New hotair intakes underway!

Here is a photo of the complete kit layed out.

You will notice the mandrel bent pipes are powdercoated black, I believe black will be the standard.

Included is the reinforced Nitrile tubing and enought T-bolt clamps to make all the connections, minus the turbo to pipe in the rear of the engine. As has been stated in a previous post, you will need to order one of these to fit your turbo outlet OD to our 2.5 pipe OD.

There is also a billet aluminim IAC relocation block, as well as intercooler bracketrs.

Obviously, the other parts in the photos are the modified intercooler, TB, intake and plenum.

abs.sized.jpg

There are more photos available in the gallery at www.JSmanufacturing.com

what was our final price with an intake core? I have a couple intakes if need them. I am looking to buy another 85 GN, and maybe do a conversion unless I can get an 86-87 for around the same price. I found an 85 GN with a mint body, t-tops car, 87 rims, motor just re-ringed and honed....looks sharp...May have a good deal here, but I wont buy it unless I can afford the IC kit!!!

Great work guys, seriously... Great work!!!

John

$575 for intake with minimal piping to make it hotair, ready for your own piping for a front mount, spearco, etc.

$1000 for all piping, conversion of IC, brackets, etc.

You supply core parts to be modified.

You will get YOUR intercooler, TB back and if you request due to porting etc, we will make sure you get the same intake back.

Otherwise we have 3 intakes here already in progress for intakes coming in the door.

So if we want it to be intercooled we have to buy a intercooler and send it out to you or do you supply the intercooler for us ?? $1000

You gotta source a stock 86 intercooler.

I do have a local guy I can refer you to, that does have several he would sell.

He actually has some plenum's if people need them also.

I found another local who has some intakes also.

If anybody is having trouble finding parts, I can send out those names/#'s.

Arrival

Guys - I received my intake / IC kit today. It is all set to be bolted on - the quality is excellent and it looks like it will flow enough air to feed a Pratt & Whitney. The kit arrived in a well packaged state and was very complete. Only thing I need is the transducer from Turbohoses.com for the turbo connection and a few bolts here and there. It also came with a big length of hose (cut to fit) for the pipe connections along with T-Bolt clamps.

Great job guys - thanks for all your hard work!

Only thing I plan to do before the install is gasket match the intake (to Fel-Pro 1200's) as my heads are already gasket matched. There was no hole drilled for the PCV and I havent decided if I really NEED to run one or not. I though I read something awhile ago about not running one....is not having one a bad thing or good thing ??

if anybody needs a t/b or upper plenum for this mod, i have a t/b and plenum for sale and just a plenum for sale as well

keith:D

Glad to see the kit arrived quicker than we expected with customs.

Let me know how it goes.

Re: Arrival

Originally posted by HOTSIX
Guys - I received my intake / IC kit today. It is all set to be bolted on - the quality is excellent and it looks like it will flow enough air to feed a Pratt & Whitney. The kit arrived in a well packaged state and was very complete. Only thing I need is the transducer from Turbohoses.com for the turbo connection and a few bolts here and there. It also came with a big length of hose (cut to fit) for the pipe connections along with T-Bolt clamps.

Great job guys - thanks for all your hard work!

Only thing I plan to do before the install is gasket match the intake (to Fel-Pro 1200's) as my heads are already gasket matched. There was no hole drilled for the PCV and I havent decided if I really NEED to run one or not. I though I read something awhile ago about not running one....is not having one a bad thing or good thing ??

Drill the hole while it's off and plug it later if you don't want it. Better to have the option in case you need it later on.

There was no hole drilled for the PCV and I havent decided if I really NEED to run one or not

Yeah, we meant to leave you a note in the box about the pcv. We drilled it in pretty much the stock location on ours, and it is a little tight clearance wise. Since we weren't sure about your choice for turbos, we figured it would be best to let you mock it up and find a good space for it.

As for not running a pcv, I think you could get away with itIF you run breathers in both valve covers. These engines are prone building case pressure.

UPDATE:

We are currently running production on a few kits, as well as a few other products, and are pretty well booked up until the first of the year. Those who have already ordered will still get their parts as promised, but we will not accept anymore parts till after the holidays. This is the only was we can make sure to get everyone's kits turned around in a decent time frame.

