New guy, where to start?

kevin d

Hello folks,
I've never posted here before so I'm asking for your advice. I am new to the turbo Buicks and want to buy one in the future. Where do you recommend I start reading on this website so I can become better informed?
I am also looking to see if there are any events in the area that are recommended for me to attend. I live in the Low Country of SC.
My current toy is a 72 Chevelle.
TIA!
kevin d

Welcome to the site. It will be the most addictive decision you've ever made. I can't add anything to what JASJAMZ listed, those are the most informative sites available. Since you have already experience with another muscle car (I restored my 72 Monte Carlo)your learning curve will be quicker. Although, about the only similarity between your chevelle and a turbo car is they both have wheels :) My Buick vendor of choice is GBodyParts.com. Check out the kinds of parts available for these cars. Pretty much every part both stock and modified, are available. I have noticed they are more expensive than the chevelle/monte parts of the 70's.

I got my 1st GN (86) last november and joined the boards a few months that before to begin my education and search the for "sale section". It was extremely informative and helped me to keep from buying the 1st car I became excited about. You will get a good idea about price range based upon condition and modifications. I bought mine from a board member and would recommend the same.

One other helpful idea is to get some of the books on turbo buicks. Pete hoffman and Dennis Kirban have books that are must reads. Pete Hoffman's book on the turbo engine and Kirban's book on how to buy a turbo buick are essential. Both are available from gbody or Kirban Performance - Buick Grand National Parts, T-Type, Turbo T, GNX Parts, Chevrolet Chevy Corvette Parts, Ford Mustang Parts, Pontiac GTO Parts www.kirbanperformance.com

welcome to the board.....good stuff mentioned above and as mentioned these cars are extremely addictive......

Educating yourself on how these cars work is the best thing you can do before and even after you buy one. If you have plans to mod the car or keep it stock it help greatly either way to understand how to tune and maintain these things. They can be intimidating and seem overwhelming at first but be patient and learn about them they are actually very easy to diagnose and work on when its needed.

How about a pic of that Chevelle......I love old muscle my first car was a '68 Goat.....now I have my GN and a '69 Vette!

Welcome to the site. You can spend a lot of time reading and researching. Use the search and don't be afraid to ask questions. Lots of great people here.

Peter

Welcome, I at one time had a 71 chevelle. I liked it alot, but just wanted something a little more modern so I sold it and used the money to get my 87 GN. I also knew nothing about these cars and as gmmuscle said the only thing that are the same with your chevelle and a turbo car is they both have wheels. I have learned alot from reading and asking questions. I can tell you that the tuning on these cars are so important to building power and not having your car break with a bad tune. Lots of good venders here and people that know there stuff. I hope that you can get one without having to sell your chevelle like I did.

Otes.

Thanks for the replies! oddiesGN, I will have to sell the Chevelle to buy the Buick. Only room in the garage and wallet for one toy :)

Take someone with you who is very knowledgeable about our cars when you go check one out. They will probably go with you for the price of lunch and it could potentially save you thousands. Now's a good time to buy too. Some of these cars I see for sale are asking what the engine and turbo probably costs.

Thanks for the replies! oddiesGN, I will have to sell the Chevelle to buy the Buick. Only room in the garage and wallet for one toy :)

Once you get a turbo buick you will have lots of room in your wallet. I'm almost broke because of mine, but just keep spending. Your best bet is just keep reading about these, ask questions and find some one that knows about these cars to go with you when picking one out. Alot of fakes, hidden problems or just way to expensive for what they have. If you find one, just ask us if its a good deal before buying. Most everyone here can help you with what to or not to get. You need to figure out your goals and do it right the first time. I didn't have goals at first and didn't understand how these cars worked. I jumped all over the place when building mine, would have been easier to just do one thing at a time. I now have a better understanding on what to do so I'm now redoing it all over with different parts and now have fairly new old parts that I can't use any more that is worth half of what it was new. Oh well, I like doing things the hard way. Good luck with your search.

Otes.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be looking for something stock or close to it. I'm trying to avoid Frankenstein's Buick. :) I don't race so it would be a cruiser.
Any recommendations on where to find stock hp/tq ratings, differences in the models etc?
Thanks again,
kevin d

GNX
547 Produced
276 HP @ 4400 RPM
360 ft-lbs of torque at 3000 RPM

Grand National (WE2)
20,193 Produced
245 HP @ 4400 RPM
355 ft-lbs of torque at 2000 RPM

Turbo T (WE4)
1,547 Produced
245 HP @ 4400 RPM

Regal Limited w/ Turbo
1,035 Produced
245 HP @ 4400 RPM

Base Regal w/ Turbo
4,268 Produced
245 HP @ 4400 RPM

Total Turbo Cars = 27,590

Grand National
5,512 Produced
235 HP @ 4000 RPM
330 ft-lbs of torque at 2400 RPM

T-Type
1,921 Produced
235 HP @ 4000 RPM

WH1
463 Produced
235 HP @ 4000 RPM

LeSabre Grand National
112 Produced
140 HP @ 3600 RPM (Non-turbo 3.8L FWD)
240 ft-lbs of torque at 1600 RPM

Total Turbo Cars = 7,896

Thanks for the advice. I'll be looking for something stock or close to it. I'm trying to avoid Frankenstein's Buick. :) I don't race so it would be a cruiser.
Any recommendations on where to find stock hp/tq ratings, differences in the models etc?
Thanks again,
kevin d

Ill give you some really good advice. DONT BUY A STOCK GN!!!!!!!!!!!! Reason is, you'll be spending a ton of money to buy performance parts and by the time your done, you will be like me and have almost $60K in to your car (well maybe you wont take it that far!:biggrin:)! But you will want to upgrade. Dont think about the Barrett Jackson mentality when you buy one of these cars. I would suggest to buy one from a well known member that hhas a lot of good mods to it but still retains AC/Cruise/Stereo/etc. The price of a modded GN is always much less than thhe cost to build it. Your going to get a better deal this way. Not trying to act like I know it all but I have owned 20+ GNs and i see a trend in GN owners. Most sell their stockers after owning them for a while so they can have some fun. Or they mod their stockers and lose their A$$! These cars are valuable and hold their value but you have to be smart when it comes to purchasing one. Your buying a legendary GN becuas they are FAST!!!! Might as well buy a FAST one to start with and save yourself a lot of headache. Just my 2 pennies! -----Jeremy:cool:

Ill give you some really good advice. DONT BUY A STOCK GN!!!!!!!!!!!! Reason is, you'll be spending a ton of money to buy performance parts and by the time your done, you will be like me and have almost $60K in to your car (well maybe you wont take it that far!:biggrin:)! But you will want to upgrade. Dont think about the Barrett Jackson mentality when you buy one of these cars. I would suggest to buy one from a well known member that hhas a lot of good mods to it but still retains AC/Cruise/Stereo/etc. The price of a modded GN is always much less than thhe cost to build it. Your going to get a better deal this way. Not trying to act like I know it all but I have owned 20+ GNs and i see a trend in GN owners. Most sell their stockers after owning them for a while so they can have some fun. Or they mod their stockers and lose their A$$! These cars are valuable and hold their value but you have to be smart when it comes to purchasing one. Your buying a legendary GN becuas they are FAST!!!! Might as well buy a FAST one to start with and save yourself a lot of headache. Just my 2 pennies! -----Jeremy:cool:

I'm learning already :)