New Timing Gears and Chain BUT....

S

speedy1320

I am bummed on this one! I had my local garage put on a Poston Double Roller timing chain and gears {replcaing the Factory Plastic job} And had him replace the water pump, thermostat, serperntine belt and All hoses....even rebuilt the oil pump

My problem is....I pick it up tonight.....and I LOST Horsepower!!!

The poston gear has 3 possible settings, 0, advance, and retard.......he set it a 0 since that's where the factory gear was!

{He set the cam sensor to "2" volts....as called for}

In addition, Get This......the car SHIFTS REAL Quick up to Over Drive....... I mean....like at 40 mph,....which SUcks! I'm thinking maybe TV Cable, computer issue.......??????

Any ideas guys?

Thanks!

Tom:confused:

Tho it has nothing to do with the timing gear and chain replacement, when you describe the car shifting rite into 4th gear, the torque convertor clutch solenoid sounds like its sticking in the apply position (clutch lock-up) causing the trans to basicaly "short shift" Does the cars seem to shudder when comming to a stop, then smooth out rite before you come to a complete stop?
The TCC solenoid does seem to want to play games at the weirdest times, even tho no repair was done anywhere near it. :eek: Mark

I want to say yes, the car did shudder coming to a stop. The car starts in first gear, goes to a quick 2nd,3rd, then Boom...In OD

Why the heck would this become problematic all of the sudden? It HAS to be related to the fact that the car was worked on...

Where is this solenide? Can it be tested?

Thanks!

Tom

Sounds like Mark has found the problem. Speedy, don't be so fast to blame the mechanic. A timing chain has nothing to do with a stuck TCC solenoid (if it turns out that is it.)

The solenoid is accessed by removing the transmission pan.

One test you might try is, while the car is still cold, unplug the four-wire connector from the transmission and go for a test drive.

If the strange shifting goes away, you most likely have an ornery TCC solenoid that'll need replacing. Highly common problem.