New GN newbie

yamahamoon

Turbo Brick Newbie
Hi Folks,

My name is Bob Moon, and I am a turboholic.

We just recently picked up a 1987 GN with T-Tops, and are still workin on figuring out what we actually got. The car's a very nice driver, not a show car, and has definitely been modified, but we're not sure yet how far the previous owners took it.

We're looking forward to delving into the depths of turbo Buickdome, and learning more about these cars. We've built quite a few turbo cars in the past, but never a GN before. There's a first time for everything! :wink:

Cheers,

welcome,you have a good support group here with your addiction;)

welcome,you have a good support group here with your addiction;)

LOL! Many thanks! I grew up in a Ford family, and have branched out to turbo imports, so this GM stuff is all pretty new to me. :eek: We'll see where it leads! So far, I really like the GN.

At this point, I've discovered:
1. The trans doesn't like to shift under WOT until it winds out, which I'm learning is probably an issue with the governor or TV adjustment (haven't adjusted one of those since I had my ol' Caddy!) since it shifts fine under less than full throttle conditions,
2. The exhaust manifold on the passenger side has a nice crack in the expansion/flex section, so I get to take that off and weld it up,
3. The injectors are blue top units, and the chip has been upgraded at some point (gotta figure out how to burn these GM chips),
4. The wastegate bleed solenoid is locked shut, limiting boost to 12 PSI,
5. The water pump pulley is bent (already ordered up a new one),
6. The weatherstripping is completely shot (also already ordered replacements),
7. The suspension bushings are a bit rotten, but not horribly so,
8. The idle hunts when the car's cold, but not much when it's warm (probably a dirty IAC setup),
9. The brake setup will hold about 3 PSI before letting the tires lose grip. :cool:

All in all, not a bad starting point, I think. My goals are modest, as this is going to be a driver, and I'm not looking for 400 horses (yet). If the turbo needs to be rebuilt (suspect so, with 120,000 on it), I'll probably step up to GT internals, but won't go too much bigger on the unit itself. Other than that, and some boost control, I don't expect I'll do much more to the car. 300 horses would be plenty for this one, even though I know they're capable of oh so much more.

Worst case scenario; I'll learn a whole lot about how GM turbos work!

Cheers,

Welcome, If you get stuck on something, just ask :smile: There's lots of information and knowledge here.

:cool: Hello i am Littlt Teaspoon currently i have a T-Type '87 regal with as followed

• Te 45 A turbo with 60lbs injector 218/218 cam
  • transmission has a 3500 stall / suspenion work
  • car is ruby red with 17 rear nitto 16 front nitto
    i am trying to stay street legal but run 11.5 / if i need to thank you
    for reading more to come