You can type here any text you want

NHRA Firewall Sheetmetal thickness??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cheeseburger

Is there a minimum thickness required for a fire wall between the trunk and back seat and speaker shelf?

Only asking for safety reason's because they most likely never check.

TIA.

Thanks for the replies, does anyone have a link to the rules pertaining to this?
Or a positive answer?

TIA.

The rule is 7.4 under General Regulations and states.
7:4 Firewalls
Each car in competition must be equipped with a minimum .032 inch aluminum or .024 inch steel firewall, extending from side to side of the body and from the top of the engine compartments upper seal (hood, cowl, ore deck) to the bottom of the floor and /or bellypan. Firewall must provide a bulkhead between the engine and/or fuel tank and driver compartment. All holes in the firewall must be sealed with aluminum or steel. In certain instances, fiberglass, carbon fiber, or other composites may be used. See Class Requirements or consult NHRA. Use of magnesium prohibited

Getting a rule book helps, if your not sure contact your division tech director.

I hope that helps

And just because I had the table handy, 0.024" mild steel is 24 gauge and weighs 1 lb per square foot, while 0.032" aluminum is 20 gauge and weighs 0.45 lbs per square foot. www.mcmaster.com is always a good online starting point for prices and info on lots of hardware type stuff, but you can usually beat their prices if you shop around. Can't beat their service, though, which is why I order from them 2-4 times a week at work :-).

Back