New member from Australia

aussie455

Hi. My name's Peter. I'm from Ferntree Gully, Victoria, Australia. I've been a fan of the 87 Grand National ever since I heard about them in about 2001. I've always wanted one but no one has them here. I've only seen an 86 at an American car show a few years ago. I could never justify importing one either because of our road laws which state that any car under 30 years old has to be converted to right hand drive which is why I bought a 1970 GS in 2006.

Well recently the law has been changed to under 25 years old making the 87 GN eligible to remain left hand drive. So I'd like to start looking for one but don't know the best places to look. I only know of this forum Turbobuicks.com and ebay. Where else can I look. I'd also prefer to get one located as close to the west coast as possible to avoid having to pay for shipping across your marvelous country. Any pointers?

Welcome to the site! There are usually several turbo regals on the west coast for sale, just look in the marketplace....good luck.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

We actually have a few members from across the pond, but there's very few GN's over there. There are a few but very few. Hope you can find what you're looking for and have some fun with it.;)

Peter,
Welcome to the site. I'd recommend buying a good running car, from a reputable seller like Kirban's Performance, or Turbo Lou. Lou is on the West Coast and has built or checked out many Buicks for people. How much are you wanting to spend on the car in US dollars? How fast, or how much horse power are you wanting in this car? Take your time. The first thing to do is learn about these cars. Here's a good place to start.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/
Since you're not going to find anyone who is familiar tuning these down under, you'll want to have a fair working knowledge yourself.
When you need parts from the US, just send us cases of VB beer and we'll get you what you need.;)

Let us know if you have any questions.

Mike Barnard

Lol. Thanks heaps Mike and everyone else. Unfortunately I don't have a big budget. I might be able to rustle up about $12,000 AUD. I have to sell my WRX first and hopefully I get a couple of grand from my tax return. And hopefully by then your dollar will have gone south and hopefully be on par with ours. At the moment my budget will be about 8 - 10 grand USD depending on the how much I get for my car, how much I get from my tax return, value of the aussie dollar and shipping costs. Especially shipping costs. If I can get one in California that could save me over $1500 USD.

Where can I go to find out what was standard equipment and what was an option on the GN? Was LSD an option?

And I'll send you some real beer ;)