New Age Sleepers

Somebody posted about a Saab Turbo Sportcombi, which I can vouch for as having good sleeper potential. I picked mine up a couple weeks back. Out of the box they are not too impressive, but a re-mapped ECM and a cold air kit will get the 2.8turbo to put down 350whp and 400wtq. There's not a rustang on the road that will expect to get his pee-pee slap by a Nordic Station Wagon. :)

Handles like an MFer too.

DSC00981.jpg

DSC00982.jpg

How about a TRUCK??

These (SRT-10) can be had for under 20K with low miles lately and are available in QuadCab! Most people will be asking you "Does that thing have a Hemi?". Does not meet your MPG criteria but as far as having FUN and SURPRISING the guy in the other lane it is one of the most enjoyable vehicles I have ever owned!

Bristol,_VA_026.jpg

05 to present Legacy GT's. They are 2.5 Turbo AWD and they hall ass. My wife and i had one and we just sold it. 250 hp's out of the box and run 0 to 60 in under 6 seconds. And mpg is in the mid to high 20's

As far as foreign is concerned, I always considered myself an American, so committing sedition was something never on the radar. My veteran Grandfather and Father would never hear of it. Sorry, have to respect their legacy and the sacrifices of others who built this country.

I did not realize by posting up a few foreign cars that I would be labeled a seditionist (one who incites discontent or rebellion against a government).

And this 25 year military veteran (including combat zones) truly believes he is a patriot.

95% of the cars mentioned in this thread are not sleepers. if you remotely know anything about cars you suspect almost everything. a good sleeper i can think of is the park ave ultra, olds LSS supercharged. you suspect a bonneville of the same era because its more sporty and marketed as such.

i'm sorry but a cts-v....not a sleeper.

sleepers are cars in plain clothes... most of the srt8s, SS's...all have extra body mods that indicate what they are. infact most factory build cars are not sleepers. Stuff people build at home become sleepers.

not a very fast car but P71 crown vics are a sleeper of sorts. you can do plenty of mods including cobra swap to make them super sleepers.

Only modern sleepers on the road are turbo Saabs. Go test drive one and you won't be able to stop giggling like a little girl.

Only modern sleepers on the road are turbo Saabs. Go test drive one and you won't be able to stop giggling like a little girl.

What do they run in the 1/4?

If I'm going to own an ugly car, it better be fast.

95% of the cars mentioned in this thread are not sleepers. if you remotely know anything about cars you suspect almost everything. a good sleeper i can think of is the park ave ultra, olds LSS supercharged. you suspect a bonneville of the same era because its more sporty and marketed as such.

i'm sorry but a cts-v....not a sleeper.

sleepers are cars in plain clothes... most of the srt8s, SS's...all have extra body mods that indicate what they are. infact most factory build cars are not sleepers. Stuff people build at home become sleepers.

not a very fast car but P71 crown vics are a sleeper of sorts. you can do plenty of mods including cobra swap to make them super sleepers.

The problem with grandpa style sleepers is no one ever challenges you to a race because it isn't worth the gas.

The best sleeper is a car that nobody thinks is fast and everyone wants to beat up on.

A Crossfire SRT6 looks like a 16 second regular crossfire with a JC whitney whale tail on it, but it runs 13.0's@110 mph on 18" tires. Take off the SRT6 emblems and put a Mexican flag front license plate on it and you are ready to take money away from people.

I am a little more old school

94 to 96 buick roadmaster or caprice but I prefer the roadmaster.

LT1, 4L60E add exhaust, CAI and tune. That thing will do funny car length burnouts, go head to head with mustang or turbo honda. All while caring a months woth of groceries, the kids, the wife and your GN on an open trailer.

Get one with the soft top like I had and the fun really begins.

I also like the W bodied cars with the 3800 SC cars. I have done a few of these and the cars respond well to mods, a pulley and a tune. A low 13 car is no issue along with 24 to 26 mpg. They can be had very reasonable too.

Yeah the W body cars are pretty decent and are easy/respond well to mods.
I have a white '99 GTP 2 door for anyone looking. Has heads up display, moon roof, factory chrome 5 spokes, and I average 28.5 mpg, but I drive mostly highway with it.

I recently traded in my 04 SRT-10 Ram for a 04 CL600. I am very impressed with the CL600. It looks like just another luxury car but has the twin turbo V12. Stock it makes 496hp and 598tq, next month I am sending the ECU to Kleeman performance to get 627hp and 700tq.

