New Guage pod and location

VtheGNMan

I got tired of fighting the adhesive tape on the gauge pod for the A Pillar so began searching around for a different looking gauge pod. I also wanted to add a tach to the car. There is lots of ideas and ways to mount gauges but I hadn't seen this one I came up with, so I thought I would share. I used an Auto Meter 3 pod universal mount with Carbon Fiber look. Sits very nicely on top of the dash and for me, doesn't obscure any vision out the windshield, but I am a little taller so that probably helps. I mounted the Knock Gauge, auto meter 2 1/8 tach and 30# boost gauge + alky turn on light in it. I love how they are all right in line of sight with the road. No more fighting the sticky tape on the A pillar and no more eyes leaving the road to look left at the gauge pillar.
Sure it doesn't fit a 5" monster tach and shift light, but not everyone wants/needs that. Wires snake up super easy behind instrument cluster and up through dash separation. Holds in place nicely.

Thought I'd share.

Attachments

• IMG_0490.JPG
    IMG_0490.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 973
  • IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 710
The pod has molded in screw holes/countersink pockets. Simple piece of aluminum bent as an L bracket that comes up between the 2 dash pieces.

I got tired of fighting the adhesive tape on the gauge pod for the A Pillar so began searching around for a different looking gauge pod. I also wanted to add a tach to the car. There is lots of ideas and ways to mount gauges but I hadn't seen this one I came up with, so I thought I would share. I used an Auto Meter 3 pod universal mount with Carbon Fiber look. Sits very nicely on top of the dash and for me, doesn't obscure any vision out the windshield, but I am a little taller so that probably helps. I mounted the Knock Gauge, auto meter 2 1/8 tach and 30# boost gauge + alky turn on light in it. I love how they are all right in line of sight with the road. No more fighting the sticky tape on the A pillar and no more eyes leaving the road to look left at the gauge pillar.
Sure it doesn't fit a 5" monster tach and shift light, but not everyone wants/needs that. Wires snake up super easy behind instrument cluster and up through dash separation. Holds in place nicely.

Thought I'd share.
Looks very good, genius thinking!

Thanks for your words of compliment. I enjoy seeing the different things guys do with their cars.
I did think about color matching but have a weakness for the carbon fiber look and had plans for more. I am in the process of wrapping my A-Pillars and headliner trim (in process of replacing my headliner so have them out) in Carbon too so it won't be the only thing with that look. Some of my trim pieces were not in that great of shape so I wanted to try this before just repainting them. What I have done looks really cool I think but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It does look cool. And I'm kinda a carbon freak also as you can see here.
image.jpg

I have a lot of parts covered in it

That is really cool. I am still learning with it and how to manipulate the carbon film with heat etc. When you get it right it looks amazing, otherwise you are tearing it back off. I have been struggling with the kick panel that hides the ECM. There are so many bends it's hard to get them to come out right and then there is the recessed box in the center- arg! I have consigned that I'll have to do it in 2 pieces with that recessed box being it's own piece.
I have kept it out of the engine bay so far but not sure for how long. I have a cast aluminum and red theme under the hood and have thought about getting the red carbon fiber for the engine bay pieces. I thing at a time.
How does yours hold up under the heat under the hood?

As you can see it still looks new and haven't had any issues with it, and it gets pretty hot on the radiator also.
As you can see I have it on the eye brow also. And I am going to do a bunch in the interior this winter.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Where are you getting your wrap at. I bought mine a Walmart but they don't have it anymore.?

That looks great! I got my wrap off the fleabay. I got 7' x 5' roll for like $30 shipped. Sellers name was projectcarbon. It is really durable stuff to heat and pull flat. I see items like windshield washer jugs wrapped in fiber too on there, I'm not that good yet by any means. With how much I am struggling to do the ECM holder/kick panel, I can't imagine a tank with rounded corners yet.
Seeing your engine bay and the under wiper eyebrow makes me want to do mine too. I might just have to get some red fiber coming. The project list for this winter keep growing. I have red detailing in my bay and just don't want it to overwhelm either. I stripped the doghouse and lettered the valve covers. I have added the radiator to fender braces since this picture and have them temporally coated in a cheap red spray paint to see if I liked them- which I do.

Attachments

• IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 304
All the tanks that I have seen have been dipped not wrapped so don't be so hard on yourself.
I thought about having my doghouse and valve covers dipped in red flaming skulls which looks cool but is a lot of money that I don't have right now.
If I can't find anymore wrap locally I will have to look him up. I defiantly will need more. Its funny I always see more and more to cover it never seems to stop.
Post your progress I would love to see it.

Thanks man! I sure like it much better, hopefully you will too. It just puts everything right in the line of sight and no more messing with keeping that pillar pod attached.

I have been working on a pod like this for a couple of yrs when I get free time...yours came out great. I thought I was the only person thinking along these lines...LOL. Well done !!

Bryan

Thanks Bryan! Really simple add on really. It was already carboned and was cheap. I wasnt sure how it would actually fit when I ordered it so I didnt want to spend a lot in case I didnt like it. I think the pod was like $15 delivered is all. I ll post pics of it with the carboned A Pillar when I finally get done. It really ties it together.

I had things apart and reworked the brackets for this gauge pod. Here are the pics. Still no holes in any dash pieces and it is snug and not moving anywhere. Here is what I did. I bent some small U shaped brackets and turned them sideways to more make a C but with square corners in the bracket. The top of the C gets screwed to the gauge pod and the C fits nice and tight around the hard grey upper dash piece that has the vents and speaker holes in it. Loosen up that panel, slide the C over the edge and then re-tighten down that panel. Hope that makes sense. Pics might help too. Everything gets pinched really tight and no way it is moving now.

Attachments

• 102_0477.JPG
    102_0477.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 371
  • 102_0478.JPG
    102_0478.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 353
He
Thanks Bryan! Really simple add on really. It was already carboned and was cheap. I wasnt sure how it would actually fit when I ordered it so I didnt want to spend a lot in case I didnt like it. I think the pod was like $15 delivered is all. I ll post pics of it with the carboned A Pillar when I finally get done. It really ties it together.
Hey, V, love the looks of that but I can't seem to find it, but then I'm fairly computer illiterate. I have found a bunch of stuff but most of it's $100+. Would you turn me on to a part number for that mount? Thanks!
Troy