new fuel sending unit.....GM only or is reproduction ok?

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
I'm in need of a new fuel sending unit for my digital dash car. Has anyone had any luck with the Spectre ones from Rock Auto or Auto Zone?

I've got a Racetronix 340 GSM pump in the tank now, but I remember some people having issues with the aftermarket pumps fitting on non-GM sending units. Should I roll the dice for $65 or buy a new GM one for $170?

I put a Spectre in mine several months ago and all is fine, nice unit plugs in and fits nice.

We installed a Spectre unit in a Regal conversion to e-85 a couple years ago, and even though it has a digital dash, it is provides a more accurate gauge reading than the original.

At 3 times the price, the GM unit is a joke and probably made off-shore, maybe by Spectre? :)

Spectre is just as good at a much lower price than the new GM units. And as Nick said they could be the same units with a GM sticker.

Pete

I'm in need of a new fuel sending unit for my digital dash car. Has anyone had any luck with the Spectre ones from Rock Auto or Auto Zone?

I've got a Racetronix 340 GSM pump in the tank now, but I remember some people having issues with the aftermarket pumps fitting on non-GM sending units. Should I roll the dice for $65 or buy a new GM one for $170?

We offer our custom stainless unit with the proper 120 ohm digital dash level sender option here:
http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=FPS-G7&eq=&Tp=

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=LSA-G7120&Tp=

See our sig below

Spectre is just as good at a much lower price than the new GM units. And as Nick said they could be the same units with a GM sticker.

Pete

Delphi is Stainless. Spectra is mild coated steel made in China.

Wow, for only $25 difference to go to stainless and support a vendor, I think I'll give the Racetronix one a shot. Thanks!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have a spectra one as well. The geometry on the float is different than stock. Meaning....where a stock gauge will be past F when full and reflect empty when on E. The spectra will be teh other way around...it stops almost dead on F when full but on E you have 5ish gallons. This is with a analog dash tho.

TOM TOM.....i recently checked out the Galant vids and it is coming along nicely.
Lil story......I lived in Japan for several years and had a modded R32 GTS-t Skyline and when it was just a Air filter and exhaust car I had my azz handed to me by a white turbo Galant. Of course then it was boost controller, cams and a tune to keep that from happening again. LOL

Wow, for only $25 difference to go to stainless and support a vendor, I think I'll give the Racetronix one a shot. Thanks!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

From what I found racetronix is cheaper. Oreillys wants 109.99

The Racetronix hangers are not the same as any other. They have redesigned lines, level sender and harness to support more flow and high power pumps. One must carefully read our web store info to appreciate the differences.

will a Deatschwerks DW300 pump fit on a Spectre Hanger, or any of Racetronix Hangers?

All GM hangers with teardrop mount (G7) are designed to take a 22mm center inlet pump such as the Walbro GSS294M, GSS340M, Racetronix RXP340M, Stealth 11140 or 19mm offset inlet pump such as the Walbro F20000169 or Racetronix RXP369 using their respective mounting grommets.

The DW pumps have 11mm offset inlets more common for import applications (the same as our RXP342 pumps). There is no grommet or filter sock specifically designed to install on these pumps for GM hangers so the fit will be less than ideal.

Please keep in mind that our RXP340M, AM Stealth 11140 and DW300 are pretty much the same pump made in the same factory. That being said it is hard to justify spending $169+ on a DW pump that is not an exact fit when our RXP340M is @ $100.00. An even better value is our hanger with RXP340M pump pre-installed. Unless your car runs in the bottom 10's, we recommend you stick with a Walbro 255LPH pump installed on a new hanger. Bigger is not always better because in some cases it creates excessive fuel pressure and other issues. All of our hanger options are shown in our sig below.

Last edited:
All GM hangers with teardrop mount (G7) are designed to take a 22mm center inlet pump such as the Walbro GSS294M, GSS340M, Racetronix RXP340M, Stealth 11140 or 19mm offset inlet pump such as the Walbro F20000169 or Racetronix RXP369 using their respective mounting grommets.

The DW pumps have 11mm offset inlets more common for import applications (the same as our RXP342 pumps). There is no grommet or filter sock specifically designed to install on these pumps for GM hangers so the fit will be less than ideal.

Please keep in mind that our RXP340M, AM Stealth 11140 and DW300 are pretty much the same pump made in the same factory. That being said it is hard to justify spending $169+ on a DW pump that is not an exact fit when our RXP340M is @ $100.00. An even better value is our hanger with RXP340M pump pre-installed. Unless your car runs in the bottom 10's, we recommend you stick with a Walbro 255LPH pump installed on a new hanger. Bigger is not always better because in some cases it creates excessive fuel pressure and other issues. All of our hanger options are shown in our sig below.

Thanks for explanation, will look at your sig.

Pete, the ACD is NOT a reboxed Spectra.. The ACD is ALL stainless and has a higher quality float and ceramic resistor. The mild steel Spectras will rust with E10 and above. I put an ACD in my 2000 mile 87 where it sat (my fault) and the gas went bad gumming the OEM pump. Fit and directions were great. As for what monster pumps will fit on it, I have no Idea. Sender and pump was from NOS4GN. I replaced fuel hoses while it was down. I built a support jig so with a 4 post lift you can safely drop the tank by inserting the support jig with the lift about a foot from max, then raise the lift to drop the tank. 30 years ago, my GM mechanic friend burnt down his garage, lost a body-off restoed 64 and friends 65 Vette when he was trying to drop a Vette tank without a lift and it tipped and spilled and ignited. Cars were unrecogniseable pile of melt. I don't mess around when working on fuel systems and don't want to do the job a second time to replace a bad sender.

The Racetronix part is probably the way to go. Hard to beat that price.

They are stainless too I think.

Nick has forgotten more than I know about Turbo Buicks, if he says Spectre units are good, I believe him.

Pete

The Racetronix part is probably the way to go. Hard to beat that price.
They are stainless too I think.
Nick has forgotten more than I know about Turbo Buicks, if he says Spectre units are good, I believe him.
Pete

Our hangers feature the following:
  • All stainless-steel construction
  • New-style 90 ohm ceramic level sender resistor (3)
  • Non-tapered pump outlet tube for maximum flow / performance.
  • Tubes have smoother radius bends for maximum flow / performance (1)
  • Dual 14-gauge circuits (vs. factory single 16-gauge ) for improved power handling and reliability (2)
  • Modular wiring harness allows for various wiring configurations / upgrades and simple repairs
  • Includes a new stainless-steel locking ring, OE-type tank gasket, rubber hose, hose clamps and, sound dampening pump sleeve
  • These hangers are made and tested at our facility
http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=FPS-G7&eq=&Tp=

The Spectra hangers are made with coated mild steel. The Spectra tubes are tapered and the wiring is undersized for HP pumps. They are designed as stock replacements not an upgrade.

FPS-G7f.jpg