You can type here any text you want

New MAF Pipe and saw oil in turbo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gidyuppp

I replaced my MAF pipe and MAF (stock) today with a powdercoated black pipe and saw a ring of oil in the turbo where it connects to the MAF pipe. I am assuming this is a problem? The car blows smoke only at certain times, for the last 100 miles nothing but today smoke when coming to a stop at idle. Smoke is white and smells like burning oil. I do not have any leaks visible in the drive way. I do have a 27k mile stock turbo to replace this turbo that has 73K miles. Is it time to replace it? I have read this site about play in and out and side to side and there was not much, if any, but this oil issue and smoke issue has to be a turbo issue. I do have a new 93 octane TT chip, if I install this would that help? I have a cracked DS header, could this contribute to the issue (I have a repaired one to replace this). Thanks

Do you have the stock breather pipe that goes from passenger side valve cover into the turbo inlet? That can be the source of your oil. Not sure about the smoke however.

hello people; Just a point of interest. Ck.the ID of the powder coated MAF pipe. Usually the coating is partially in there also. After time it will loosen up and could cause problems. I scraped the ID coating off and used some scotch bright and sandpaper to smooth it out.
IBBY

I replaced my MAF pipe and MAF (stock) today with a powdercoated black pipe and saw a ring of oil in the turbo where it connects to the MAF pipe. I am assuming this is a problem? The car blows smoke only at certain times, for the last 100 miles nothing but today smoke when coming to a stop at idle. Smoke is white and smells like burning oil. I do not have any leaks visible in the drive way. I do have a 27k mile stock turbo to replace this turbo that has 73K miles. Is it time to replace it? I have read this site about play in and out and side to side and there was not much, if any, but this oil issue and smoke issue has to be a turbo issue. I do have a new 93 octane TT chip, if I install this would that help? I have a cracked DS header, could this contribute to the issue (I have a repaired one to replace this). Thanks

Well, if it is the stock turbo, the seals could very well be going out. Does it smoke when you get into boost? If you already have a known good turbo, TT chip (if it is burned for that turbo) and a header to replace the cracked one, there is no question. Grab a Coke, warm up the garage and in 2 or three hours you should have a much better running car.

Oh, and if you do have the stock breather from the valve cover to the turbo, and haven't cleaned the intercooler, make sure you do that because there will be a ton of oil in it.

Thanks for the help. The car did not smoke during boost. I could not see anything during boost and I had my kid hang his head out the window. The smoke is visible only when slowing the car down at a stop. Just got done driving it and of course no smoke today. Now I am def new to these and I have been reading a lot while it was gone for 4 months, so I adjusted the external waste gate to adjust the boost (at least that is what I think I was doing :)) I took it out again and got a little better feel out of the car. I will mess with it tomorrow afternoon (60's in Michigan in November, loving it) and see if it smokes again.

Thanks for the help. The car did not smoke during boost. I could not see anything during boost and I had my kid hang his head out the window. The smoke is visible only when slowing the car down at a stop. Just got done driving it and of course no smoke today. Now I am def new to these and I have been reading a lot while it was gone for 4 months, so I adjusted the external waste gate to adjust the boost (at least that is what I think I was doing :)) I took it out again and got a little better feel out of the car. I will mess with it tomorrow afternoon (60's in Michigan in November, loving it) and see if it smokes again.

If you are changing boost levels please make sure you know what you are doing. You must have a boost gauge, not the stock one on the dash. It is not accurate. Shortening the rod raises boost, about 1 turn for 1 pound. DO NOT GO OVER 15LBS OF BOOST IF YOU ARE ON PUMP GAS! Or you will be asking for the procedure for changing head gaskets:mad:

So, do you have the stock breather set up from the valve cover to the turbo??

No I do not have the breather set up from the valve to turbo. Before it gets could I am considering replacing the turbo I have with a 27k mile stock turbo I picked up and I have a couple questions. This car came from an auction so I did not meet the owner. The auction house said it was a stock turbo, however, the turbo I have purchased as a stock turbo look different. The three pics I have attached are what is on the car now. It is stamped Garrett but has a shinny surface versus a dull surface. My newly purchased stock has a ported short pipe/tube coming out where the MAF pipe attached and the one on the car does not have one. 2 questions what is that Pipe/tube coming from tha MAF end and where does is go/connect. Another question would be, can anyone tell by the 3 pics what turbo is in this car. I have a hard time believing it is stock unless I purchased an 87 stock and this was the 86 but still....thanks for the help

turbo1.jpg

turbo2.jpg

Turbo3.jpg

turbo4.jpg

Well, I am no expert on turbos, but, I will see if I can help you a little bit. I believe, if it is not a bolt on bell, like the forth pic shows it is not stock. I cannot see the front of the bell. If it is bolt on, then, maybe the turbo was polished by the previous owner. Post this question in the turbo section and maybe you will get a better answer than mine. I have not seen that port on the last pic on a stock turbo.

Back