You can type here any text you want

New engine, oil press. question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

86 TR

Work In Progress
Just got my new combo fired up this last weekend. Runs pretty good, just a few drivability issues. I put a 210-215 roller from full throttle, roller rockers, ported irons, intake.

I did not change the bearing clearances on the bottom end. Just put new bearings in it and called it good.

My oil pressure last year with a flat tappet cam was about 15psi idle hot, 60psi WOT with 10w30 oil. Now the new combination idles at 30psi and 70psi WOT. I did not change the pump either! It weird, what would cause my increase in oil pressure. Not that im complaining because we all know buicks don't seem to have a lot to begin with.

Im stumped. Is is because of the roller rockers, cam? I dunno.:confused:

Did you put in new cam bearings? What about the cam. Did either the one you took out or the one you put in have a groove in it?

I just reused the cam bearings. They were in excellent shape. The flat tappet cam did have a groove in the front journal. This roller does not.

Maybe this is what caused the pressure to go up?

I'm running the same combo this year. 210-215 roller, rockers are T&D & my pressure went up some as well! I find the pressure responds Much Faster than it used to. Its almost instant now. I Like it!
Any throttle blip & I get 60 psi right away. 70 when 3/4 or more throttle with an average idle of 20+ hot. Cold is more like 40+
Using 20-50 Rotella & I sure wouldnt complain about it!
Be Happy!! Cheers!

PS: Must be these Super 210-215 cams we use! ;)

I'm not saying it's definitely bad, but it's worth thinking about. I mean, all you have to do is plug your feed passage in the block and you could have 100's of pounds of pressure at idle. Doesn't that sound great! :rolleyes: Oil pressure is an indicator, but it's only part of the equation. If you guys didn't change your pumps or clearances or anything then what that means is that your volume through the pump has gone down. Like I said, it might be ok, but you should probably figure out what happened just in case.

The groove in the cam makes a difference! There's alot of spill off at that #1 journal,no groove slows it and sends more oil down the line to the rest of the mains/rods. It's a good thing:)

J........Im stumped. Is is because of the roller rockers, cam? I dunno.:confused:

Could be the adjusting screw in the roller rockers are not positioned [or set properly] and are covering the oil supply hole?:eek:

Back