You can type here any text you want

New build

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

movinfast

I'm pulling the frame of my tt In about a month. while it's off I want to rebuild my engine. I'm new to rebuilding an engine. I've been reading on it doesn't seem like rocket science but I really need all your guys help. I'm not trying to go crazy with it Low 11 sounds right for me. So can you guys give me ideas on a good set up. Should I change the cam, piston valves? Or is stock good enough?. It's a project car so I'll be buying piece by piece. Can't afford to just go buy it all. Right now it completely stock, just a big mouth cold air intake. It's been sitting in storage since 08' with the water pump off. Snapped a bolt on the front mount. Times got hard and lost my place. Now I'm back on my feet and ready to bring it back to life

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Or would it be smarter and safer to buy the set up you guys offer and take it to a mechanic.

Congrats for getting back on your feet! Don't forget, Low 11s you'll need a transmission and torque converter that will live through it. A larger turbo, injectors, down pipe, exhaust, intercooler or big neck, custom chip, alky... sticky tires, it depends, It's all about combination and a good tune. Do you have a scan tool of any sorts? Direct Scan, Turbo Link, Power logger, Scan Master? This is a must.

If you do the motor I would recommend Forged pistons, arp rod bolts, billet main caps, mild cam like a 204/214 cam, ported iron cylinder heads. Get your wallet out...

I live in Cali is all that going to be a problem with the sniffer

Thanks it feel good to be in a house again. Once I get the engine out and on a stand. Just take it apart and start with.... Like I said I'm new to building an engine

No scan tool yet. I know I'm going to need it

If the engine is in good shape right now I would recommend you don't take it apart.

It is in good shape pushing 85k.

I figured I do it while the body is off so I don't have to do it when the bodies freshly painted and back on

Replace the timing chain, do the valve springs and keep on truckin'. That' engines got another 100,000 left in it.

Tearing that engine apart will probably get you caught up in the newbie curse ® and it's never good after that

A friend of mine had 2 intercooled turbo buicks 1 with 240,000 the other had 220,000 miles. The old
gm hightech performance magazine T had about 300,000 before they had to yank it. All 3 cars were beat on too !!!

X4 on the valve springs n Timing chain. Do a compression check and a leak down. Then, "if it aint broke, dont fix it."

Ok what valve springs and timing chain. A double roller.? What brand is rely able

Get hold of one of our vendors. They can set you up with stuff according to your goals.

I like the stock timing set. They have an established track record of being quiet, and lasting 150,000 or 20 years, which ever comes first.

Earl, my motor has been apart 4 times now in the past 80,000 miles with countless dollars, and I still can't get it to stay in one piece...is that part of the newbie curse? or just bad luck? ;)

Depends. Did you break something that could have been avoided if you'd held back until you took care of something simple? What was the 4 reasons the engine required you to take it apart? Bad parts? left over damage from a previous failure? assembly error? etc...

When I penned the phrase 'newbie curse' I was thinking about the people that get these cars and won't do simple stuff like replace a cracked wastegate hose because it's too much fun beating on the car..... then think it's just a head gasket job.... then wonder why gaskets won't stay in it... then wonder what hammering sound is in the oil pan.... then decide these cars are garbage...

Depends. Did you break something that could have been avoided if you'd held back until you took care of something simple? What was the 4 reasons the engine required you to take it apart? Bad parts? left over damage from a previous failure? assembly error? etc...

When I penned the phrase 'newbie curse' I was thinking about the people that get these cars and won't do simple stuff like replace a cracked wastegate hose because it's too much fun beating on the car..... then think it's just a head gasket job.... then wonder why gaskets won't stay in it... then wonder what hammering sound is in the oil pan.... then decide these cars are garbage...
I don't think I'll be a newbie curse. I think ill be more of the I ran outta money now I gotta wait to get it done curse lol. 1 part at a time

Back