New guy with 87 GN needs replacement Turbo?

rawkroller

Hi,

I just traded a 80 Turbo Trans AM for a Really Nice 87 GN! The car runs and drives excellent yet needs a new turbo.

Im looking for a direct replacement with some added performance. Maybe a 66

Anyway I will be using the car for street and maybe a little strip. Im new to the Gn and was hoping for some sound advice on where to get a reputable replacement Turbo and what model is preferred?

Ill post pics and proper introduction this weekend.

Thanks

Hi,

I just traded a 80 Turbo Trans AM for a Really Nice 87 GN! The car runs and drives excellent yet needs a new turbo.

Im looking for a direct replacement with some added performance. Maybe a 66

Anyway I will be using the car for street and maybe a little strip. Im new to the Gn and was hoping for some sound advice on where to get a reputable replacement Turbo and what model is preferred?

Ill post pics and proper introduction this weekend.

Thanks
welcome! well you need to staqrt out posting your cars condition and if antthing was done to it ex. chip, fuel system, injector size, convertor ect. if its stock i would just go up a step or two like a ta49, te44 or a te60 and get a chip for eric at TurboTweak Home and an alky kit from http://alkycontrol.com/. along with the appropriate injectors and fuel pump if not already up to snuff

Scanmaster is a must also. Move slowly or learn how to replace head gaskets. These cars can and will drive you nuts and broke. Welcome aboard. Spend some time reading, there is a wealth of knowledge here.

You will not be happy if you throw a 66mm turbo on a stock car without a 3200 rpm stall and supporting mods. There are people making alot of power with a ta49 turbo (low elevens and maybe even a 10 ) Good luck

Bryan

turbo

Got what ATR says is the best upgrade turbo for the stock converter. $500 shpped to your door. 200 miles maybe just been used to move car around. Mike

I talked to Patrick at Precision Turbo and ordered a Turbo and actuator from them.

The TA 5857

I just took the car out for a gas run and did a little playing around even though my turbo bearings are bad. This car is very fast! I am a true believer in the GN already. I cant wait to get my new turbo and start using the car regularly!

Rawkroller will the ta5857 work with the stock D-5 converter or do you plan on swapping it out for a higher stall converter.Also what boost levels do you plan on running.Thanks,ikle.