MPH 00
CLT 171
ATS 78
Rpms 750-820
TPS .42
IAC 33-36
MAL 00
Fuel pressure hose on about 38psi, Hose off 34.5-35 psi with 237 FPR
X-counts are erratic/normal I guess. Also, what is a safe max RPM for these stock engines while making a run??

When I take it out, the BL goes down to 113-115 even with the fuel set at 150(option 1 and 2 of the TT chip). I got that high in increments of 3-4 numbers. I just don't get any knock retard on the display at all(stays at 00).
Temp climbs quickly to around 210 degrees but I let off at that point. Boost registers 12psi(boost gauge is connected to fpr hose). I need to get rid of the excessive heat as well!! I know lean conditions worsen this but helps me get the BL's high enough:confused: Thank you very much!!

Jr.

TT Chip is for 91 octane but I found a place where they sell 92 octane and used that instead. Don't think it would matter though. Upon acceleration, the BL fall into the 110's ,then go up to 128 when I let off the gas, then it stays at 122 while cruising. I don't hear it knock and knock displays 00. :confused: any input is appreciated. If it makes ANY difference, the Bosch injectors are high impendance.

do your blm's fall under 118 under load ? I've always been told as long as they are within 10 either way.

Yes! all the way down to around 112 accroding to SM. I thought putting more fuel in would help but I'm almost maxed out on the TT chip's setting and doesn't make any difference.

Talked to Eric and he suggested I take one of the screens out on the MAF sensor. What do you know! It worked.:rolleyes: Broke into the high 14's at least. I really need to tune it some more. TV cable is also out of whack. Slowly but surely. If I get it to low 14's or high 13's I'll be happy-for a while:D :p

Fuel pressure hose on about 38psi, Hose off 34.5-35 psi with 237 FPR

When I take it out, the BL goes down to 113-115 even with the fuel set at 150(option 1 and 2 of the TT chip). I got that high in increments of 3-4 numbers. I need to get rid of the excessive heat as well!! I know lean conditions worsen this but helps me get the BL's high enough:confused:
Jr.

Something's wrong here... fuel pressure should be HIGHER with hose off... vacuum to the fp regulator should pull the fuel pressure down.... as well, your numbers indicate a rich condition, not lean....

do your blm's fall under 118 under load ? I've always been told as long as they are within 10 either way.

Yes! all the way down to around 112 accroding to SM. I thought putting more fuel in would help but I'm almost maxed out on the TT chip's setting and doesn't make any difference.

BL's down there (112-115) are indicative of a RICH condition. Not sure why you are adding fuel in the chip?? BL's below 128 indicate that the ecm is (already) pulling fuel because it's too rich... so you shouldn't be trying to add more...

I would suggest you reset the chip to nominal, install an adj. fpr, set to 43 psi line off, verify fp is behaving off base normally (lowers under vacuum, increases 1:1 with boost), and re-evaluate where you are then....

HTH... :)

Sorry about my erroneous original post. I was a bit frustrated and dissapointed about my car's performace that I didn't notice that. Hose off the pressure is at 44-45psi. I just noticed that I typed the wrong numbers. Thank you for setting me straight here!! I am confused about the BL values apparently since the instructions from TT specifically say lower numbers equal less fuel/timing and the opposite for higher BL values. I guess I don't know how to read the SM. I better educate myself some more on it. Seems I'm diong the oppsite of what needs to be done to tune this car properly. I reset the chip to default and removed the one screen and it helped a great deal BL stay at around 122 under hard acceleration now. Is it safe for these engines to be revved up to 6000 rpm? I have stayed under 5500 rpm so far.:confused:
One thing I am tinkering with is the TV cable. The previous owner had it all the way in and it won't upshift unless I let off the gas. Letting off the gas equals slowing down. So far, I've logged a best run of 14.98 with on the Gtech with TV cable readjusted.
:frown: I know I should be about a sec faster...just need to find it. I know the Gtech is not really that accurate but it helps a bit. I step on the gas pedal to the point of almost breaking the tires loose then I take off. I guess this how these cars get launched.

As far as revving the engine goes, it sounds as if you're shifting it manually??
Don't, just put it in drive or overdrive and let it shift on its own.

The TV cable should be adjusted so that it shifts very firm into 2nd & noticeably firm into 3rd under light throttle. Under light throttle it should actually shift into 3rd 2-3 seconds after it makes the 1-2 shift.

I was running into a similar problem. I jacked up the fuel on my chip as well and it ran much worse. My car seems to like a leaner condition. Our setups are not the same (check sig), but I think I am going to try removing a screen from my MAF now to see what happens.

I'm sure you are reading the SM just fine.... but you may be mis-interpreting the instructions for Eric's chips. Here's a nice little BLM/INT writeup on gnttype.org by Dave Huinker (TurboDave here) that you should read:

Block Learn Multiplier and Integrator

As suggested above, most of our (street-ish) cars run best when left to their own devices as to when to shift... and they typically shift on their own at around 5100-5200. Best to just leave it in drive and let it do it's thing... assuming the TV cable is set correctly.... and to do that, just loosen it up in the bracket, floor the throttle (carpet mat removed, and verify throttle plate/lever position is pinned by hand) so the cable ratchets forward on it's own, then then manually ratchet it one notch, maybe two, tighter.... that should be ideal....

I'm sure you are reading the SM just fine.... but you may be mis-interpreting the instructions for Eric's chips. Here's a nice little BLM/INT writeup on gnttype.org by Dave Huinker (TurboDave here) that you should read:

Block Learn Multiplier and Integrator

As suggested above, most of our (street-ish) cars run best when left to their own devices as to when to shift... and they typically shift on their own at around 5100-5200. Best to just leave it in drive and let it do it's thing... assuming the TV cable is set correctly.... and to do that, just loosen it up in the bracket, floor the throttle (carpet mat removed, and verify throttle plate/lever position is pinned by hand) so the cable ratchets forward on it's own, then then manually ratchet it one notch, maybe two, tighter.... that should be ideal....

Alrighty then! The smoke is starting to clear. Thank you very much for the explanations. The TV cable was adjusted as indicated above but the engine just fell on its face and boost was non-existent(didn't down shift). I think something is bent inside the transmission being how the previous owner had it set as tight as it would go!:mad: I have now adjusted it to attain the shifts on a more timely manner(I got it to shift on its own at around 5300rpm). Big difference it made but still lacking perfomance. Now that I've been set straight, I should get a bit more out of it.;) You guys are correct when you say I missinterpreted the readings on the SM. Thank you a bunch!:smile: I'll be happy with low 14's and a smooth ride....For now:biggrin:

I was running into a similar problem. I jacked up the fuel on my chip as well and it ran much worse. My car seems to like a leaner condition. Our setups are not the same (check sig), but I think I am going to try removing a screen from my MAF now to see what happens.

Removing one of the screens made a noticeable difference 4-sure!
I will eventually improve on my set up. Your set up looks awesome for a LS1, LS7, SRT8 beater. Hehehe They got to take it hard when they get beat by a tiny V-6! I like my Buick A LOT.

Back