Somebody posted about a Saab Turbo Sportcombi, which I can vouch for as having good sleeper potential. I picked mine up a couple weeks back. Out of the box they are not too impressive, but a re-mapped ECM and a cold air kit will get the 2.8turbo to put down 350whp and 400wtq. There's not a rustang on the road that will expect to get his pee-pee slap by a Nordic Station Wagon. :)

Handles like an MFer too.

DSC00981.jpg

DSC00982.jpg

What's it run in the 1/4?

Two people post that Saabs are fast and yet I have never in my entire life have ever seen a Saab at a dragstrip (other than a Subaru 9-2X, but those don't count)

As for 350 Hp, you got a dyno graph?

What's it run in the 1/4?

Two people post that Saabs are fast and yet I have never in my entire life have ever seen a Saab at a dragstrip (other than a Subaru 9-2X, but those don't count)

As for 350 Hp, you got a dyno graph?

Car & Driver put it at a 14.8 @ 94mph. It weighs just under 4000lbs but I think with some work one could get 400hp out of it and it would be a fun wagon.

Or one could check into the new Hyundai Genesis cars. The sedan comes with a 375hp V8 and the coupes come with either a 305hp V6 or a 210hp turbo four-banger. Some people are making big numbers on the turbo motor already.

Car & Driver put it at a 14.8 @ 94mph. It weighs just under 4000lbs but I think with some work one could get 400hp out of it and it would be a fun wagon.

No thanks.

That Sport Combi is $43K :rolleyes: "some work" to get "400 HP is likely another $10K :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For that money I could buy a 2010 SS Camaro and have enough left over to buy a used Subaru XT Turbo wagon, both of which will kick the crap out of the Saab.

When you factor in the plummeting resale value of the saab, 5 years from now I'd be up $20K, too.

No thanks.

That Sport Combi is $43K :rolleyes: "some work" to get "400 HP is likely another $10K :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For that money I could buy a 2010 SS Camaro and have enough left over to buy a used Subaru XT Turbo wagon, both of which will kick the crap out of the Saab.

When you factor in the plummeting resale value of the saab, 5 years from now I'd be up $20K, too.

MSRP on my car is $41k, which is hilariously overpriced. The one I just got with all the frills, except navi, was $23K after all the rebates- far more realistic. As far as track times, I have been trolling the Saab forums for a couple weeks, and no one really tracks their cars. Plus there's not many out there with the 2.8T.

Here's a dyno graph of one vendor's "stage 0" tune. There's several out there offering similar numbers on just a re-flash. Larger downpipes, CAI's, and a re-worked exhaust will net a bit more.

http://www.vtunersaabs.com/Stage_0_Dyno.html

Which again proves that there really aren't any new factory sleepers out there.
I agree with UNGN's choice of the SRT6 Crossfire, if you can find one to go up against that doesn't have a bank manager behind the wheel. It's a sweet package that was rare even when new. Used ones could be found cheap, (I looked before my purchase, couldn't do 2 seats).

I like what DripPan did to his LS4 Impy SS, took it down a few notches in the looks department (de-badge/de-spoiler). With the exception of the chrome tips, I wouldn't give it a second look. Well played.

Here's some interesting reading, skip to the 1/4 times if you have a short attention span. Most of those cars can be obtained now at a decent price.
The Quickest Sedans of 2008: $30,000 to $40,000 - Feature/Quickest Cars: 0-60 MPH/Car Shopping/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

There may be a sleeper or two in the bunch.:cool:

you have to define fast...fast compared to what modded cars are running or fast compared to ur average everyday car.

you have to define fast...fast compared to what modded cars are running or fast compared to ur average everyday car.

Fast to me would be a 13.0 and or 110+ mph with street tires. That is fast enough to take out 99% of the cars and drivers you would meet on the street or at an 1/8th mile track, including most viper drivers.

MSRP on my car is $41k, which is hilariously overpriced. The one I just got with all the frills, except navi, was $23K after all the rebates- far more realistic. As far as track times, I have been trolling the Saab forums for a couple weeks, and no one really tracks their cars. Plus there's not many out there with the 2.8T.

Here's a dyno graph of one vendor's "stage 0" tune. There's several out there offering similar numbers on just a re-flash. Larger downpipes, CAI's, and a re-worked exhaust will net a bit more.

VTuner Saabs - Stage 0 Dyno

No one tracks saabs because the don't hook for **** and they actually aren't all that fast, even modded.

which is pretty much what I thought.

The fastest saab you can buy is a Subaru 9-2X.