Newb from colorado

jene

Heavy Metal Racing
Sorry guys, if this is the wrong spot. I am a noob from Colorado, a mother of 2. I am researching Regals. I do not know much about them and want to learn all my options and what would be best for me. I Drag Race at Bandimere Speedway. I have been in love with Regals Forever! My first car was an 84 Regal and I loved it.
I have searched and I have read up on some things, but am still not clear on a few.

What I am wanting... a 80's Buick Regal. I My elevation is 5800 Ft.. so for example a 13 here would be a 12 seal level. My first goal with this car would be to get it into the 13's here. In your opinion, what would be the best engine choice to do this and for the least amount of money.What i need is a streetable car, a reliable car at the track and as consistant as I can get it.And also pump gas. I see the 3.8's and the 3.8's turbo... What about a small block chevy? Or do you guys think a 3.8 or 3.8 turbo would be my best bet...

My initial though was to do a v6 to v8 swap, would that be something easy to do? I am just looking for opinions, so i know what I want to do when I find the right Regal.

Sorry for the dumb questions!! and Thanks a bunch!!

jene

Sorry guys, if this is the wrong spot. I am a noob from Colorado, a mother of 2. I am researching Regals. I do not know much about them and want to learn all my options and what would be best for me. I Drag Race at Bandimere Speedway. I have been in love with Regals Forever! My first car was an 84 Regal and I loved it.
I have searched and I have read up on some things, but am still not clear on a few.

What I am wanting... a 80's Buick Regal. I My elevation is 5800 Ft.. so for example a 13 here would be a 12 seal level. My first goal with this car would be to get it into the 13's here. In your opinion, what would be the best engine choice to do this and for the least amount of money.What i need is a streetable car, a reliable car at the track and as consistant as I can get it.And also pump gas. I see the 3.8's and the 3.8's turbo... What about a small block chevy? Or do you guys think a 3.8 or 3.8 turbo would be my best bet...

My initial though was to do a v6 to v8 swap, would that be something easy to do? I am just looking for opinions, so i know what I want to do when I find the right Regal.

Sorry for the dumb questions!! and Thanks a bunch!!

jene

These Turbo Regals are great cars but there are not cheap $$$$$-pit. I would not recommend one as a daily driver it will be stolen in no time. The 86-87 are the best year do a search on Buick Grand National,Turbo Regal, T-Type and see what you come up with. Swapping to a V8 as you will find out would be the dumbest thing you could do. If you want a beater for $8k then you will put $15k into it. Buy one that's done for $25k look in the cars for sale section on this board.

regal

I guess I was not clear. This would not be a daily driver. I have one of those. This would be a nice project car I would run at the track. It needs to be streetable because I would drive it to the track and home. Not on a trailer. It would be in the garage, unless I was racing it. I need a consistant bracket car.

I have found alot of Turbo T types here locally, as well as regular regals for 1000 and under. And they actually are in good running condition and clean straight bodies. I ofcourse would be rebuilding what ever it has in it or swaping something into it. This is ment to be somewhat of a project car, because I love to work on cars.So I would want to buy a builder, not one that is already finished.

I am trying to research and get answers on the engines, so I can decided if I should stick with a 3.8 or 3.8 T or move on to a small black or big block. I will keep searching...

I guess I was not clear. This would not be a daily driver. I have one of those. This would be a nice project car I would run at the track. It needs to be streetable because I would drive it to the track and home. Not on a trailer. It would be in the garage, unless I was racing it. I need a consistant bracket car.

I have found alot of Turbo T types here locally, as well as regular regals for 1000 and under. And they actually are in good running condition and clean straight bodies. I of course would be rebuilding what ever it has in it or swaping something into it. This is ment to be somewhat of a project car, because I love to work on cars.So I would want to buy a builder, not one that is already finished.

I am trying to research and get answers on the engines, so I can decided if I should stick with a 3.8 or 3.8 T or move on to a small black or big block. I will keep searching...

Ok first off these cars are not consistent bracket cars. The cooler the weather the more power they make. These TR's aka "Turbo Regals" are not your average regal for a $1k they look like one but everything about them is different, the suspension, trans, wiring harness, rear end, the only thing that's the same is the body, lights, and frame. The 109 cast block which is the factory stock 86-87 Turbo block can run 10's all day long on and off the track while still getting 20mpg on the street "with the right combination that is" and that's only after you put $20k in to it! :redface: Trans $3k turbo $1,500, Intercooler $1k, etc. etc. Don't buy a beater by a clean one parts are too rare and expensive to build one.

Check out this link GSXR F
and this one cal renolds

car

I have seen a few consistent regal bracket cars. I think anything can be made consistent. I have seen alot of various consistent cars. New, old, classic... I have a friend who has an 84 monte carlo runs a consistent 10.06 all day long. A friends 71 Impala runs 13.9's all day and his other impala runs 11.5's all day or with in a tenth or 2...if that. IM pretty sure you can make anything consistent if built right. :)

On another note.. here is one I was looking at... just to give you an idea of where I wanted to start.

