NHRA Stock Eliminator

lordmikef

Planning on running my 87 gn in stock eliminator for the second half of the year. My question is, are the heads on the 1989 turbo trans am the same as the heads on the 87 grand national. I have been told they are different, but i know that the NHRA rates them as identical motors with the same factored horsepower of 290. Any input would help.

the tta's I though were actually front wheel drive heads, for clearance reasons.

Originally posted by lordmikef
My question is, are the heads on the 1989 turbo trans am the same as the heads on the 87 grand national. I have been told they are different, but i know that the NHRA rates them as identical motors with the same factored horsepower of 290. Any input would help.

They're completely different. They might use the same head bolts, valves, and springs, but that's about it. To someone that knows, the differences are very apparent. At a glance the TR heads have Valve cover bolts at the perimeter of the head, and the TTA heads use center hold downs.

Only the GN heads [#-8445] are legal for NHRA stock class on your car.

Go to the NHRA web site and you will find the specs for them, as well as other parts and allowances.

I understand that I can not use the TTA heads, but after talking with a friend of mine, Joe Gabbarine, who sold his stock eliminator TTA to John Gallina way back when, he informed me on the difference with the heads. I know they are rated at the same horsepower of 290. I was just wondering if anyone had any eperience comparing these heads, flow #'s would help. I have recently flowed my set of virgin GN heads and havnt been able to pick up a set of virgin tta heads. Once the valve jobs is done on my set of heads, i won't get accurate numbers. I'm sure that down the road, when the set I have is preped to be competitive, I will have to get a set of tta heads. Till then, any help is appreiciated.

john gallina is selling the tta your talking about. the motor has been rebuilt and a bunch of other change's. now runs a motec. should be an ad in national dragster everyother week until it sells. kenny dutweiller flowed a few sets of the tta heads to find the best numbers. he maybe able to help you on the #'s.

I've seen that car posted on many of the sites. It's a nice car. Needs some frame connectors or aluminum body mounts. Left front is two in the air and the right front is still on the ground on the launch. It is very fast though. In g/sa, I believe they set the record at a 10.89. Which is 1.41 under the index. Being that much faster than the rest of the field, I don't know why you would want instant horsepower from the nhra.

Originally posted by lordmikef
I've seen that car posted on many of the sites. It's a nice car. Needs some frame connectors or aluminum body mounts. Left front is two in the air and the right front is still on the ground on the launch. It is very fast though. In g/sa, I believe they set the record at a 10.89. Which is 1.41 under the index. Being that much faster than the rest of the field, I don't know why you would want instant horsepower from the nhra.
it must be old photo's. the now has sub frame connectors, custom made crossmember and torque arm and leaves very stright. the car set that record @10.83 ajusted in tuson. so we were not horsepowered. also the car is set up to run FIA/D and FIA/E. i reset the FIA/D with it here in vegas last oct. at the nationals. its a fun car to run and is pretty consistent.