GOOD NEWS:

We are working on a kit right now for a TR owner who has some lofty goals and an impressive list of parts, so we may see a little bit more of what these kits can do. Current list of mods includes precision's full tilt hot air turbo upgrade, bigger cam, 50lber's and a few other nasty little secrets. (a racer's gotta keep and edge!)

I should think that by the end of January, we should here some pretty good reults from this particular customer....stay tuned for more info.

I know these are still new and fresh, but just wondered if you got some dyno results (i.e. stock vs. yours) yet? Very curious to see the gains....

Thanks!
Nathyn

still driving on 10psi right now.......the test car has become primary transportation at this point, and Jeff is afraid to turn up the wick.......snow+bicycle+commute=:(

We are also waiting on some new tires...these tend to get a little loose during rainy day driving.

We have thought about dynoing anyway, but its really pointless with less than stock boost.

Turbos

Does this new setup not allow us to use 87 style bigger turbos ?

With no inlet to intake in the way all we have is a silicone pipe connection to integrate a bigger turbo right ? Do the 87 style (TE62 etc) fit the turbo bracket or clearance under the hood ?

Whats the biggest turbo we could put on out cars now...a search revealed varied answers. Whats the biggest compressor wheel / turbine wheel that will fit in a stock housing ?

Just thinking out loud here.... anyone ?

We mocked up a 63 and with only slight tweaking it should fit.

We didn't hook up every hose, line, etc.

I have a stock 87 turbo on my car, fits perfect. The production intakes actually have more clearance than my prototype which btw has about 5k trouble free miles so far to date.

And as of tomorrow it won't be the daily driver. This could be bad guys.

The only thing you should need to use an 87 style larger turbo is the right silicone hose connector. We used one of brackets off a stock 84 turbo to mount the 87 unit(the studded center section piece that mounts the turbo to the engine.) And there are no hood clearance issues. If you use the stock style wastegate, and clock the turbo back a little, you may need to move the wastegate a bit for hood clearance, but the issue should take only 10 minutes or so to address/correct.

I believe the PTE upgrade is to machine the stock housing to use 62mm wheels, which makes for a healthy turbo This seems to be the easiest way to go, but as I said, we are using a stock 87 unit, so any of the aftermarket bolt ons should work well. That being said, those of you trying turbos from a John Deere combine:confused: , I cannot say wether or not fitment will be an issue.

The t63E we used in mock up was a bolt on, once we clocked the compressor housing back a bit to allow for clearance of the brass vacuum nipple. Our goal was a simple bolt on kit, and I think we have made it universal enought that minor clocking of the turbo will allow use of most any 87 syle bolt on unit.

Hopefully as more people try this kit with their combo we will get more inforamtion on exotic fitments.

Turbo

Typhoon - what do you meanits not gonna be your daily driver anymore ? This could be bad - why ?

National84 - are you referring to the stock style wastegate on an 87 style turbo ? Im thinking if I decide to upgrade I may buy a larger turbo - I have 36 lb blue top injectors so that should suffice my fuel requirements.....

Wasnt the problem with fitting the 87 style turbos the wastegate ? Or is it the size of the turbo itself....

I have a 33 for now but after I install the kit I may get hungry for a new turbo.....

The other half got herself a car a little better on gas today, so I got the 95 tahoe now at my disposal.

Thing runs so well, I can't sell it plus might make a good tow vehicle.

The buick is actually running really well on the intake.

Buick will still get driven, just maybe not on this 18 deg days. :D

Buick will still get driven, just maybe not on this 18 deg days.

What homo...I drove it last night, and it was a blast even though it was cold as hell.

DONUTS ARE COOL:D

The wastegate issue was that when we clocked the turbo back a few degrees (stock and 86) the stock wastegate was too close to the hood insulator for our taste, so we unbolted it, drilled the wastegate bracket in another spot and moved it forward a little, that stock wg actuator is just big, and located poorly for good hood clearance.

The no longer daily driver thing is good, it means hes not afraid to break it cause he has a way to work, we may actually get to the dyno by the first of the year if I push him.

The 33 is a good turbo imho, but there is enough room for larger, and the intake will allow the flow, so if you want to go bigger, I highly recommend it, but remember, you have increased airflow now, and a lean condition will result without increase in fuel....its not a restrictive hotair intake anymore.