New found power broke the tranny in the garage of all places

Intercooler

Testing the brake for the second time to see what the BFGDR's would hold. RPM comes up 3100, 3500, then it feels like something broke although not loud and the RPM's went to 4100 where I shut it immediately off. The tires never spun but unfortunately something in my trans must have:mad: Brand new trans and convertor to beat it all. The motor was making huge power when it busted so the weak link was found early:( I have no gears what-so-ever. The trans has a Stage-Right in it so what could it be? Just hope I didn't tear the convertor or other parts up. Time to yank it out:eek:

The two times I had the car out it feels to have more power than a 200 without all the billet stuff can take.

Think it is time for a 400?

I'll guess input shaft cause they seem to be the weakest link of the 200-4R from what I've seen....

Fired it up to get a look-see and now I have noise. The convertor is wobbling. My guess since I am not an expert is the input shaft. Un****ing believeable:(

What input shaft do you have? If it's stock, it would appear to be your problem. Contact Bruce, he could probably help you out.

If you don't drive the car much on the street or better yet on the highway and it's mostly a track car or weekend warrior I would get rid of the 200 and get a nice TH-400 w/ a trans-brake and have no worries!!! Many of the TSM racers seem to have this setup now and from the looks of your combo you will be making enough power (mid to low 10 second car) to make it work without robbing power.... JMO:)

Good luck:cool:

Stocker. I am a little :confused: This trans was more or less just the way it is in a 10.0@133 MPH Mustang with no problems and the first time I put real power to it the thing takes a dump on me:( Not exactly what I had in mind at this point taking out the trans again. Hopefully I didn't ruin anything else.

Think I would be better off to forgo the 200 and just put a 400 in it?

When I had it out today blowing the carbon out I can afford 30 HP. The car is scary fast from the drivers seat, no **** and that is light boost. 28-30 PSI I couldn't fathom it.

If your car is full weight like I'm guessing a 200 probably won't be that reliable if you race it often enough and from the sounds of it a good 200 with all of Bruce's Billet parts at the level of low 10's to high 9's pretty much has to be rebuilt once a year or so if you race it on a regular basis.... The 400 at that level has less maintenance and can definitely take more abuse so it seems like a logical step!

you'll need a modified cross member for the 400 mount, a new (different length) driveshaft, a new converter, most folks change the rear to 3.73 because of the higher 1st gear, and if you go with a trans brake you'll have a reverse manual valve body and streetability just went out the window

I have had zero problems with my 200 since using the good parts.......I figure the clutches need replacing each year or so, but no other hard parts seem to be hurt...I use the Stageright brake and like to launch at 4000 rpm

400's are tough, but they are race car only material.........if I had a "race car", I would have a 400....until then, I'm sticking with the 200

PS: I'll bet on a broken input shaft

My guess is the intermediate drum, I broke one too. about $100.

I have moved on past my 200 too. I got tired of fixing something all the time and couldn't fathom putting $3000 into it to make it somewhat bulletproof and still have to put new frictions in it every year. I'm getting a 400 built now. I'm putting in a 2.75:1 low gearset to match the 200's first gear ratio. A 32 element sprag and a Pro-Tree Trans brake. For the money I sold my 200 to a local guy for I'll have a bullitproof 400. I also have a Neal Chance converotor setting here for it too. Hr parts N stuf makes an adapter to use the stock cross member and shortening the DS is no big deal. The benifits outweigh the cost IMO. Plus you really don't loose that much over an OD on the highway since most generally a TH400 car will have 28" tires on it .

A few possible problems come to mind:

-If using a brake it is full manual. Can you see the emission tester trying to keep it in a range shifting manually:D
-I have been told the driveshaft is okay as-is:confused:
-Is it legal for inpection?
-Speedometer correction. How is that accomplished?

Just have to deal with it I guess.

Jesse,

If the tester has a problem with a manual auto shifted car then he would have a problem with all 5-6 speed cars that come thru....
:)
Ive seen them both ways on the shaft. Mine i had to shorten the yoke. Im about to install new adjustable upper & lower rear control arms and center the wheel in the opening.I believe im going to have to shorten the shaft now.

inspection should be fine as a tranny is a tranny, they both look alike;)

speedo correction can be done via the typical swapable speedo gears in the side of the case.

Jesse,

If you want to make your car a trailer queen, put the 400 in. They suck on the road for daily driving. I had zero problems with my 200 down to 9.70's. No hardened or billet parts. Ran it for a full season before putting in the 400 with trans brake. I can drive the car on the street but it just isn't the same. With the 200, I could drive anywhere, anytime and still achieve mid 1.40 sixty foot times off the foot brake. Love them BB turbos!! Combination is everything, some of us understand it, some don't. Compromising the goals in one area, pay for it in another.

I see. Well I guess I will just fix it then and replace what is broke with billet and go again. Although we try to weed out the weak parts I guess this can happen regardless.