You can type here any text you want

Newbie jumped timing

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bayboy87natl

Newbie here i was told my 87gn we2 jumped timing and has 30psi all cylinders.My ? is if it jumped timing will that show low compression i have owned my car for 7 years with no problems all stock .One morning it started very rough than i turned it off now it wont start perioed.I had no problems prior,oil is good,coolant good.Can low compression happen if car jumped timing.Thank you for any info.

I drove car to shop but was gutless,than after mechanic did comp/test car would not start.He told me it jumped timing with low comp/30 psi will jumped timing cause low compression

If the timing gear is nylon and it has broken apart and jumped time, yes, compression will be low on all cylinders. The only other reason I can think of would be a totaly plugged intake. No air in, no compression. I can't imagine that being the case. It's probably the timing chain.

You probably have a timing sprocket failure. When the stock cam sprocket fails, chunks of the nylon gear end up in the oil pan. Be 100% sure that your repair shop removes the oil pan and cleans out all the debris from the pan and the oil pump pickup. If you do not do this, you can almost always count on a second (more expensive) failure of the main and rod bearings.

The oil pan is relatively easy to remove and replace on these cars, don't let them talk you out of it!!!!

You have probably bent all the ex valves. If the
Engine spins over very fast when cranking pull the rockers and put compressed air in the cylinders

You better hope that the pickup bypass wasn't open because the nylon pieces clogged the pickup. Id pull the pan and oil pump apart before pulling the timing cover. If the bits of nylon are in the pump then just pull the engine.

thank you for the replys, i have never had a prob with my gn i baby it.Just one morning it startedup real rough and missing than went to shop and never ran after that bummer.

You better hope that the pickup bypass wasn't open because the nylon pieces clogged the pickup. Id pull the pan and oil pump apart before pulling the timing cover. If the bits of nylon are in the pump then just pull the engine.
thank u

You probably have a timing sprocket failure. When the stock cam sprocket fails, chunks of the nylon gear end up in the oil pan. Be 100% sure that your repair shop removes the oil pan and cleans out all the debris from the pan and the oil pump pickup. If you do not do this, you can almost always count on a second (more expensive) failure of the main and rod bearings.

The oil pan is relatively easy to remove and replace on these cars, don't let them talk you out of it!!!!
exactlty it turns over very fast than i here a muffle/light back fire exhaust real faint sorta like a bubble noise

You have probably bent all the ex valves. If the
Engine spins over very fast when cranking pull the rockers and put compressed air in the cylinders
exaqctly it turns over very fast w/ a muffle quite backfire out exhaust

Back