Newbie-2001 GTP with lifter noise plus more.

Hey guys
2001 GTP it started making a very loud ticking-tapping sound that sounds like the lifters
the noise goes on for a while then the engine starts to shake and the "service engine light comes on"
after some more time the noise goes away the engine stops shaking, the light turns off and it runs great.
HELP
BTW the car has 102K
thanks
David

David,

Whats the SES light on for? The code?

Could be the knock sensor going off...

I KNOW nothing about these cars
I should have shoved the Regal down her throat:mad:
anyway
I guess its time for me to buy a OBD2 Tool and start getting some info on it.
But what has me not so happy is the Noise I mean yesterday NO noise and today a whole lot of noise I mean a lot.

Look under the oil fill cap for white sludge-like stuff. If it's there, the intake gasket is probably leaking coolant into the engine and diluting your oil. Saw it happen quite a few times, the plastic gasket falls apart over time. Probably letting a lifter collapse and setting a misfire code, when you scan it look for a P0300 or P0301 through P0306.

Look under the oil fill cap for white sludge-like stuff. If it's there, the intake gasket is probably leaking coolant into the engine and diluting your oil. Saw it happen quite a few times, the plastic gasket falls apart over time. Probably letting a lifter collapse and setting a misfire code, when you scan it look for a P0300 or P0301 through P0306.

a little bit i'll post the picture tonight.:mad:

Sounds very likely...

Do you have low coolant? These cars are notroious for cracked intake manifolds(N/A versions even more)...

OK did the oil and filter (ACdelco) change and the lifter noise is gone the oil looked clean but almost as thing as water.

How would the computer know that #5 is miss firing?
The problem must be a bad coil?

BTW after the oil change I drove it for about 30 minutes and no miss firing no noise, no "service engine" light and it felt very strong again.
There is no way an oil change fixed all this ship.:confused: :confused:

Dex-Cool mixes very well with oil, if it's in there a while. The computer can tell which cylinder is misfiring from an algorithm in the code, it's not necessarily a bad coil. See if the cooling system holds pressure with a pressure tester when cold. The lower intake gaskets are a common failure on the 3800 supercharged engines.

I put about 30 hard miles on it late last night and No noise or service light and it felt good
But
about 30 minutes ago I checked the oil then I turned it on and after about 10 minutes it started the Fng lifter noise it lasted about 3-4 minutes I revd it to 2000 RPM a few times then it went away.

Dex-Cool mixes very well with oil, if it's in there a while. The computer can tell which cylinder is misfiring from an algorithm in the code, it's not necessarily a bad coil. See if the cooling system holds pressure with a pressure tester when cold. The lower intake gaskets are a common failure on the 3800 supercharged engines.

Does this hold true on ALL yrs 3800 superchrged engs (the intake gaskts),or seem to run on certain yrs only.I`m asking this cause I`m thinkin bout looking to buy one---would help here if I had some heads-up on this before I go looking----thanks,,Jack

I've primarily seen it on 97-00 cars, over 100k miles. The NA ones also melt the plastic intake manifolds.

there no way it could be the couplers right?? green things in the supercharger nose? i have some old ones engine ran like crap (high miles) thought it was the lifters but i changed out the couplers and ran better then ever. If a misfire then switch out the coils and see if it changes from 5 to whatever other one. IMO