This one was 900 bucks.. ran fine.. needed alittle tlc, tune up and such. Although I would have rebuilt everything and the tune up was not an issue with me.. these are the cars I am finding here for a grand or less..

Clipboard015.jpg

I know it is going to take money.. thats not the issue.

Check out this link GSXR F
and this one cal renolds

Wow.. haha.. That second one is cool!! See right now I am not looking to pop wheelie (or have that much hp) Or be fast enough to need a parachute. I am looking for 13's... Which in some cases from what I understand i can do with headers, cam, exhaust, and some gearing. If I got a sb or bb route. My point is will it be easier to do with the 3.8?? This doesnt have to be a fancy show car or a wicked fast car. A respectable 13 second car is all that I can drive to the track and home and have some fun in without having to worry about breaking something at the track all the time.:biggrin:

I live down the road from you in Colorado Springs. You may be able to find regular N/A Regals around here for $1000 or less, but you will never find a Turbo Regal for that amount of money unless the car doesnt run or the person has no idea what they have. As for running consistent up here these turbo cars like the colder weather. I can go to Bandi in my basically stock 85 Turbo Regal and if its a nice cool night and I can catch traction then I can run low 15's, If its warmer out then the car doesn run as good and I run in the high 15's or worse.

There are several 86/87 3.8 Turbo GN's that dont have much more that upgraded chips, exhaust, fuel system , and drag radials that will run in the 13's up at Bandi.

The reason I say they are not consistent is its a "Turbo Car" they run harder in cooler weather then in hot weather. The car in the pic for $900 bucks would be the biggest waste of money IMO :redface:. With an 86-87 Turbo regal they are easy to work on and with a chip, exhaust, and alcohol injection your in the low 13's no problem just turn up the boost. ;) With out getting into the motor your 11's all day long with bolt on's and it's worth something if you ever sold it. The best part it's quiet because it's a lil V6 and great gas mileage and also not to mention a crowd favorite. ;)

I live down the road from you in Colorado Springs. You may be able to find regular N/A Regals around here for $1000 or less, but you will never find a Turbo Regal for that amount of money unless the car doesnt run or the person has no idea what they have. As for running consistent up here these turbo cars like the colder weather. I can go to Bandi in my basically stock 85 Turbo Regal and if its a nice cool night and I can catch traction then I can run low 15's, If its warmer out then the car doesn run as good and I run in the high 15's or worse.

I think I forgot to post it.. The one pictured above is a 83 Turbo T-Type. for 900.. it was a steal of a deal for sure!!

I am ok with getting a plain regal.. I will build it. I am not necesarily looking for a Turbo one at all. Just a good builder. Thats what I am saying.. More then likely it will be just a 3.8. Can I make the plain 3.8 got 13's with some mods or would i be better off throwing in a sb or bb.

if i am lucky enough to find another turbo Ttype or something like that.. i would prbably stick with that and build it. I am just looking at all my options..

The reason I say they are not consistent is its a "Turbo Car" they run harder in cooler weather then in hot weather. The car in the pic for $900 bucks would be the biggest waste of money IMO :redface:. With an 86-87 Turbo regal they are easy to work on and with a chip, exhaust, and alcohol injection your in the low 13's no problem just turn up the boost. ;) With out getting into the motor your 11's all day long with bolt on's and it's worth something if you ever sold it. The best part it's quiet because it's a lil V6 and great gas mileage and also not to mention a crowd favorite. ;)

Yeah i was going to come back and say that.. "turbo cars" are not always consistent. I personally would prefer a non turbo car. I like being all motor. Although you can bet if I come across a turbo one for the right price.. I would not pass it up. Thanks for that info.. Now I am more clear on my options depending on which regal I get. I may end up with a Cutlass.

First off,what do you want to spend on a car? Your looking at a roller for 900 bucks, then in the next breath you say money isn't an option. If you get too low on the price (even if it does run), you could end up with a rust bucket. If you want a v-8 just get a monte or just find a really good clean Buick regal.

There is a world of difference between a turbo and a non turbo car. The main thing you need to figure out what to do is if you want to go forced induction or N/A. No matter what you get, your going to dump money in it. HTH

I know I am going to dump money into it. I dont remember saying money is not an option.. I remember saying this.. "I know it is going to take money.. thats not the issue." I want to avoid spending 20 grand on a 13 second car is my point. If I am going to spend 20 grand it is going to be on a 10 second or quicker car.

I would like to keep it as low priced as I can.. I think everyone likes to find good deals on cars and parts.

And I would fully check over any car before I bought it to make sure its not a rust bucket. I do drag race. I have worked in the automotive industry for years. Have been around cars my whole life. So I know to check a car fully and make sure I am getting something decent. I am not totally dumb about cars.. I just am a noob with regals and cutlass's. I am learning.

