You can type here any text you want

new motor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

petersonm

ok so I got 300 on the clicker here! (Break in) all is good how many miles should I give this baby before getting into it more than 5 psi?

This is my break-in proceedure:

Start it up, and run for 20 minutes at 1800 rpm. If there is any issues, shut it off and solve. Then start over if there was any issues. (leaks, valve adjustment, ect.) and after the 20min./1800 rpm session, drain oil, and remove filter and cut it open and look for copious amounts of debris. (there WILL be some debris) Then add oil, and new filter, start the car and let it warm up, then place the car in gear (in a safe area), step HARD on the brake pedal, and slowly bring the RPM up and stall the converter up to about 4-5 psi boost, and then SLAM the throttle open and let the boost spike to where ever it goes to. This will seat the rings and you are now ready to race the car. There is NO reason to baby a new engine. If your machinst, and assembler did the right job, the only metal to metal contact is the piston rings, valve to guides, piston to wall, and cam/lifter interface. The only thing that needs break-in is piston rings. By loading the engine against the converter, under boost, you are effectively forcing the rings against the cylinder wall, causing rapid ring seating. At this point, (300 miles) your car is WAY over due to go to full power. Don't hold back. Drive it like you stole it. If a problem exists, it is due to poor machining, a mistake in assembly, or a failed part. Either of which will never go away by babying it for 2,000 miles.

Back