You can type here any text you want

new GN owner questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboShifty

Bought my first GN last week and I love it. Just don't know much about em. I'm into the ls thing. But I'm keeping the gn v6 turbo.
Anyway, why isn't there a oil pressure gauge or a coolant temp gauge? And how hard would it be to install one.
If i turn the boost down do I have to mess with the ecm or fuel or anything?
Best shocks for a good ride?
Best sounding exhaust but not stupid loud?
Thanks in advance

What's your budget? You can spend a little or a lot. And it's good to make a friend who has one.

Post up in your signature any mods your car has and we can help you get things sorted out . If you haven't already, read all you can hear & Vortexbuicks .

Bought my first GN last week and I love it. Just don't know much about em. I'm into the ls thing. But I'm keeping the gn v6 turbo.
Anyway, why isn't there a oil pressure gauge or a coolant temp gauge? And how hard would it be to install one.
If i turn the boost down do I have to mess with the ecm or fuel or anything?
Best shocks for a good ride?
Best sounding exhaust but not stupid loud?
Thanks in advance

Your first question is 30 years late? It is not difficult to install them especially if you utilize a gauge holder made to fit under the radio pod.

Turning the boost down does not usually require any other adjustments.

The stock GN had gas shocks, for best ride go with Monroe Sensatrack or KYB shocks. Bilstein and other high end performance shocks will kill ride quality.

Best exhaust for the money, ~$400, is the Pypes stainless steel system available from Kirban Performance, and it is made in the USA! I have installed many and the owners were ALL satisified.

You will like the Pypes system....sounds perfect IMO. Kirbans has the water/oil pressure gauge cluster. I had a friend install mine. A scanmaster is worth its weight in gold (although it doesn't weigh much u get the idea). Check out other members sigs for ideas on mods you will need later. Good luck with your GN.

Thanks everyone. I just picked up the car last week.
Mods it currently has I'm not sure. I was told it's running 18 psi of boost with a bigger turbo and intercooler. Not sure as I don't know anything about these cars.
The rest of the car looks stock minus the radio which the car has no speakers so it doesn't play anything.
I do know it has a fuel mixture of 91 and 110 right now. Guy said that's required for the 18 psi of boost.
I want the car to handle good but it's more of a driver then a racer. My camaro is the track car.
I know how to install gauges, just wondering if they make kits for the water and oil gauges for these cars. It has a boost gauge under the radio but it's just sitting there, no mount or anything.

Welcome to the club! If you've never had a Turbo Buick and don't know anything about them, here are a few links that will be very helpful:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/new-owners-writeup-for-jm.255177/

These cars have very specific needs unlike any other so there is a learning curve. The above links will get you started on the right path. From there, you will undoubtedly come away with more questions and thats where this site will be invaluable using the search tab or posting.

Awesome thank you. There's alot of info there. I'm not making a race car. Yes I may run it and I will most definitely it on it for fun
I want the car to run for a long time and be reliable. I do have a budget right now but after I'm done building this camaro motor up the rest of my money will be focused on the GN.
There's alot of info there and some of it I have no idea what it means or what to do with lol.

Lots there to digest for sure. Take your time and ask questions here. Lots of great people here that willingly give their time and knowledge. Forgot to mention, whether you plan to race her or drive her like grandma, a scan tool of some sort is very highly recommended. It's so important I don't think you will find very many people on this board who doesn't have one, or will admit to not having one for fear of being lynched :). Kidding of course but you get the picture...

There are a couple of options to choose from but here is the basic model most here use http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/itemdesc.asp+ic+050SCAN2GN+eq++Tp+

I agree with everyone here. I didn't know anything about these cars before I bought mine. Thru the people here on this board, I've learned so much & got my car in way better running condition than it was before. Take your time. It will frustrate you at times, but you will have fun learning too. Also, utilize the "search" icon here for any questions you might have. Just input key words. There you will find a TON of threads where people have had the same issues or experiences and people who chimed in to help resolve them.

Welcome to the Fam!

Thank you everyone! I can't wait to get this car going and looking top notch. It has a boost gauge. Is there a way to know what the boost is set at? I was told it is at 18psi. I don't want it that high. It's more of a fun driver then a race car. Thanks

Back