You can type here any text you want

New engine break-in procedures.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SS_Sean

Pro Bracket
Hey, guys, I searched but found nothing. The new build is almost done. Details in the sig. I would like to do an engine break-in and am looking for suggestions. I know plenty about the SBC/BBC, but nothing about these little V6's. Give me your procedures that have worked for you. Obviously NO boost until it's broken in well. I'll disconnect the alky injection and back off the waste gate rod, so I'm not temped by the alky devil. :)

Hyrdaulic flat tappet.

Basically, to break in a flat tappet cam, run the motor for about 20 to 30 mins changing rpm's between 1,500rpm to 2,500rpm, then shut down, change oil and let the car cool off for about 10 mins, check for leaks etc etc, then go and follow the same procedure as stated on link posted to seat the rings and your done. remember that if your going to run it hard you gotta break it in hard, I followed the procedure on the posted link and my car starts, idles and drives with no smoking whatsoever.. :), Remember that the 1st 20 miles of break in at the most critical to seal the rings in any vehicle, turbo or natural aspirated..:biggrin:

Thanks, guys. Same procedure for the V8's then. I'm assuming the 'running hard' doesn't include boosting it, but running n/a. I'd like to creep up on the boost and make sure my tune is proper.

You need to get into a little boost when you first take it out to seat the rings...around 5 PSI...

The break in procedure will be the same as your small & big block Chevys. Run it @ 1,500 - 2,500 rpm for 15 - 20 minutes to break in the cam. The rings will seat themselves within 50 miles of driving as long as the correct hone was done on the block for the type of ring you're using. Good luck with it! :smile:

A little boost wont hurt anything in order to seat those rings. I know I spooled it a little with my new engine back in November and no issues so far....:)

Should I shut the alky pump down and leave it off until I get the motor broke in and a few miles on her? Or should I let the alky pump alone and let it spray just as it did before the rebuild?

Reason I ask this is because alot has changed since the old combo. Have ported heads and intake now, slightly larger cam then before, and also went from a TA49 to a PTE GT6262.

Use alchy, get into boost, lots of speed up slow down speed up driving & not cruising but Dont Detonate it! Only rule! No Detonation!
After 100 miles its ready for the track! If not the track some good wot runs with No Detonation. Altho, you should never have detonation no matter how old the motor is. Have Fun. To me the breakin is best part!!

Oh, yeah....like putting on a new pair of shoes. You just feel like you can run faster with them on! :biggrin:

Back