Nissan 350Z

BenPutnam

I left work a little early because we were having people over for a BBQ, it had been storming all day but the sun had come out bright about an hour earlier and now it was hot and humid. After a week of grey rainy weather I was excited to see the sun no matter how hot it was. I pulled out of our office complex onto the main road, traffic was light since it was only 4:30pm and I just had a hunch today I would meet someone of like mind that might want to challenge the GN. I rolled down the windows, turned on the radio and cruised along just under the speed limit waiting for something fast to come along. After about a mile I spotted that familiar Nissan Z car blue color up ahead stopped at a light in the left lane surrounded by about 30 other cars. This wasn’t exactly what I was looking for but it would do. Knowing the traffic patterns of this little area I knew there was a good chance was going to get on the interstate about a mile up the road and so was I. I needed to be in his lane but I knew the right lane moves much faster than the left and if I stayed in it I could work my way up to him and catch someone asleep at the wheel around him somewhere. So sure enough the car in front of him was a woman that appeared to be in her 70s and was leaving a good solid 25 car length following distance so as I went past them both I pushed the gas just hard enough to make the transmission downshift and possible get this fellow’s attention, I quickly let out of the gas and merged into his lane in front of the woman then the left turn lane for the interstate. The woman went straight and he merged into the turn lane behind me. Up ahead at the light the single turn lane we were in was joined by a second turn lane on the left which most people move over into when they approach the light. The reason they all get in the left lane is because once you pass through the light and turn onto the interstate ramp those two lanes merge back together into the left lane. I usually use the right lane because there is nobody in it and I’m pretty confident I will have no problem merging up ahead, this guy apparently felt the same way and pulled in behind me in the right lane. As the light turned green and I rounded the corner onto the ramp I gave it just enough gas to get out in front of the car in the left lane, Mr. Z quickly took the opportunity to move over in front of them and I merged over in front of him before he could close the gap between us enough to block me out. As we merged onto the interstate I took it easy because I knew there are usually two cops protecting the citizens with radar one about 200 yards past the ramp and another about a mile ahead, Mr. Z must have known this too because he stayed in behind me in the middle lane as we past the first empty protection point and were going over a sight incline where we would have a clear view of the second. As we approached the second protection point I could see there was no cop there and opened my electric exhaust cutout, downshifted to D and watched in my rear view as Mr. Z (who had backed off quite a bit) was coming on really fast now and preparing to swing out and pass. When his front tire was somewhere around my door I unleashed the beast, he made it about a half a car length in front of me before I caught him and put about 20 car lengths on him until I saw him let out of it. I slowed down, and got in the right lane, and rolled down the window as he caught up. He pulled up alongside me smiling and giving me the thumbs up, I smiled, waved back, slowed back down to cruising speed and headed home for some good BBQ.