Heck I took a crappy car and turned it to an ok car!! I took a freakin Corsica and took it from a mid 18 second car (hahha i know slow and at 5800ft) into a mid to low 16 second car, low 15's at sea level. Made it look decent and have gained it respect at the track. Dont get me wrong.. it still is slow and I know that... But i got it done. I put about 1200 bucks in that car and made it what it is. And if I were to sell it now. I would get my 1200 back out of it.

Now I know this regal will cost me a lot more then 1200 bucks.. and I know my corsica no where compares to a regal.. but if just goes to show you I am not a totally dummy.

I know I am going to dump money into it. I dont remember saying money is not an option.. I remember saying this.. "I know it is going to take money.. thats not the issue." I want to avoid spending 20 grand on a 13 second car is my point. If I am going to spend 20 grand it is going to be on a 10 second or quicker car.

I would like to keep it as low priced as I can.. I think everyone likes to find good deals on cars and parts.

Sorry to misquote you. I agree with you, everyone likes good deals. More or less I was trying to figure out what you wanted.

If you look under the "Cars for Sale" section you can find many things for under 20k that are fast. Hey if you want to go mid 9's for 25K you can find that under there too.

The main thing you need to decide is N/A or forced induction. I know you said N/A, so take it and run with it. Get the car for 900 bucks, buy an engine , trans and rear end, and if built right you should be where you want to be for 15k ish.

Sorry to misquote you. I agree with you, everyone likes good deals. More or less I was trying to figure out what you wanted.

If you look under the "Cars for Sale" section you can find many things for under 20k that are fast. Hey if you want to go mid 9's for 25K you can find that under there too.

The main thing you need to decide is N/A or forced induction. I know you said N/A, so take it and run with it. Get the car for 900 bucks, buy an engine , trans and rear end, and if built right you should be where you want to be for 15k ish.

Sweet!!! In a long about why.. You guys gave me the info I needed!! Thanks!! I think I can get it done for about 5 grand actually. But I got people. Lol

Well 5 grand engine alone I mean.

I would prefer non turbo.. just because I have never delt with them and know things can be done with out them.. But I would nto turn one down, thats for sure. Now I know where I need to go with this project depending on what I get! I am excited!!:biggrin:

on another note.

this is how the Corsica Started..3100 sfi blown head gasket... torn up exhaust and interior... trashed car.18.3 to 18.5

9-16-2005-13-1.jpg

9-16-2005-09.jpg

9-16-2005-14-1.jpg

into this...16.6 average depending on weathor 3400 sfi, maganflow exhaust full and some other mods...

l_98aa1fd09cd724a244ec4d3165be8f63.jpg

DSC05772.jpg

119691766141220.gif

I think its time for me to move up to something worth it.. ;)

I have seen a few consistent regal bracket cars. I think anything can be made consistent. I have seen alot of various consistent cars. New, old, classic... I have a friend who has an 84 monte carlo runs a consistent 10.06 all day long. A friends 71 Impala runs 13.9's all day and his other impala runs 11.5's all day or with in a tenth or 2...if that. IM pretty sure you can make anything consistent if built right. :)

Yeah, but they are not turbo charged.. these cars (GN's and T-types) are NOT bracket racing cars.. a NOS feed big block is a bracket car..

Thats why I was asking about swaping in a bb or sb.. But I would never use NOS. All Motor. NOS can be unconsistent too.;)

i'll selll you mine, and at your 5900ft she will still run 9.80's or better.. it ran 9.80 flat in Vegas in 107* weather at 5500ft DA..

like everyone stated, purchase one that is finished.. it will be WAY cheaper in the long run... turst us LOL..

Thats why I was asking about swaping in a bb or sb.. But I would never use NOS. All Motor. NOS can be unconsistent too.;)

how can a NOS car be unconsistent??? 125 shot is a 125 shot.. while a boosted car runs different times in the AM or PM due to the temps outside...

No I trust you.. But like i said.. I would much rather have a project car/ builder. I love cars and love to work on them!I would be more proud of a car I personally built then one that was already finshed and done by someone else.

I don't want to get into a debate on buying already done vs. a project car. I know I want a project car. I am hear to read up and learn. And hopefully get my dumb questions answered...:wink:

And Im not going to get in a NOS debate... I wont use NOS. Especially for a 13 second bracket car. I have seen so many NOS cars that are not consistent. I have also seen cars blow their engine on NOS as well as other things... I would much rather not have NOS and not deal with those issues. then have NOS and have something come up or go wrong during a run or between rounds...

Any non boosted car can run differently too thru the day due to weather and such.. the DA and humidity..ect.

Your car here would run a mid to hig 10.. if not a low 11 here because our DA hardle ever falls below 8000 ft... Not on race last season did the DA get to the 5800ft.. the lowest was a 6700ft... You car would be a 10 second car here.. which is still awesome!!