Newbie-2001 GTP with lifter noise plus more.

Could be a lifter not pumping up (or collapsed). Could also be a cause of above problems, obviously. Check the plugs and wires too.

the intake manifold gasket went bad in my brothers GTP at 39K miles, and mine started to leak at 75K miles.

they've changed to an aluminum gasket, so when you buy new ones ask for a 2004+ grand prix. if you get the plastic gaskets avoid using dexcool, as it seems to be the culprit.

If the car sits for a while will the oil thin out.. Ive heard Lucas is good for lifter noise....

-v

I have been too lazy to change the HG
I have just been adding a pint of oil treatment when the noise comes back
And when the coolant fluid needs re-filing I add water.
I am going to flush out the radiator soon and just fill it with antifreeze.
Maybe in the spring I’ll get to the HG.

I have been too lazy to change the HG

Maybe in the spring I’ll get to the HG.

it wont be the head gasket , it will be the lower intake manifold gaskets.

I have bought several 3800 cars that were diagnosed by mechanics ,and marketed by sellers as blown head gaskets or cracked heads as well as a few NA listed with seized engines that all just neede intake gaskets.

if you ever have a chance to buy a na car that is seized pull all 6 plugs , if all 6 are wet spin it over with the plugs out and all the coolant will get pushed out the spark plug holes , throw a good set of plugs in it and fire it up , it will run decent until the t stat open make sure you shut it off before it hydrolocks again

the misfire could be a crusty coil terminal , a crack plug ,a bad wire < most likely

after that its time to swap coil packs to see if the misfire moves and last change out the ignition control module ( coils mount on top of this)

the cylinder with the misfire may simply be getting more coolant than the others where you have a known gasket issue

the intake manifold gasket went bad in my brothers GTP at 39K miles, and mine started to leak at 75K miles.

they've changed to an aluminum gasket, so when you buy new ones ask for a 2004+ grand prix. if you get the plastic gaskets avoid using dexcool, as it seems to be the culprit.

is there anything else i need from the 2004 application besides the intake manifold gasket?
Do i need to modify the the 2004 gasket in any way?
And as far as the SC gasket do i use the 2001 (year of my car) or one for the 2004 year application?
thanks

is there anything else i need from the 2004 application besides the intake manifold gasket?
Do i need to modify the the 2004 gasket in any way?
And as far as the SC gasket do i use the 2001 (year of my car) or one for the 2004 year application?
thanks

nope the lower intake gaskets are a direct fit....its the same gasket, just different material

you'll need the supercharger gasket for your year (gen 3 m90)

nope the lower intake gaskets are a direct fit....its the same gasket, just different material

you'll need the supercharger gasket for your year (gen 3 m90)

thanks dude
Went to the dealer today and picked up the Intake and SC gaskets
i told the counter guy about 2004 on the 2001 engine and he said that it only shows one number for both years.
anyways the Intake gasket is made out of aluminum so it should be good.
Just need to get the injectors O-rings and 160* thermostat