You can type here any text you want

New Exhaust needed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CJTTA

Hello Guys,
I just want to say congrats to J.D. and Jason for their TAI finishes at Bowling Green. It was a great time and the crawfish were great, thanks PUP. My exhaust has developed a slight rhythmic rattle, not helped by the drive to Kentucky and back. Is there a bolt up edition available? I have Razor's old THDP, I would like to get something that expounds on that (Go forward not backward). Should I go to the nearest Mitey Muffler and see if they can build me a custom cat-back or what?

New to the Game CJTTA

TTA #296

You might...

want to get the Borla System and work with it. Do it right the first time. I did not.

CRAWFISH!? 5hit! I missed out on that one! I think I met you at Jason's TTA, You had Miller Lite I think? Are you saying that from the cat back it's a bit old-ish? I'm pretty sure and others may know 4 sure, but the intermediate pipe is 3". the muffler...well probably not the best to make ultimate power obviously. A better muffler may help a bit. What I did was to get a THDP and then replace the cat with a dump and electric cutout, so when I want to run, I just open the cutout. I kept the stock intermediate pipe and muffler. It actually still runs pretty damn good with the exhaust closed up. There some other threads here that show a 4" cat back exhaust:eek: Really awesome, but maybe too extreme for you at this point. Before I did waht I did I had thought of having a local guy make me a 3" straight pipe from down pipe all the way out with no muffler. IMO I'm better off with the THDP to the open cutout for performance while retaining the stock appearance of the muffler. IMO with the right set-up an open 3" DP is hard to beat and the $$$ is less than a truly handmade custom all the way out or all the way to a Borla, Flowmaster or whatever aftermarket muffler. Also, with aftermarket mufflers you may not like the sound. Here's my elec-cutout picture below. Also I can easily go back to totally stock if I ever lose my marbles and have to sale it.
All stock will bring more $$$ in the long run
electricCutout.jpg

My exhaust is stock, on a 94K car. I would like to keep the same performance, but have a nice look also. I saw the pics of TTAFAN's exhaust, I thought it looked great. Ratfink, it looks like yours just drops to the floor right after where the Cat converter used to be, I would still like something to extend to the back of the car. For the other replies, I have not put it on the track, but I am running ALKY control, turbotweak chip, 50lb injectors, Limited TE-44, Champion heads, 3" THDP. I have a new Tranny built by Brian Hofer waiting for install, and a 10" 2800 stall on the way. The Cat is cut off, but I skipped on the dump pipe because it wouldn't fit the four bolt cat back. A 3" spacer did the trick. Looking to get it totally beautiful like Quiky One's for next years event.

CJTTA

Ratfink, it looks like yours just drops to the floor right after where the Cat converter used to be
CJTTA

Yep, I figure that the least amount of distance the exhaust energy has to travel from the turbine housing to the ozone and polar ice caps the better. haha! It's a cost effective way to release any back pressure.
Here's a reference pic, I bet he's fast
100_0382.jpg

I had a custom 3" SS cat back made for me. About $700 installed. But I still pick up 2 tenths by opening the dump. This is a 11.60 car. So nothing special. I would have gone 4" if I had known I would pick up 2 tenths by opening the dump.

I had a custom 3" SS cat back made for me. About $700 installed. But I still pick up 2 tenths by opening the dump. This is a 11.60 car. So nothing special. I would have gone 4" if I had known I would pick up 2 tenths by opening the dump.

Are you saying you would rather have a 4" inch from cat back or you think a dump would be enough? I would like a fenderwell dump if I didn't have to do major cutting. A GN has plastic fenderwells, so it's easy, TTA is metal so it's not realistically an option.

If I could do it again I would have looked into the 4" cat back. I do not want to have to open the dump on the test pipe to race. But I do like the fact that I reused the stock tips. I might look into a electric dump someday. But the exahust sounds good and looks good. Just wished it flow a little better.

The thing is, I would like to have a 4" and get it out of the way, but do I have to get it custom or can I get it on-line somewhere and bolt it myself. Dump or no dump. I don''t need the fastest car, Though I want the best performance with a semi-stock look. Cutting through the body for "quick to the ozone" is not what I had in mind. I still have stock intake and up pipe, but that is an easier fix. I am almost done with the big $$$ items, which is good cause first child is on the way. Once the exhaust is done all the pipes under the hood can be replaced rather inexpensively. Did I mention this would be a birthday present from my girl, so I am trying to make this as easy as possible for her.

The thing is, I would like to have a 4" and get it out of the way, but do I have to get it custom or can I get it on-line somewhere and bolt it myself. Dump or no dump. I don''t need the fastest car, Though I want the best performance with a semi-stock look. Cutting through the body for "quick to the ozone" is not what I had in mind. I still have stock intake and up pipe, but that is an easier fix. I am almost done with the big $$$ items, which is good cause first child is on the way. Once the exhaust is done all the pipes under the hood can be replaced rather inexpensively. Did I mention this would be a birthday present from my girl, so I am trying to make this as easy as possible for her.

Nope, You can't get a 4" inch from any vendor I've heard of. It's been done though,
Check this thread:http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-trans-am-tech/251738-ever-closer-9-s.html
Check here also:
electricexhaustcutout.htm

Re: Group Buy of 3" Electric Exhaust Cut-outs. - Turbo Trans Am Forum

I thought the Mufflex 4" was a kit?

Otherwise get a 3" cat back with a electric dump.

I thought the Mufflex 4" was a kit?

Otherwise get a 3" cat back with a electric dump.

??? Maybe so, In the run down on that thread above it says in the list of mods "Custom 4" " Maybe it is a kit? it looks one of 1 to me.

The Mufflex 4" system is a "made to order kit". They custom fit the brand of muffler you would like to use and the length of the cat delete pipe you need. The Mufflers have to be modified slightly depending on what brand. The Cat delete piece depends on the downpipe. When you call them, they explain it. It's usually about a three week wait. It sounds Killler though! More like a V8. I think it's hard to get a V6 to sound good, but this system does the trick.:cool:

How much are you looking to spend.

Inexpensive.. Hooker cat back and an electric cutout. Best of both worlds.

Expensive.. Borla, SLP, or Mufflex.

Is what it is.

I really like the sound of mine. Got rid of the 2.5" intermediate pipe and upgraded to a 3" from summit. Our is the same as single cat GTA.

I matched that up to a stainless Magnaflow muffer with 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets. I attached the factory 2.5" tailpipes and I've really liked it so far. Sounds stockish until you get on it. Still not real loud but sounds healthy. No drone on highway either.

Hey Razor,
How can I get in touch with these exhaust suppliers you speak of?
As for the reduction of highway drone, I am all about that.

I have that Edelbrock system on my '92 TPI bird and it's LOUD and it has a fair amount of drone too.

Back