You can type here any text you want

New heads, intake, and plenum.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V6POWER

I purchased a set of iron heads from Khai at KN Performance in Charlotte, NC. He matched the intake and removed the egr from the plenum and the intake. Heads have Comp 980 springs at 90# for my Erson 208 cam and 1.775/1.5 valves with five angle cut. Everything looks real nice. The flow numbers are:

Intake-
.1 63
.2 128
.3 177
.4 200
.5 210
.6 204
.7 207

Exhaust-
.1 45
.2 111
.3 143
.4 155
.5 158
.6 159
.7 161

Looks nice. The power from the heads will make driving the car so much fun.

Thanks. I hope to be able to run less boost now and make the same power.

Brian--Glad you like your heads. I am replacing a different set of mildly ported heads so I won't gain as much as replacing stock heads. I am real anxious to get the motor back together and get some track time. :D

KHAI KN Performance

Where is KN performance and do these boys specialize in Buick?

3500 Carolina Ave., #C
Charlotte, NC 28208

Khai owns a T-R and has done numerous sets of T-R heads. He also does other performance car and I believe motorcycle heads.

Where is KN performance and do these boys specialize in Buick?

Khai and I were partners in business until last year, when I decided to work out of my shop at the house. Khai still does heads out of his shop.

K.

Not sure if it's my imagination or not... but the intake and heads don't look port matched at all... :confused:
The ports in the heads look pretty nice though....

portmatch.jpg

Heads look great, but i think there is more to be done to the intake. Check the opening size on the intake ports of the heads and the intake ports of the manifold. Could be the pics, but they look different. The heads look bigger than the intake.

Torque "offset" or mismatch, like the torque tube headers? No worries on "reversion" from the mismatch?

Not knocking, just asking and learning so please don't take it the wrong way.

Were you going to share your secret ? or keep us guessing. :D

I have a possible answer to the secret. My answer is that the intake flows way more cfm at the stage of porting it has then the heads can flow and having it that way will definitely leave room for some variation on the install without having a restriciton at the head port opening. I recently worked on a car that had GN1's (unported) and a supposedly ported intake. Guess what the intake was stock untouched. The car was very strong with the stock untouched intake. Im under the assumption now that the stock intake with just a little cleanup around the port exit/injector boss nets 95% of the potential flow unless you modified the port and raised it. The way the port slopes down opening its limited on volume/size in that area. Couple pics of welded up raised runners on stock intake. This would probably cause a big misalignment with most stock ported heads.
Pictures1340.jpg

Pictures1341.jpg

Pictures1342.jpg

heads look great taked to a senior member said he loves khai's heads says they are the best bang for the buck and that all his friends cars run khai's heads as well with no problems

I have a possible answer to the secret. My answer is that the intake flows way more cfm at the stage of porting it has then the heads can flow and having it that way will definitely leave room for some variation on the install without having a restriciton at the head port opening. I recently worked on a car that had GN1's (unported) and a supposedly ported intake. Guess what the intake was stock untouched. The car was very strong with the stock untouched intake. Im under the assumption now that the stock intake with just a little cleanup around the port exit/injector boss nets 95% of the potential flow unless you modified the port and raised it. The way the port slopes down opening its limited on volume/size in that area. Couple pics of welded up raised runners on stock intake. This would probably cause a big misalignment with most stock ported heads.

You are right on the money...:biggrin:

You are right on the money...:biggrin:

I have mentioned this before and was told i'm crazy and didn't know anything about cyl head/ intake flow.

Those heads sure are purdy ! i have looked at them up close. very nice work

Khai

what type of flow bench do you use and do you flow the heads @ 28" of water

Those heads look great!

I have always wondered how much of a retriction the stock intake really was. My dads 86 has a bone stock upper and lower intake (62mm TB and i matched the plenum inlet) and it recently went 126 mph in the 1/4 with a PT61 turbo and 24 psi. I don't think a stock intake is a huge restriction anymore lol.

Back