New Guy Help

cdpinaz

I am not sure where to start....my head is spinning.

I just got my hands on the family jewel....87 GN 1 owner 90K (was a daily driver for 1st 10 years. Parked for the next 12 1/2

Due to economics, need to make a daily driver again for a year.

Have done all the necessary basics to drive again. However the car is not running as once did. Have had issues with stalling at lights, etc.

My basic questions are are related to how best diagnose issues?

What are basic issues that effect reliability?

Any thoughts from you guys that know these cars....

I'm also relatively new but if you want to learn, TurboBuRick and others have suggested the below listed link and it does provide a wealth of information. You will also receive a great deal of answers from the many experienced TR guys/girls here. They are a great source of information.

But I would suggest providing some background information on the car and obtaining a scantool (if the budget allows) so these folks have more information so they can better help you diagnose the problem(s). Here's the link:

Vortex Turbo Buick Performance

please give us the run down of what you have done.

So it sat for 12 years.

then what? what did you do?

how long have you been driving it now?

I'm also relatively new but if you want to learn, TurboBuRick and others have suggested the below listed link and it does provide a wealth of information. You will also receive a great deal of answers from the many experienced TR guys/girls here. They are a great source of information.

But I would suggest providing some background information on the car and obtaining a scantool (if the budget allows) so these folks have more information so they can better help you diagnose the problem(s). Here's the link:

Great link thanks....I will do some reading and looks like a scanmaster will go the "needs" list

please give us the run down of what you have done.

So it sat for 12 years.

then what? what did you do?

how long have you been driving it now?

During the "Parked years, the oil was changed from time to time and started every couple of months. When I pulled it out I hauled it to Nick at Arizona GN.

He did the following:
All fluids flushed from gas to brake fluid.
Replaced O2 Sensor
Replaced lock up solenoid in tranny

He scanned it and said everything looked pretty good. I am going to check with him on the above issue as well. But I posted this, because I would like to become better educated and not dependent on having nick on "Speed Dial".

Some additional items that probably need attention are the fuel filter and spark plugs...

Is the car's SES (engine) light coming on when it starts acting up? Scantool is a good idea & FYI the stock fuel pump is known to be notoriously marginal at best too.

Turbo Regal Web Site is a great source for info on these cars as well.

Just call or stop by nicks. He has a wealth of information and will share without hesitation.

+1 take it to nick, could be anything but im sure he will figure it out quick

my car used to stall when coming to a stop probably 2-3 times a month... years back that is! it stopped stalling after i replaced the stock chip with a turbotweak chip and put some new injectors in. hth