New, current updated Michigan thread.

Holy crap! Sorry I didn't post back sooner but I figured it would be at least a month to get a reply. ;-)

Yeah, the Gilmore is a great museum. They have a rotating exhibit and the Muscle Car one ended last winter or spring. There were a bunch of pristine rare muscle cars on display. They also had a great AJ Foyt exhibit with a bunch of his race cars on display from sprinters to Indy cars and sports cars. The current rotating exhibit is Dusenburgs if you're into that. They still have some cool 60's and 70's cars on display. You can spend a day there. Or do 1/2 day at Gilmore and a 1/2 day at the Air Zoo. Air Zoo is cool, especially if you have kids with you. Or if you're a plane buff. I'm ex-USAF so I can look at planes for hours. Bores the shit out of my wife.

Wednesday night is the regular cruise night at the Gilmore. 190 cars last Wednesday and there must have been over 400 a week or two before. Last week was hot with a threat of rain so the car count was down. Usually a live music act and a outdoor bar set up. Plus the old 50's diner for food and ice cream. The SW Mich Muscle Cat Club has their show in September. Red Barns Spectacular Show and Swap Meet is coming up in early Aug. I think it's the 3rd. Never been to Woodward. I'd like to make a pilgrimage there.
Where is the SW Mich Muscle Cat Club located?

Sorry, it's West Michigan Muscle Car club, not "Southwest". Not sure where they are based but they are active in the Kalamazoo area.

From the Gilmore event listing: "Gary Trama with the West Michigan Muscle Car Club at XXX-XXX-XXXX or by emailing gtowner69@aol.com"

I don't know Gary and I'm not gonna post his phone number here but you could email him or check out their FB page.

The group from West Michigan Muscle Car Club was at the Red Barns show two weekends ago at the Gilmore. They are based out of Kalamazoo. Tonight at the Gilmore Wednesday Night Cruise, Street Rodder Magazine is supposed to show up. Should be another good night for car count. Last week was down a little but still over 200 cars easy. We've had a couple Wednesday night cruises with over 600 cars. That's pretty incredible for a weeknight cruise-in out in the sticks. Mine is still generally the only turbo Buick at the cruise. I did see one nice 87 GN leaving the Red Barns show a couple weekends ago but I didn't get a chance to flag the guy down to talk. Looked really clean from a distance. Of course, so does mine...... from a distance. I don't think I can go over to Woodward this year. I have weekend call and 2+ hours away is too far to wander.

Looks like most of the members here are on the east side of the state. Is anyone going to the 28th St Cruise in Grand Rapids this Saturday the 24th? Does anybody have a lot picked out for TB's if you go?

Looks like most of the members here are on the east side of the state. Is anyone going to the 28th St Cruise in Grand Rapids this Saturday the 24th? Does anybody have a lot picked out for TB's if you go?
I noted that East side thing a long time ago. I wish more of us West siders would join the forum. Because I live only a couple blocks South of 28th st. I will be attending the Cruise. I usually drive the full length of 28th st. on Friday around noon. People are starting to set up their stuff and the traffic isn't crazy yet. On Saturday I will probably go to Rogers Plaza but I won't drive "Old Blue" down into the insanity. She will be parked a block or two away and I'll walk in.

I have Saturday off so I might drive my GN up for the cruise. It's no beauty queen but it looks better since I changed the bumper fillers. Maybe a 20 footer if it's sitting in the shade. Hastings has a big show downtown on Sunday, but I have to work. If I get out early enough I might go up to that. I've never been to it, just heard about it from a guy at the Relix Riot show last weekend.

I'm gonna be tied up Saturday taking my son back to college but I will head up to the 28th Street cruise tonight for a little while if I get off work early enough. Hope to see some other TB's up there.

I'm gonna be tied up Saturday taking my son back to college but I will head up to the 28th Street cruise tonight for a little while if I get off work early enough. Hope to see some other TB's up there.
I drove the full length of 28th st. today:( Most of it was a parking lot. Usually, I drive it a little earlier like noon but today I didn't get out until about 1 pm. Traffic was starting to get stupid. Didn't see any other TB's. Did see a poor guys' BMW get it's front end smucked. I don't know what year it was but it was one of the square ones. Now it's even a little more squared.

I drove up and made one cruise up 28th and turned around an came back toward 131. It took almost an hour. This was about 9 PM or so. Mostly just idled along. A couple places with a short gap. There were a few cars doing short, tire chirping burnouts. The cops were out in force but seemed pretty low key. At one point a whole string of cops on bikes and in cars drove right down the middle of 28th with their lights flashing and sirens on and then came back. I don't know if there was an "issue" or if it was just a show of "hey, we're right here, so keep your nose clean" or what. My car did roll over 100K on the way home so I now have a low mile, original GN with 6 miles on it. :) One -owner!

I drove up and made one cruise up 28th and turned around an came back toward 131. It took almost an hour. This was about 9 PM or so. Mostly just idled along. A couple places with a short gap. There were a few cars doing short, tire chirping burnouts. The cops were out in force but seemed pretty low key. At one point a whole string of cops on bikes and in cars drove right down the middle of 28th with their lights flashing and sirens on and then came back. I don't know if there was an "issue" or if it was just a show of "hey, we're right here, so keep your nose clean" or what. My car did roll over 100K on the way home so I now have a low mile, original GN with 6 miles on it. :) One -owner!
That's one way to get a "new" car!

Friday 20th.... Fort Gratiot Big Boy 'Under the lights show'
Sat 28th... North Gratiot cruise in Chesterfiled
Oct 2.... Holly Halloween Show
Oct ?? Dooleys Roseville Halloween show, usually the last Sunday before Haloween. DJ, candy and costumes / awards.

A member of our local group passed.. not sure if it is my place to say.. but it saddens me greatly......

We will be meeting at the SW corner of Gratiot and 23 this Saturday.. there is a Wendys, Coney Island, and a great bar right in the lot... Oreilleys was giving out hot dogs last year..... starts at 12.. hope to see everyone there... Big Toast to Bill scheduled !!!!!

Bill Chumack , he died peacefully in his sleep (Thursday 9-19-19). arrangements haven't been made yet, but plans are for a celebration of his life sometime in the near future. RIP buddy, will miss talking to you at the car shows.

Attachments

• bill.jpg
    bill.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 14