New and in love with it

Go for it. I too am a mechanic/technician. I bought mine 7 years ago. I paid $5,100 for a 65,000 mile 86 GN. Body was excellent, paint was fair. I was told it had a blown head gasket. Knowing nothing about these cars, I blindly tore into it only to find the head gaskets were fine. So, now that the heads were off, I sent them out for a basic go through. I changed the cam & lifters, did all the recommended upgrades to the engine. New fuel pump, hot wire, etc. After talking to a bunch of guys on all the GN sites I could find, I replaced my turbo. That was my smoke problem. I now have over 175 time slips on this car, tranny went bad last fall. Installed a rebuilt Janis tranny this year along with a turbo & injector upgrade. Havent gone to the 1/4 track yet but I did run it at a local 1/8 mile & matched last years best. You sound like you have plenty of mechanical ability. That along with the guidance of sites like these, you'll be fine. Welcome to the dark side, enjoy the ride!!:D

I guess I'll put it out there again.

Make sure the engine is built by someone that knows turbo Buicks. If you don't, you will soon find out why.

The part that concerns me is you said "machine shop" and "350" in the same sentence.

You will love the car.

Xbreed
if you have an extra Mustang around then sacrifice it to fund your new obsession. ;) see if you can access gnttype.org also. lots of tech info there.

BUY IT. Sounds like a good car .Just make sure you get buick specs.on crank
cyl.piston.ect. for your machinest . I put a junk yard 4.1 in mine , with a
carefull rebuild and it runs strong.Dont let it scare you. Fun cars to own and drive .Make sure you allways drive it on full moon nights,set on KILL!
Have fun.

since no/one answered your question. you can get parts at Poston's, FullThrottleSpeed.com, GBodyParts.com, Cotton's Performance, Nick McAill here on this site, RJC Racing, and a few others that I know I didn't list.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will find a shop that knows the motor. My guy that built my 350 did an awesome job and I have no complaints. More power and it was a good price. However I will get all specs if I do decide to chance it with someone who does not do these motors only. You guys are kinda scaring me but how hard could it possibly be:confused: . Anyways thanks again and I am sure I will be on here a lot more. Once I get the car home and settled I will get some pics up for you all to see.

The point some of the guys are trying to make about the words "chevy" and "350", is that if your machinist sets up the bearing clearances like a small block chevy, the engine won't last. They need to be set up tight, and are a different animal altogether. Do a search on engine rebuilds.

I will for sure. All I was saying is that I had a starting block. The guy has been in business since his father started it back in the 70s I am sure. He will tell if he can do it or not, but thanks for the advice.